Lt. Commander
I just wanted to post this to the Devs just so they know. A recent patch which required a computer to have updated drivers, has made it so I can't play STO. My computer, a 2008 sony Vaio, for some reason cannot handle updating drivers. It crashes the computer and nearly wiped out all my writing and photos that were on it before when I tried to update them.

I just wanted the Devs to know, that because of that issue, I will most likely not be able to play STO until late July when I can actually afford my computer to be updated to Windows XP (I currently have vista horrible system by the way). I'm really frustrated by that, but what are you going to?

I started a thread and was helped by some very helpful forum users (especially Commander-bob, thanks for trying ) but it did'nt work.

Just wanted the Devs to know that and was curious to see if any other people are having a similar issue?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-21-2011, 04:50 PM
u mean downgraded to xp XD (though i agree that its actually an upgrade =P).

Can't say I've ever had this issue with a computer
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-21-2011, 08:15 PM
My laptop has Vista, and I have experienced very few issues, almost all of which could be traced back to operator headspace and timing, AKA operator error. To save you some time and heartache, here's a suggestion to get you up and running quickly:
  • Backup all your important files, regularly.
  • Create a Restore Point.
  • Download the new drivers to your desktop.
  • Uninstall the old drivers.
  • Install the new drivers.
  • Start up STO.

Works for me every time I need to update drivers.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by forresto View Post
A recent patch which required a computer to have updated drivers, has made it so I can't play STO. My computer, a 2008 sony Vaio, for some reason cannot handle updating drivers.
Just wanted the Devs to know that and was curious to see if any other people are having a similar issue?
if the system cant handle a driver update, its not the game, that is the problem, its the computer.
I'm sure that you've done the basics by now ie AV Malware etc etc so that wouldnt' help, have you had a tech from a decent local place look at it (not a big box place)? see if they can dig it out, (assuming of course you can afford it. and why not just wipe and get win 7
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit View Post
u mean downgraded to xp XD (though i agree that its actually an upgrade =P).

Can't say I've ever had this issue with a computer
Actually win 7 would be the upgrade, to both imo. I started with vista shortly after SP1 came out and while it had its problems it worked at least... when getting my current pc I went with 7, happy to say its a marked improvement over vista... though it still has similar irritations with networking and sharing drives I've noticed. still better than xp imo.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatness View Post
Actually win 7 would be the upgrade, to both imo. I started with vista shortly after SP1 came out and while it had its problems it worked at least... when getting my current pc I went with 7, happy to say its a marked improvement over vista... though it still has similar irritations with networking and sharing drives I've noticed. still better than xp imo.
i mean xp is better than vista so going from vista to xp would kinda be an upgrade =P. I hated vista soooo much. I had a system with 2GB of RAM, and I couldn't play any games cause my memory would max out (no viruses, etc and no programs running in the background). Was very annoying
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-21-2011, 09:13 PM
I'd also suggest going from Vista to Win7, not XP. Win7 is really superior to XP (and especially Vista), and a 2008 computer should handle it fine. (My 2007 Netbook handled going to Win7 flawlessly).
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-21-2011, 10:32 PM
As someone who has seen the code base for NT5.1, NT6.0, and NT6.1, I can tell you that going down the track is inherently worse, though it's in different ways. NT5.1, the code base for XP, is garbage at driver management and networking security. Actually, it's just garbage at security to begin with. NT5.1 is also horrible at overall internet implementation. The 6.0 kernel introduced a lot of security features (trufax, Vista is more secure than OSX, it gets hit more because of sample size) but the file management wasn't optimal and some of the security features bottlenecked networking.

It should also be noted that throughout development, the 6.0 kernel OS derivatives were more stable than the 5.1 kernel was at similar lengths of development time. There was just a larger sample and the previous OS was XP, not ME.

But that's all beside the point. Vista is not responsible for drivers being bad. That would be Sony. And downgrading the OS will not make driver issues go away, it will only exacerbate them. Chances are, if your GPU is having driver issues like you describe, the GPU is checking out.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Try turning off all the resource-hogging stuff that runs in the background, like the sidebar gadget thing, and Aero.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-22-2011, 02:15 AM
I have one question...How does a driver update nearly wipe out your personal files and photos? I have had some bad driver updates in the past, but no of them actually put my personal files and photos in danger of being lost.

Driver updates don't have anything to do with your personal files and photos.