Lt. Commander
My friend wants to know why some people in the movies would open their uniform and leave the flap down, and some leave it clasped.

My answer to him was I thought it had to do with on-duty/off-duty or it had to do with being in an unofficial capacity.

We tried looking it up online but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know?

Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Red cloth hides blood. Opening the jacket allows a strategically placed white area for the blood of your crew to be smeared, increasing the drama of all scenes thereafter.

Canon, sucka.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-21-2011, 01:35 PM
I think Kirk hated the uniform. In almost every scene he is wearing it, he has it unclasped. Only when he is doing anything official does he have it buttoned up. In fact, in most of the movies, he wears an alternate uniform.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhighison View Post
Red cloth hides blood. Opening the jacket allows a strategically placed white area for the blood of your crew to be smeared, increasing the drama of all scenes thereafter.

Canon, sucka.
There you go...
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMax View Post
My friend wants to know why some people in the movies would open their uniform and leave the flap down, and some leave it clasped.

My answer to him was I thought it had to do with on-duty/off-duty or it had to do with being in an unofficial capacity.

We tried looking it up online but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know?

Thanks
Far as I know there's no "in-story" reason. Perhaps the uniforms were warm and this helped them cool off. But in any case, it didn't signify anything like duty status or anything like that.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-21-2011, 02:27 PM
From Memory Alpha:

Quote:
The last major change was to redesign the flap of the double-breasted jacket so that it would actually open. This was something Meyer wanted, because he felt the lighter color on the inside of the flap would frame the actors' faces better.
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Tr..._Khan#Costumes
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Other than the Dramatic/Cinematic reasons behind the scenes, in universe I'd say it's a bit like loosening your tie after work or whatnot.

Technically, it's probably supposed to be closed while on duty, but depending on your commanding officer, you might get away with leaving it open. It's a bit like Picard allowing Troi to wear whatever she wanted until Jellico came along and made her wear a regulation uniform. If your Captain doesn't mind, leave that sucker open.

Other than the already mentioned behind the scenes reasons, I'll also add that it gave the actors something to play with. Actors like to do things with their hands when they can. It also allows the dramatic opening, like the dramatic sunglasses removal.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Having worn one, I can say with confidence that one major reason to unclasp them is because they're not all that comfortable. The modern day equivalent is unbuttoning the top button of your shirt, or loosening your tie. When worn clasped, you're wearing a turtleneck sweater, and 4 layers of wool fabric over your chest, with 2 layers of piping, lined with bits of metal chain, and snaps. While the turtleneck keeps all that mess from rubbing on your throat, it can get quite warm, and a little bit irritating having that lump of fabric at the throat.

Popping the snaps on the flap drops half of that fabric away from your throat.

I'm sure the other reasons (framing faces/bloody hand prints) are perfectly valid.. but under studio lights, jumping around in that thing doing take after take.. I couldn't imagine. Wearing one at summer-time conventions was uncomfortable enough as is.

it always felt like cheating to wear my Third season TNG uniform. in comparison, one layer of Polyester was sooo much cooler.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSix
The modern day equivalent is unbuttoning the top button of your shirt, or loosening your tie.
heh, I Ninjaed your reason. :p
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Personally, I think that it makes the Uniform look a bit more dignified, don't know why, it just does. I also would like this kind of thing to be added to the Veterans Uniform, because it reminds me so much of the TWOK Uniform, that's the main reason I like it. But anyway, I've worn the Uniform, it is kinda uncomfortable, so I guess that's the reason/