Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
04-22-2011, 11:42 AM
The beam range penalty is just not as harsh. Still I think you will only see around 60% dmg at 9.5k. Anything with in 5k is almost full power on beams. BOL will hit hard with in 6k at 125 power those are the two most important factors. I don't bother with bats much anymore... I'll fire a round of cannons at 5-6k then wait till I'm almost on top of someone for the BOL that is normaly enough time for weapon power to return as long as your not spamming the cannons after the first round.

To the OP

Hard BOL shots ONLY happen if you are running one beam. Addional beams have long power drain and return cycles and trying to hit consistant full power BOL shots will be hard. Always bind your DBB to its own fire key so....

/bind f "+TrayExecByTray 3 0"
then put your dual beam bank on row 4 first slot
/bind space "+TrayExecByTray 3 1 $$ +TrayExecByTray 3 2 +TrayExecByTray 3 3"
then put your 3 other frontal weapons in the next 3 slots... you can add a couple more if you want your rear ones in there too. Or you can bind them to another key as well... what ever suits your fancy. Or if you have a torp you can bind that somwhere else too....

Moral is don't ever use the games Fire All Weapons option.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
04-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Beam Overload is far from over powered. Unlike that other beam "skill" that was suggested, BO has a number of balances built in. You get one shot at it, barring the use of Tactical Initiative or maybe preloading, so it either works or it doesn't. Also, it doesn't ignore ACC and DEF mods so you can very easily waste this shot and negate almost your entire alpha. The 50 points of power drain is no small issue either, so unlike certain other beam "skills" where you click it and forget it, it's important to time your shot.

Sometimes resistance doesn't even matter. Sometimes you miss or maybe you don't get one of those sexy crits. It's a fun ability. Don't give up on it!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
04-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Yeah im just hitting that wall of frustration where other people tear throgh my shields. Even if i were to fly defensively with shield power at 125 and epts and tss up. I do that when i know i am going to go down in a dogfight.

I am amazed at how easy great pvpers make it seem. I had a defiant r on my ass the other night, couldnt shake him and just watched my sheilds melt away while my AP alpha + BOiii bounced off him.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
04-22-2011, 08:54 PM
I know exactly what you mean. I was feeling pretty smart trying to cap a point with Shields at 100 and Engines at 50 to get full resist and def bonus but dude dropped out of cloak and popped me like... corn... or something else that pops. Anyway, it was bad. Of course, as tends to be my problem in a lot of situations a dog fight of sorts ensues (after my humbling respawn) and while I might pull off a super sexy alpha, I watch the next 4 BO3's w/ HY miss the enemy who just hovers around at 5% hull unloading the hurt on me.

I still maintain that I'm only as good as the people around me. Sometimes support from another person, whether they heal you or just take some of the pressure off of you by forcing your target to change their power settings/focus to something more defensive, makes all the difference.

Of course, there is always a slot for at least one version of tractor beams and that certainly does seem to help, lol.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
04-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I was feeling pretty smart trying to cap a point with Shields at 100 and Engines at 50 to get full resist and def bonus but dude dropped out of cloak and popped me like... corn... or something else that pops. Anyway, it was bad. Of course, as tends to be my problem in a lot of situations a dog fight of sorts ensues (after my humbling respawn) and while I might pull off a super sexy alpha, I watch the next 4 BO3's w/ HY miss the enemy who just hovers around at 5% hull unloading the hurt on me.

I still maintain that I'm only as good as the people around me. Sometimes support from another person, whether they heal you or just take some of the pressure off of you by forcing your target to change their power settings/focus to something more defensive, makes all the difference.

