Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 101
04-25-2011, 08:40 PM
May be true, never bothered to run a full beam boat. If that's what works for them, more power to ya. That being said, people need to stop going on and on about how changing things for PvP balance ruins PvE. That just isn't true. What ruins PvE is a person who refuses to work adjust to changes and spends their time complaining instead. I can't count the number of times I've respecced my Engineer. A couple times I found the spec that I would 'never' change from. Guess what. As my playstyle changes, as situations change, so does my character, ship, and loadout. I enjoy getting my warp core handed to me by changes in tactics from people, because it gives me cause to examine my own tactics and change things up a little. When NPCs wind up changing, as the Romulans did, it made me start paying a little more attention to what I was doing there. The battlefield is ever changing, and one thing I cannot stand is a person who is gonna complain that their way isn't the best way anymore and because of that things are wrong or broken and it's ruining PvE. When things change, adapt.

'But hold on, why not just say that to the PvP players?'

Well, PvP is a whole different ballgame. PvE AIs don't suddenly wake up one day and say 'You know, we should all start doing this to really mess with the players. Those guys won't know what to do and they'll sit around dying all day long because we are so OP now!' PvP is, for those who don't know, against PLAYERS! They do wake up one day, come up with a stategy, and next thing you know it's the only way to fight and everyone is doing it. Veterans get sick of it, newbies get turned off, heck some computers can't handle it in some cases (trash clutter). In order to keep things balanced, and sometimes to keep things from becoming stale, changes must be made. Will this affect PvE? Absolutely. Will it be the most horrible and gamebreaking thing ever? Well, I have yet to find the one that is.
Lt. Commander
# 102
04-25-2011, 11:51 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~<GM Jahia>
Lt. Commander
# 103
04-25-2011, 11:55 PM
My only grip with FAW, is that it makes mines kinda useless. I would just change mines, instead FAW, but add a more weapon drain on FAW hits, so those full beam cruisers will run out of juice sooner.

As for the mines I have a little proposal for them. Lets make them perma MESed. The distance (stealth rating) would be affected by +Mines training. Lets face it, no sane weapons developer would create something called "mine" that is visible to anyone. Give the amount of FAWcking around in pvp, mines are pretty underwhelmed for offensive reasons, except for the chroniton snare spam.

So just make them perma MESed, 100% noticable at the range of 1km. Its pretty stupid if some FAWkcing cruiser destroys your mine net from 10km. Thats pretty sad, especially for my 32 transphasic mine drop build

Or just make them non-targetable objects like torps. Its funny photonic shockwave destroys mines, but not torpedoes.....
Lt. Commander
# 104
04-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Thy View Post
Scorpion Fighters for DPS???? O_o!

Sorry man but, what are you flying? A Hello-Kitty Shuttle with Mk I Tribble Launchers?

Is THAT what cryptic gets as "feedback" in PvE forums?
LMAO! That is exactly what I was thinking. F'n hilarious, Dude.
Lt. Commander
# 105
04-26-2011, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCO
I find it intersting that you can tell me if a nerf effect me or not. Funny but the only person that can tell me that would be me and I stated in my opinion fighter nerf effect my FUN and my way of play. So therefore PVP nerf have already effect my game play. Just like they effect my game play in another game I no longer play.
The Scorpion Fighter thing kinda puzzles me. Why do we even have that? Does it make any sense that Federation or Klingon players routinely send out reman combat vessels?

It could be useless or overpowered, I don't know how this could be okay in the first place.

I would at least understand it the Scorpion Fighter Device would create Peregrine Fighters for Feds and To'Dijus for Klingons. I might still have balance and spamming issues, but at least it seems acceptable from a roleplaying and immersion perspective.
Lt. Commander
# 106
04-26-2011, 05:38 AM
LoL @ Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalnar
My only grip with FAW, is that it makes mines kinda useless. I would just change mines, instead FAW, but add a more weapon drain on FAW hits, so those full beam cruisers will run out of juice sooner.

As for the mines I have a little proposal for them. Lets make them perma MESed. The distance (stealth rating) would be affected by +Mines training. Lets face it, no sane weapons developer would create something called "mine" that is visible to anyone. Give the amount of FAWcking around in pvp, mines are pretty underwhelmed for offensive reasons, except for the chroniton snare spam.

So just make them perma MESed, 100% noticable at the range of 1km. Its pretty stupid if some FAWkcing cruiser destroys your mine net from 10km. Thats pretty sad, especially for my 32 transphasic mine drop build

Or just make them non-targetable objects like torps. Its funny photonic shockwave destroys mines, but not torpedoes.....
While the idea of a stealth value on mines is an interesting one that will probably need some degree of tweaking if it ever gets implemented, I think that giving mines and heavy torpedoes a defense value is the very least they could do. There should be a chance to miss these small, sometimes moving objects (look at how easy it is to miss a much larger ship sometimes). Granted, FAW as it is still currently ignores ACC and DEF, but if it ever gets fixed this would increase the viability of mines and heavy torpedoes significantly.

That being said, any increase in the viability of these "spam" items should come with a reduction in the quantity of spam.
Lt. Commander
# 107
04-26-2011, 05:42 AM
Blackjack you are awesome!
Lt. Commander
# 108
04-26-2011, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
LoL @ Blackjack

While the idea of a stealth value on mines is an interesting one that will probably need some degree of tweaking if it ever gets implemented, I think that giving mines and heavy torpedoes a defense value is the very least they could do. There should be a chance to miss these small, sometimes moving objects (look at how easy it is to miss a much larger ship sometimes). Granted, FAW as it is still currently ignores ACC and DEF, but if it ever gets fixed this would increase the viability of mines and heavy torpedoes significantly.

That being said, any increase in the viability of these "spam" items should come with a reduction in the quantity of spam.
I think the amount of mines reflects how easily they were destroyed and countered at the launch of STO and their dmg potential.
If they wouldn't be visible without proper detecting method (aux,sensor scan etc), noone would care about the "spam". I just think the point of mines is to be hidden and hit unsuspecting target, not to be something you see and destroy/avoid from safe distance.

But your idea about giving them defence is not bad at all. I would just prefer that they are hidden, so they do not clutter screen. Like if you use tachyon grid around tons of mines.......
Lt. Commander
# 109
04-26-2011, 06:05 AM
I would like them to be more useful. I'm picturing a dramatic increase in damage and secondary effect as compensation for the reduction in the amount of items on a map though. I think some stealth is the way to go but the distance to make them visible probably needs some tweaking unless they quantity is cut back (and effect boosted up).
Lt. Commander
# 110
04-26-2011, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
I would like them to be more useful. I'm picturing a dramatic increase in damage and secondary effect as compensation for the reduction in the amount of items on a map though. I think some stealth is the way to go but the distance to make them visible probably needs some tweaking unless they quantity is cut back (and effect boosted up).
They should probably become visible around the time they are in arming distance. The stealth system is badly documented and not well understood, so I am not sure what this would translate to in stealth rating or scale depending on skills and equipment.
If you fly at high speed into a minefield, you will have no chance to evade it. This forces a choice between speed and safety, so to speak.

A normal mine drop could drop just one mine, the pattern skills improving this number depending on mine type, to avoid the problem of High Yield Torpedo, that gives you the most bang for your buck if you use it with Quantum Torpedoes.
Photon Mines have a fast recharge, so you drop more of them, Quantums have a slow recharge, so you drop less of them.
(Alternatively, the numbers could be the same for all, but the individual mine's damage is adjusted).