Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
04-22-2011, 02:12 AM
this should prob be in the tech support forum.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
04-22-2011, 02:29 AM
From a total XP fanboi; Get Windows 7. While it is not perfect, as it sits it is full of win. I made the switch from XP shortly after Win7 came out based on recommendations from many beta testers. I have never regretted the decision. Getting used to the new OS is more culture shock than a learning curve. I was treating it like XP within hours of finishing the install. Easiest install to date as well, worst part is the waiting for all of the OS and driver updates. It does most everything automatically.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
04-22-2011, 03:02 AM
Strangely enough I disagree that Windows XP is an upgrade. For me Vista runs better then XP ever did. Actually one of my computers windows XP did not work at all on but Vista worked amazingly on. If you have less then 2GB of ram and you are running a 32bit build of XP then XP might be faster. If you have 4GB+ ram and 64bit build then Vista is definitely faster and more reliable then XP was. XP64 was actually so bad that microsoft gave people free upgrdes to Vista 64. So if you want to use 64bit hardware effectively you need to use Vista or Windows 7.

When Vista first come out the biggest problems it had was being loaded on systems below the minimum system requirements. (You can actually look that up, intel basically paid microsoft to get below standard systems approved) and systems with not enough ram. However XP runs very poorly on systems with a lot of ram. I know it is popular to hate vista but it does work pretty well for a microsoft os.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
04-22-2011, 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by machocyclone View Post
I have one question...How does a driver update nearly wipe out your personal files and photos? I have had some bad driver updates in the past, but no of them actually put my personal files and photos in danger of being lost.

Driver updates don't have anything to do with your personal files and photos.
It doesn't, but Vista does have some known issues that can cause driver updates to trash the registry and if you don't know the registry hack to fix it (it's fairly easy if you know your way around regedit, most cases are just a permissions issue that prevents drivers or related services from working, but it's also very poorly documented and the knowledgebase articles on it only relate to networking - it can happen with any driver or service) the next solution is a reinstall.

If you depend on a typical service shop or worse yet Geek Squad, they'll usually go to the second option first. It's a lot easier, and they can bill you for the 2-4 hours the install runs mostly unattended, rather than the half hour of actual work needed to fix the issue.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
04-22-2011, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
It doesn't, but Vista does have some known issues that can cause driver updates to trash the registry and if you don't know the registry hack to fix it (it's fairly easy if you know your way around regedit, most cases are just a permissions issue that prevents drivers or related services from working, but it's also very poorly documented and the knowledgebase articles on it only relate to networking - it can happen with any driver or service) the next solution is a reinstall.

If you depend on a typical service shop or worse yet Geek Squad, they'll usually go to the second option first. It's a lot easier, and they can bill you for the 2-4 hours the install runs mostly unattended, rather than the half hour of actual work needed to fix the issue.
Registry issues also wouldn't corrupt Documents. Even at the worst case and you lose read access to your Document folders [which isn't a default security setting], you could still access them with the Administrator login, or any other account that happens to have Administrator access.

Even with a reinstall, you shouldn't lose your documents, unless you decide you really must reformat, but that's really not necessary either.

Permission issues with drivers and related services really sounds like it's attempting to use an XP-era driver installer instead of a Vista-era, or it's a poorly written driver that insists on Ring0 access, which Vista, kinda rightfully makes difficult to install.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
04-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiella View Post
Registry issues also wouldn't corrupt Documents. Even at the worst case and you lose read access to your Document folders [which isn't a default security setting], you could still access them with the Administrator login, or any other account that happens to have Administrator access.

Even with a reinstall, you shouldn't lose your documents, unless you decide you really must reformat, but that's really not necessary either.

Permission issues with drivers and related services really sounds like it's attempting to use an XP-era driver installer instead of a Vista-era, or it's a poorly written driver that insists on Ring0 access, which Vista, kinda rightfully makes difficult to install.
This, more or less. And please, let's leave ad hominems against other companies out of the discussion. You never know when someone who works for them might be around. Wink wink, nudge nudge.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
04-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiella View Post
Registry issues also wouldn't corrupt Documents. Even at the worst case and you lose read access to your Document folders [which isn't a default security setting], you could still access them with the Administrator login, or any other account that happens to have Administrator access.

Even with a reinstall, you shouldn't lose your documents, unless you decide you really must reformat, but that's really not necessary either.

Permission issues with drivers and related services really sounds like it's attempting to use an XP-era driver installer instead of a Vista-era, or it's a poorly written driver that insists on Ring0 access, which Vista, kinda rightfully makes difficult to install.
Registry issues won't, but most manufacturer's restores will - nondestructive restore seems to be out of favor the last five years for some reason, at least four major manufacturers don't even include it in their recovery material. Toshiba Satellites (OP mentions Toshiba) supposedly started including it again, I haven't seen a model later than 2009, but for some time did not unless you contacted support and bought recovery disks, the recovery partition was destructive only.

Also, it's not an XP driver issue. It's a known issue with Vista itself (it's most common occurrence, see link, is with native services, not even third party components). Here's some more useful info on it, the KB articles are entirely useless - even without the article linking the wrong one. It's also quite common with onboard sound drivers (the fix is the same, but it's not SERVICE that needs the permissions), and it also can knock out services like the plug and play host, leaving the existing setup functional but unchangeable, and can even break the installer service causing any .msi based installer to give misleading administrator permission errors.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
04-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Correct me if I am wrong here but doesn't the Sony Viao require that you use Sony specific drivers? Similar to what HP use to (maybe still does?) require).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
04-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruug View Post
Correct me if I am wrong here but doesn't the Sony Viao require that you use Sony specific drivers? Similar to what HP use to (maybe still does?) require).
^^^

Unfortunately this - if there isn't an updated driver on the Sony VIAO support site; you can try Google and see if anyone has done a 'hacked ' version of a newer driver that will work <--- BUT, if you go this route, be sure to scan and look around to make sure there's nothing malicious; and as always use anything you find at your own risk.

And if you need it, here's the Sony Driver site (link)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
04-23-2011, 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by forresto View Post
I just wanted to post this to the Devs just so they know. A recent patch which required a computer to have updated drivers, has made it so I can't play STO. My computer, a 2008 sony Vaio, for some reason cannot handle updating drivers. It crashes the computer
Greetings,

If the drivers are somehow causing the game, OS, or other applications to crash, you can roll back the driver update in Device Manager. Simply go into System in Control Panel (or press Windows key + Pause/Break key), go into Device Manager, locate the device with the suspected bad driver, go into the properties for it and there should be a "Rollback driver" button on the "Driver" tab.

Official instructions from Microsoft are here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283657 You could also use System Restore to undo the update if desired.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:41 PM.