Of course, there is always a slot for at least one version of tractor beams and that certainly does seem to help, lol.
I can't call 1 shot 1 kill Ballanced at all. That 40k+ BO3 is not rare at all, and there are a lot higher crits. And Its not like Tricobalt torpedo what 1. its much harder to crit high, 2. harder to hit with it. FAW and BO3, both are silly.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
04-23-2011, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle-Phoenix View Post
I can't call 1 shot 1 kill Ballanced at all. That 40k+ BO3 is not rare at all, and there are a lot higher crits. And Its not like Tricobalt torpedo what 1. its much harder to crit high, 2. harder to hit with it. FAW and BO3, both are silly.
FAW is silly yes. It ignores defense and there really isn't much you can do accept try to get out of range, or kill your enemy faster then the faw will burn you down.

BOL one shot crits are annoying... however they DO NOT ignore defense. So to protect against 30k+ crits all you have to do is;

1) Move... don't EVER EVER stop. Defensive rating will keep BOL from hitting Crits / Lower Crits / and sometimes cause misses.

2) Run Armour. You might not harden a shield fast enough... hull resists are underrated.

3) Stay out of the arc of DBBs... BOL is a one shot skill, don't get in the arc of the dual, the singles in the back aren't going to hit as hard.

4) Watch your opponents buff bar. That escort holding a BOL shot... good chance hes waiting for power or a bat to unload it. Use some shield resists pronto.

BOL is far from broken. The ONLY people that will consistently get hit with large BOL shots don't understand any of the above. The biggest mistake is speed. I love me borg set running cruisers... no defense, if I see one of those sitting on a point or something they are going to get a little one shot action.

BOL is the anti undead cruiser skill...Against escorts its going to miss much more... against sci ships they have a nice large shield pool to soften the blow. Honestly All a cruiser really has to do to protect against is run some speed, and possibly one mabey 2 armour units. I can count on one hand the number of times I remember being one shotted by BOL, and they would normaly involve tractor beams or gravity wells to kill defense ratings.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
04-23-2011, 07:27 AM
Which energy type do you think is least defended against? I see antiprotons, phasers and tetryons the most. Leads me to think disrutpors, plasma and polarons to be the least represented.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
04-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsquaredncnp
Which energy type do you think is least defended against? I see antiprotons, phasers and tetryons the most. Leads me to think disrutpors, plasma and polarons to be the least represented.
Plasma and tet are the least defended against... mainly because their procs suck. Even being less defended against their use is questionable. Disruptor and Phasers share resist units... same with Polaron and AP.

Honestly it doesn't make too much diffrence which you choose. Most will tell you go phaser or disruptor for the lower point spend. I would have to agree with that mostly. AP I always found a bit to restrictive as far as weapons you can use, and points spent. Phasers are the defacto for a reason, Phaser procs are a bit OP... and with a cannon boat you will be landing procs pretty regular.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
04-23-2011, 10:06 AM
Yeah. I switched from being a cannon boat though. I could never seem to keep a target in that 45degree arc. Ive been trying antiprotons but i dont notice a huge difference. I might go disruptor though for the dmg proc.

On an unrelated note. How do i calculate my acc, crit chance/severity? I was swapping out weapons last night and added a bunch of crit chance/severity weapons, but my stats stayed at 5% crit, 84%severity.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
04-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsquaredncnp
Yeah. I switched from being a cannon boat though. I could never seem to keep a target in that 45degree arc. Ive been trying antiprotons but i dont notice a huge difference. I might go disruptor though for the dmg proc.

On an unrelated note. How do i calculate my acc, crit chance/severity? I was swapping out weapons last night and added a bunch of crit chance/severity weapons, but my stats stayed at 5% crit, 84%severity.
There really isn't a way to calculate it in game. It will vary depending on which weapon your firing. The ship one is just your base crit chance. The only things that really effect that number will be the borg consol.

In general if your a tac just go for crit chance. Don't worry about severity adds it will take care of itself, just make yourself crit as often as possible. If your a sci or engi your likely better off going with a ton of ACC.

Tacs have the advantage of being able to boast crit chance up lots with alpha so pushing it even higher will give you even more crits. ACC over defense ratings will translate into CritD works well for sci as sensor scan will be dropping that defense number.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:17 PM.