Lt. Commander
There are currently some players that have decided that cheating is the way to play the game.

Can I name these players or do they just get to carry on doing what they are doing? They appear to be in nebulas just sitting there scanning even when no data is nearby, so it must be a BOT.

They should be exposed. One of them belonged to a fleet so I think the whole fleet should be banned.

Lt. Commander
# 2
04-23-2011, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkfrontiers
There are currently some players that have decided that cheating is the way to play the game.

Can I name these players or do they just get to carry on doing what they are doing? They appear to be in nebulas just sitting there scanning even when no data is nearby, so it must be a BOT.

They should be exposed. One of them belonged to a fleet so I think the whole fleet should be banned.

First off, there are methods for reporting things such as this without use of the forums. Second, banning an entire fleet for the actions of a single member is excessive...unless you can provide proof that it is the fleet's policy to cheat.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-23-2011, 06:17 AM
Yet another reason for world pvp in star clusters.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-23-2011, 06:27 AM
You cannot 'scan' when there is no data in 'interact/scanning' range,so what do you mean exactly?

And naming and shaming on the forums will only get you 'special attention' from the mods.....even if you are right about the bots.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-23-2011, 06:34 AM
I saw something like this the last week. First there was one ship lording over an anomaly that popped once a minute on average. Not fair seeing that the ones I found averaged close to five. So there I am trying to anomaly farm the lazy way, (by spawn camping an anomaly). Watching this guy get rich while I sat bored. I had to watch him there was nothing else to do between scans.

After a bit he exclaimed in zone so I looked over to see a second ship. Did I mention that my screen was pointed that way the whole time and I never saw another ship approach? Now I expect one will get bored and move on because each anomaly can only be scanned by one ship even if the seem to start their scans at the exact same time. By that time I sure had gotten bored myself and was actually moving about and even doing explores.

Funny thing is they were both still in the same spot and scanning the same anomaly a few explores later. Now I click on the first guy and he targets just fine, but the second guy... Well it's like they are not there. Anywho that got boring quick, (maybe I have Adult Attention Deficit Disorder), and go off to do a few more explores.

Later I happen by again. There is the first guy still scanning merrily away, as well as the second guy still scanning even after the first guy already scanned the anomaly, and now there was a third who like the second was not targetable and scanning anomalies that had already been scanned by the first and the second.

Now after all that I am less inclined to believe they are bots and more inclined to believe I saw two shadows from two other instances in the instance I was actually in. Ghost ships from parallel dimensions you might say as each ship had a different captain, ship name, and two were form different fleets but all three were scanning the same thing that occupied the same space at almost the same time.

Isn't there an episode of Voyager like this where Tess winds up on a different Voyager and both parallel Voyagers are tearing each other apart because they are occupying the same space at the same time?
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-23-2011, 07:00 AM
Why would someone use a BOT in STO? Game mechanics are pretty complicated to do such a thing. But I guess if it only involved a ship just sitting there logged in and scanning on a timer maybe not. Pretty lazy if you ask me, and you take oppourtunities away from players who really work hard at trying to achieve what they want for their toons.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-23-2011, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strome
*snip*.
You might want to edit your post......even asking about these things will get you 'special attention' from the mods.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-23-2011, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post
You might want to edit your post......even asking about these things will get you 'special attention' from the mods.
Hmmm....yeah.... It might be misunderstood. I was just trying to figure out how someone could do that....
Lt. Commander
# 9 Thanks for the feedback
04-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post
You cannot 'scan' when there is no data in 'interact/scanning' range,so what do you mean exactly?

And naming and shaming on the forums will only get you 'special attention' from the mods.....even if you are right about the bots.
After watching the scene for a while I realized that it is KDF Nebula's that appear to be the problem. In every single one there's an anomaly that is permanently visible near the edge so it scans through almost immediately and then pops-up again.

I think it's an unintended bug. What is not cool is that while I am searching far and wide in the zone, some players plant themselves permanently there collecting huge amounts of data by simply scanning every two - three seconds.

You right, it should be reported as an issue which I have done, hoping it gets sorted out but its been around for a very long time.

You can just imagine how many times I have wanted to shout at the top of my lungs, "Fire all photons! Fire all phasers! Annihilate them - Whhoooo-ha-haha!"
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-23-2011, 12:56 PM
How do you know they're bots?

How do you know it's not someone that's literally sitting there chatting with their fleet, friends, dog or cat while scanning for data?

Fact is you don't. Just remember - people may look like a bot, not respond to you like a bot, but you're not a GM so they don't have to respond to ya like a human :p
Closed Thread