Lt. Commander
I have a few questions for every one:

By the way.. I have spent 4 hours this morning trying to get the game to load without Cryptic errors.. Just finished the 5th attempt with NO LOCK...

1) - Why, when we get a new PATCH.. It takes DAYS for me to be able to start the game without REPEATEDLY crashing on load-up, or Retrieving Character screen with "Oops a Cryptic error has....."

2) - Why, when I delet the Texture File (Hogg) that is 1.2 meg in size, I restart the game, verify files, and get a 5028meg file update, when I JUST deleted a 1.2 meg file AND completed loading the Patch ??

3) Why - With the April 21 Patch, does the game CRASH during GROUND Combat ?? Then, I have to repeat the process of reloading, verifying, get a couple MORE 5028meg updates ??

4) Why - Does Cryptic Support respond with CANNED responses to open game tickets with ABSOLUTELY NO resolution or closure ??

5) - Why is a STANDARD Response in the forums for TECH Issues : .."you must have a corrupt install, Uninstall and reload.." When I've ben playing the game WITHOUT issue between patches ??

6) - Why is Cryptic focusing on "sect UNIFORMS" and ANOTHER LOW Tier level Science ship (Oberth) when the Klingon's have barely enough to play the game, and RA/VA level relies on UGC missions to keep game play interesting ??

7) - Why do I keep Playing and paying my bucks for a MMO with issues ?? I know why.. I am being optomistic that the issues will be resolved and anxiously awaiting improvements.. Gotta say, I do love the game and for the most part, the efforts of Cryptic Staff and keeping the bubble-gum and Band-aides in place.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Quote:
2) - Why, when I delet the Texture File (Hogg) that is 1.2 meg in size, I restart the game, verify files, and get a 5028meg file update, when I JUST deleted a 1.2 meg file AND completed loading the Patch ??
Why delete that file anyways when you need the textures to see the game.
And Cryptic isnt the only company that has problems when releasing a patch. Blizzard had, and probably still do, have crash and lag issues when they release patches for WoW. It's computers that just dont want to behave the way we want them to. Today's patch was actualy fast, they saw what problems popped up and fixed them within 24 hours. I know on WoW you wait for weeks for a fix to happen.
Also dont forget that this MMO is only a year old and i think its come a long way from beta with improvements and new stuff. I can't wait to see what they release with season 4.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjChrisX
Why delete that file anyways when you need the textures to see the game.
I appreciate your response, but:

Checking the Tech Support guide recommended deleting the Textures file, and IIRC, that trouble shooting step has not been modified.

I too, am looking forward to Season 4 and ALL the neat stuff the Engineer Forum has listed..

However, the game crashed on me last night during ground combat in the "Patrol the Bejor Sector... Planet Melnor (?)".. 3 hours later I STILL could not get the game to load, and for the last 2.5 hours, STILL NOT LOADING.. Cryptic errors on Launch, then The Warp Screen, then the "Retrieving Character List"..

So, for the last 5.5 man hours, the game will NOT load. Thanks..
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-22-2011, 07:59 AM
repeated corrupted files 95% of the time is the owners own pc causing the problem.

1. using a antivirus program like panda 2011 will corrupt the files on download
2. using a weak wireless connection
3. failing or bad memory
4. weak or failing cpu
5. bad or failing hard drive.
6. weak or failing power supply (very commmon problem)
7. having the game installed in the program file floder on vista and win 7 systems (because of the security feature in windows on files in those directories)

just a note since beta I have never had a corrupted hogg file. where if it was the patch corrupting the file I should have experienced it at sometime.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegasusMD
repeated corrupted files 95% of the time is the owners own pc causing the problem.

1. using a antivirus program like panda 2011 will corrupt the files on download [CA Anti Virus]
2. using a weak wireless connection [NetTest= 19.6mps Down; 6.2mps Up]
3. failing or bad memory [Oz Gold <3months old]
4. weak or failing cpu [Quad 2 duo 1 year old]
5. bad or failing hard drive.[SSd 3months old]
6. weak or failing power supply (very commmon problem) [950watt 2 months old]
7. having the game installed in the program file floder on vista and win 7 systems (because of the security feature in windows on files in those directories) [Win Xp Sp3, Installed on seperate drive, not in Program Files]

just a note since beta I have never had a corrupted hogg file. where if it was the patch corrupting the file I should have experienced it at sometime.
So.. should I just Wipe my current Install and reinstall again ?? Which saved files should I keep ?? Don't want to loose my progress.. Thanks bunches..
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-22-2011, 08:26 AM
nothing of your game progress is saved on the PC it is all saved server side.

as far as your anti virus I haven't heard of any problems with it but if you can exclude the game directory from scanning I would do that.

added note if you use ATI graphic card there is problems with using dynamic lighting will crash on away missions. fix is to turn off dynamic lighting or some poeple have been able to keep in on but reduce the number of light sources to prevent the crashes.

if you remove the hogg files besure to remove them from the pts folder also. for the launcher will grab the hogg files from there to save downloads if those files are current versions.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-23-2011, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddScott
I have a few questions for every one:
5) - Why is a STANDARD Response in the forums for TECH Issues : .."you must have a corrupt install, Uninstall and reload.." When I've ben playing the game WITHOUT issue between patches ??
Because I (and I would assume a lot of other players) never have experienced this behavior from STO (and I've been playing since Oct. 2009 in closed beta.) Usually something like this is related to perhaps Anti-Virus software doing something that corrupts the patch as it downloads; or a Firewall configuration issue on the PC/Laptop; both of which woyuld be a possible issue witn your individual PC.
Lt. Commander
# 8 Old Dell Studio Laptop
04-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Hmmm....well. I loaded up STO on my 4 year old Dell Studio laptop about 6 months ago when I moved from the US to Turkey. I haven't had any problems at all loading or playing the game. Sometimes when I try to up the graphics a bit I get some serious frame drops, but other than that it runs really smooth for me. I don't have the nice graphics that I got on my desktop, but at least I can enjoy the game.

Perhaps you should completely uninstall the game to include deleting all the sub folders where the game loads too. Then do a system scan, virus scan, and run disk clean up. Then do a fresh install and log in and let all the patches load with the launcher. Once you do that, don't engage....close the launcher and restart your PC. Then try running the game.

If you still get issues it has got to be something with your hardware.