Lt. Commander
# 111
04-26-2011, 07:17 AM
Well dropping one mine only would probably require them being permanent, not on 300s cooldown. Else there is very slim chance of someone hitting it. Beside, I like my swarm of mines i just wish FAWcking cruisers wouldn't destroy my 32 mines in 1s.
Lt. Commander
# 112
04-26-2011, 08:02 AM
Well, if they ever get around to adding a Tab Targeting option that ignores NPCs that would certainly make the targeting through clutter aspect more manageable. But they'd still need to alter the UI, or give us the ability to customize it, so that we can better distinguish the difference in the thing we are targeting and all of the other stuff going on around us.

If mines and heavy torpedoes had some stealth and a fair amount of defense (note: defense here does not mean more health as one single point of damage would still destroy it, this mechanic would only provide a possibility of missing) then an adjustment to up time before timing out wouldn't really matter.
Lt. Commander
# 113
04-26-2011, 08:22 AM
WTB option to turn off name and reticle display for non-player objects. (Or at least non-ship objects.)
Lt. Commander
# 114
04-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
WTB option to turn off name and reticle display for non-player objects. (Or at least non-ship objects.)
You can disable most of that actually. The problem reall yis that it doesn't distinguish non-player objects and non-player vessels.

One tip from me: Enable health bars and player names based on "has recently taken damage". That can improve your situational awareness considerably.
Lt. Commander
# 115
04-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalnar
Well dropping one mine only would probably require them being permanent, not on 300s cooldown. Else there is very slim chance of someone hitting it. Beside, I like my swarm of mines i just wish FAWcking cruisers wouldn't destroy my 32 mines in 1s.
Honestly its the swarms of mines that led us to the FAW issue to begin with. Beyond that fact that the only reason to drop 32 mines a go is to annoy people... the Cryptic servers just plain can't handle it. I would think Cryptic would have thought to themselves... Hey we have a really cool low server over head shard type system, perhaps we don't want to give it reason to track 200+ deployed objects in a match, all with their own HP values, Proc Chances, Hit Chances, Dmg Calculations. The massive mine boat swarm games that choked the servers where a major issue. No it was not people that had bad Internet connections, or outdated cpus, it was and is Cryptics servers that can't handle that type of massive load.

Sorry Rant off.....

Cloaked Mines are 100% a great solution sort of... the main issue is still going to be server load.

I have suggested in other threads the following;

1) mines are reduced to one out... with obvious a dmg increase. A mine should do 120% or so the dmg of the same type torpedo.

2) mine patterns should give the same type of bonus as HY patterns for torps. So Dispersal 1 should drop 2... pattern 2 should drop 3 with reduced dmg... pattern 3 should drop 4 also with reduced dmg each.

3) All mines should be Cloaked. Not only does it declutter targeting, it is plain cannon. No Star Trek ship ever flew over a mine on purpose.

Thats my thoughts on Mines. Fighters should never ever have happened. The number reduction was nice, however as unpopular as it sounds they should have NEVER been allowed into the game. No idea what the heck Cryptic was thinking there.... Non Cannon, nonsense.
Lt. Commander
# 116
04-26-2011, 11:07 AM
What I don't understand is why there wasn't a limit on mines in the first place. If most of your mines are still present and not destroyed, why does the game allow you to dump more out? It's silly, and something that should have been hammered out a long time ago in beta. The spamming potential is innate to its very use, and lends itself to be abused.
Lt. Commander
# 117
04-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Quote:
What I don't understand is why there wasn't a limit on mines in the first place. If most of your mines are still present and not destroyed, why does the game allow you to dump more out? It's silly, and something that should have been hammered out a long time ago in beta. The spamming potential is innate to its very use, and lends itself to be abused.
There is actually a limit to that. They upped the limit for the Tractor Beam in the beginning, IIRC (but that only affected that mine). Mines have a limited lifetime and can despawn if you get too many out.
Lt. Commander
# 118
04-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about the limited lifespan. I see them despawn all the time. People do let them out in rapid succession, though, as far as I can tell.
Lt. Commander
# 119
04-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
The Scorpion Fighter thing kinda puzzles me. Why do we even have that? Does it make any sense that Federation or Klingon players routinely send out reman combat vessels?

It could be useless or overpowered, I don't know how this could be okay in the first place.

I would at least understand it the Scorpion Fighter Device would create Peregrine Fighters for Feds and To'Dijus for Klingons. I might still have balance and spamming issues, but at least it seems acceptable from a roleplaying and immersion perspective.
Hey, that was the closest thing we have to a carrier Fed side cause of all the whinny Klinks and all you PvP guys got it nerfed! I mean, what kind of carrier only launches 3 crafts?! You're all ruiners of fun!

Lt. Commander
# 120
04-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
That seems like a waste of time and energy that could be better spent creating something fun and useful. Right now they say that can't even fix this single instance of FAW because that would require altering 4000ish different data strands (or whatever). Having two versions of everything seems redundant.

Just do it right the first time. I do feel for the PVE crowd to some extent. Cryptic needs to quit teasing people with poorly thought out mechanics that require adjusting them downward again.
They never said they 'can't fix it' - whhat they've said is "No, their not rolling the change back while they consider a more permanent solution." Very big difference.

As for "Just do it right the first time" - either you're new to MMO PvP or you're just jumping on the "Cryptic are bad at PvP development bandwagon." Assuming you have played PvP in other MMOs - please name me one that got all their abilities 'right the first time.'

They're looking at it (FaW), and will adjust it again - although I sure given the current PvP climate (and their ARE a lot of folks who DO complain anytime a change is made that causes their current winning PvP build to need a tweak) - any change that doesn't nerf FaW to being as bad, or worse then it was prior to Snix's change will be cried about ad nauseum.

We'll see.