Lt. Commander
# 1 Combine the queues!
04-27-2011, 11:50 PM
There are some major issues with the current queue system. Putting aside that I just spent a frustrating 10 minutes with a 5 man team waiting for FvK to pop when there were 5 people on the other side and no go, the shrinking PvP population is making having three separate queues totally impractical.

To put it simply, having three queues divides the community too much. KvK already may as well simply not exist (which is a shame because KvK is one of the more interesting and fun gametypes), and having people queued in both FvF and KvF frequently creates conflicts where people look at the queues and think "We have have enough people, why am I not getting a game?"

It's time that STO moved to a single combined queue. In this case everyone joins that same queue and when there are two full teams they will get a pop. Either team could be Klingon or Federation, so you end up with the possibility of FvF, FvK, and KvK all rolled into one. Players end up getting more variety and KvK matches get raised from the dead. Queues will go faster because there are no conflicts and you have everyone who wants to do PvP all in the same pool to work with. Also with faster queues more people will be more likely to want to PvP -- the current situation looks something like: Player queues for PvP, PvP takes too long to get going, player does some PvE, PvP queue pops in the middle of a mission, player leaves queue and ****s everyone over since he does not want to lose PvE progress. THIS IS BAD CRYPTIC.

Couple this with some kind of ranking system (either background or otherwise. Could be as simple as win-lose ratio to begin with) and you can tweak the system so that when there are multiple teams in the queue it will try and match teams that have similair ability to avoid lopsided matches. You can even take a page out of Starcraft 2 and offer increased/decreased rewards and penalties (or penalties if that ever comes into play) for matches where there is an obvious imbalance.

As much as we pay attention on balance, infrastructure is just as important, and maybe more. It's about time we (and Cryptic) gave it a thought.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Another idea, if there are three players on each side why can't we get a 3v3 going? And when we have less than 5 people per team why does the system try to get more players to come in half way through the match and disrupt things?

Ideas:
  • Have the queue support 5v5, 4v4, 3v3, heck, perhaps even 2v2 while favouring more players per side when possible
  • Scale the kil counts with the number of players. Eg. 15 kills for 5v5, 12 for 4v4, 9 for 3v3, 6 for 2v2
  • Don't try to add people to existinng games except to balance out team numbers (so 4v3 to 4v4)

Would this not be infinitely better? Both in terms of getting games going and a giant increase in variety?
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-28-2011, 02:06 AM
Personally I prefer having the option of which game type I am going to play, so I would be against combining all queues. That said however, in principle I have no issue with combining the factions queues, so there is only 1 CnH queue, 1 Arena etc... No more FvF/FvK/KvK, just 1 queue for the game type.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-28-2011, 02:12 AM
Yes, I should elaborate that I'm not advocating combining game type, just the faction queues.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-28-2011, 02:29 AM
that clarifies that
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-28-2011, 04:00 AM
Combining the faction queues is a good idea.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-28-2011, 04:11 AM
Well I'm pretty sure if the F and K queues are combined again, the "klingons are OP" chorus on forums will start again.

So...if you want to nerf klingons, merge the queues :p

Also, it may lead to decrease of good ol' Puggin as those "average" feds will just give up and do nothing in KvF matches (suicide runs in arenas, idling at base in CaH), so they get their badges. So the change could actually lower the amount of people interested in pvp (aka trying to win).

So if you really want to merge the queues again for some obscure reason, be sure to implement ways to negate the inevitable impact this change will have.

Its pretty obvious but I say it again, people who want fight klingons on F side, already do join the KvF queues. And premades already fight premades, so I fail to see the reason for this. Because even if there was more matches played, their quality would drop rapidly.

I would rather wait 15 minutes in queue for a good match, than to have match every 3 min and steamroll my enemy who removed his shields and let me destroy him. But then again, I do not play for ego stroking (not saying anyone in this thread does, before some touchy people take it personal ).
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-28-2011, 04:57 AM
The Klingons are not overpowered. the problem lies with the Feds being unable to work as a team. Some Fed groups work together and those are the fun matches, but a large percentage of Fed teams just shoot at whoever and that allows the KDF to slaughter them.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-28-2011, 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindmage View Post
The Klingons are not overpowered. the problem lies with the Feds being unable to work as a team. Some Fed groups work together and those are the fun matches, but a large percentage of Fed teams just shoot at whoever and that allows the KDF to slaughter them.
Oh really ? Cpt.Obvious, I wouldn't notice ? thanks for clarifying that but how this well known fact, makes people stop post such things on forums and start their "Klingons are OP" chorus again ? It wont, same as it didn't in the past...that reminds me, is Azurian still playing ? I miss him a lot.

I think such change would do more harm than good, and overall would worsen the playing experience for a lot more players, and not many players would benefit from that.

I think the only people it would benefits, its average pugging klingon player, who wants his emblems only, but is not interested in pvp that much. Because he would get his emblems faster.

Do you remember why FvF was implemented anyway ? No, it was not because there were so many players interested in PVP that we did need to split the queues...it was the "Klingons (cloak) is OP" chorus.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Captain Obvious! hahahaha

And yea, in fairness FvF did seem to come in as a reaction to the crap, uncoordinated fed pugs.