Lt. Commander
STO is not a bad game but I notice some glaring flaws.

1: Sure everyone has noticed how mamataurish the ground combat is in terms of its mechanics and animations. After coh/v how could cryptik get this wrong?

2: Here is my main issue, the game is just well. Boring and repetive. Hit lt. commander hoping things might get more intersting but insted I am greeted with bascally the exact same boring stuff I have done so far. Its not like coh/v or even champions online where the char classes can have massive diffrences. This is mostly due to a lack of skills to be used in ground combat.

Stuff I did like: Space combat was well done and it feels like star trek, but the glaring issues means I probally won't subscribe, I got the game for like 5.75 canadian off direct 2 drive so it didn't cost me much to try it out. Might come back once 1.4 hits and see if any of these issues I have improve.

Already barely logging in due to falling asleep after playing for a bit lol. ANy advice?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Season 4 is bringing about changes to the ground combat system. Give things a try after the changes are implemented and go from there. STO has made massive changes from launch and is continually evolving. Be patient and you may find you like what comes.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-22-2011, 04:35 PM
mamaturish? O.o

We all have issues with this game though, so join the club.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scyris View Post

1: Sure everyone has noticed how mamataurish the ground combat is in terms of its mechanics and animations. After coh/v how could cryptik get this wrong?

2: Here is my main issue, the game is just well. Boring and repetive. Hit lt. commander hoping things might get more intersting but insted I am greeted with bascally the exact same boring stuff I have done so far. Its not like coh/v or even champions online where the char classes can have massive diffrences. This is mostly due to a lack of skills to be used in ground combat.

Stuff I did like: Space combat was well done and it feels like star trek, but the glaring issues means I probally won't subscribe, I got the game for like 5.75 canadian off direct 2 drive so it didn't cost me much to try it out. Might come back once 1.4 hits and see if any of these issues I have improve.

Already barely logging in due to falling asleep after playing for a bit lol. ANy advice?
If you haven't already joined a fleet, I highly recommend it. At times when I feel like doing nothing my fleet is there and we can help each other out, chat, explore, or just try weird ship builds against each other on tribble.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-22-2011, 05:01 PM
As to class diversity, once you reach the higher levels there is more noticeable diversity in the different ship types at least, and even in some of the builds for each type. As for player classes in ground, well, I really don't have a good grasp on that. I have to echo what was said about ground, in that major improvements have been promised for the next major update that is scheduled for the middle of summer. In the mean time, http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=204014 has some good info on using bridge officers on the ground.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curs0r View Post
If you haven't already joined a fleet, I highly recommend it. At times when I feel like doing nothing my fleet is there and we can help each other out, chat, explore, or just try weird ship builds against each other on tribble.
Very good advise!!!
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Ground Combat certainly needs work. I think it needs a bit of touch-ups due to the away team mechanic and consequences from having the npc-based 'team' most of the time.

Boring and repetitive, I can certainly see that, very few of the leveling encounters are really 'neat twists' in how you play. Some skills do change things, but that really depends on your build out and other factors really. The written story is where variation occurs. Although, it is getting better with more mini-games, and interesting missions [Featured Episodes do a great job of it imo]. Really to be honest, to break up the monotony, I'd suggest going through the FEs.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Quote:

like it's been said before, ground combat is getting it's revamp
as for the missions, yeah it game overall still is... but the devs are working on changing that (Featured Episodes, Remastered Episodes, revamp to the exploration system at some point, etc)
just be patient, and change will come
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-22-2011, 07:02 PM
One thing is for sure... if you decide to go, be sure to check back once in awhile.. it is a MMO and it does and will continue to evolve and grow. personally i have a klingon waiting for me as soon as the academy is avail in season 4.. :-)

The foundry has also opened up qn entire new world for this fame, and that content is growing at a huge rate!

- X -
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-22-2011, 08:59 PM
Ground mechanics are being fixed within the next couple months.

As for it being repetitive, just be glad you weren't alive when this game came out. Played it everyday growing up and I still enjoy it. In fact I remember getting it the Christmas after my ninth birthday... ah, the memories...