Lt. Commander
# 21
04-23-2011, 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acylion
Cryptic spokespeople have consistently denied any plans to take STO F2P.
Please link to your sources for those statements? I am not doubting what you're saying, I'd just like to see who said it and when/where they said it.

From what I've seen, Cryptic has basically said F2P is being considered for STO and they are watching how LotRO and Champions Online do with the F2P models being used for those games. I don't think I'd call it a denial (that F2P is being looked at for STO) per say.

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

What might a F2P STO look like, if it does go that way? See this post.

There is nothing set in stone at this point, but I think it's a fairly safe bet to say F2P is certainly being considered for STO based on the three sources linked above.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-23-2011, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas-
Please link to your sources for those statements? I am not doubting what you're saying, I'd just like to see who said it and when/where they said it.

From what I've seen, Cryptic has basically said F2P is being considered for STO and they are watching how LotRO and Champions Online do with the F2P models being used for those games. I don't think I'd call it a denial (that F2P is being looked at for STO) per say.

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

What might a F2P STO look like, if it does go that way? See this post.

There is nothing set in stone at this point, but I think it's a fairly safe bet to say F2P is certainly being considered for STO based on the three sources linked above.

Your Source #3 actually has one of the denials in it .

That said if you don't want to accept
Quote:
There are no plans to change STO's subscription model.
as a denial that there are plans to change STO's subscription model, I dunno .
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-23-2011, 07:08 AM
That's pretty much what I meant. Of course, what they say tends to be...we have no plans right now, but we're not ruling it out for the future - maybe. Possibly. That kinda thing. This is the tone I'm alluding to. They aren't going 'MUHAHAHA CHAMPIONS IS FREE, AND SOON STAR TREK WILL BE TOO! MUAHAHAHAHA!'

Instead they're being very...cagey about this.

Which ain't surprising. I mean, they're not going to say 'no, no, STO will never go F2P'. Obviously not. That's silly. Who's gonna make a promise like that? It'd be a really dumb statement to make from a management point of view.

As I said: I'm firmly with the crowd that believes STO will go F2P eventually. Let me say this again: I THINK STO WILL GO F2P. Eventually. But because they're being so circumspect when talking about the possibility, it's premature to expect STO to go F2P tomorrow. Or even this year.

I suspect they'll probably wait to see how Champions is doing, by the end of Financial Year 2011. Or perhaps they'll look at what impact SWTOR's launch has on STO subs ('cause remember, Champions F2P was scheduled in direct response to CoH's new paid expansion and DCUO's launch).

In the interim though - they still need to keep existing subscribers satisfied. And it means they need to continue making solid improvements to the game, rather than just...adding more and more C-Store items. I mean, yeah, I get that the C-Store thing is important to their business plan, and I'm cool with spending a few bucks on cosmetic stuff I like. But we all know there's a lot of core game stuff that needs work.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Taylor
Very good advise!!!
Agreed.

I joined a fleet about a month after I started playing the game, and can honestly say that being able to play with people from around the world has totally increased my level of fun within the game, and not just randomly when I entered a system that someone had already started the mission in.

Being able to pop into the game and broadcast to the fleet channel, "anyone want to join me while I...." is pretty rewarding...I tried the same in the global channel, and it's pretty hit or miss....

I've leveled 4 feds, and helped my fleet mates do the same.

Joining a fleet definitely kept me interested in the game, even with all the repetitive content. We chat as we go, we talk about ship builds, away team setups, and so forth...

It's been a lot of fun running around with Federation Deepspace Operations, and I'm sure it's the same with a lot of the other fleets out there....I just wish we could setup coalitions between fleets that didn't involve setting up special channels...but I'm hoping that will be coming soon....
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-23-2011, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acylion
Which ain't surprising. I mean, they're not going to say 'no, no, STO will never go F2P'. Obviously not. That's silly. Who's gonna make a promise like that? It'd be a really dumb statement to make from a management point of view.

As I said: I'm firmly with the crowd that believes STO will go F2P eventually. Let me say this again: I THINK STO WILL GO F2P. Eventually. But because they're being so circumspect when talking about the possibility, it's premature to expect STO to go F2P tomorrow. Or even this year.

I suspect they'll probably wait to see how Champions is doing, by the end of Financial Year 2011. Or perhaps they'll look at what impact SWTOR's launch has on STO subs ('cause remember, Champions F2P was scheduled in direct response to CoH's new paid expansion and DCUO's launch).
It'd be similarly stupid to give an answer like "No, to be honest, we really don't care about what else is going out in the market that we're in." Every company is watching how the numbers fall for the various F2Ps. While the numbers are more evident and visible to Cryptic with regards to CO/STO, it's not more reason to suspect that subscription model will change. I, personally, wouldn't plan around the model changing, beyond perhaps reconsidering a LTS.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiella View Post
Your Source #3 actually has one of the denials in it .

That said if you don't want to accept as a denial that there are plans to change STO's subscription model, I dunno .
It was a denial of immediate plans, but it clearly left the door open for the possibility of F2P in the future, in part based on how Champions Online fares with it.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-24-2011, 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas-
It was a denial of immediate plans, but it clearly left the door open for the possibility of F2P in the future, in part based on how Champions Online fares with it.
I think it's really a case of reading what you want to read. You could state that there are no plans immediately for CO to return to a traditional subscriber model as well. But it's likely to occur if the F2P model fails to work for CO.

I guess the rumors get based around the idea/realization that F2P/freemium is actually a better business model?
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-24-2011, 05:09 AM
One of my favorite games is the original Mercenaries on the PS2 (XBOX hater here). In Mercenaries they would give you a mission and it was up to you how you wanted to complete it,there was no right way to do things,only your way.I really miss that kind of freedom in STO.

If there is one thing I miss in STO that was in the shows.....those massive space battles on DS9.
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curs0r View Post
If you haven't already joined a fleet, I highly recommend it. At times when I feel like doing nothing my fleet is there and we can help each other out, chat, explore, or just try weird ship builds against each other on tribble.
Sounds like a nice fleet to be in.
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-24-2011, 11:46 PM
STO's ground combat is rubbish, even the PR-speak "it's not where we want it to be" doesn't begin to describe it.

That said, there are a few nifty things they tried (such as making abilities gear-based instead of talent-tree based). Unfortunately, the implementation is extremely lackluster.

Hopefully, the devs address the lack of abilities in the ground game. We don't need 20 hotbars but the idea that we generally have 2 useful powers in a kit and then alternating between primary and secondary fire is underwhelming.