Lt. Commander
# 11
04-24-2011, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Personally, I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of sense it's Kira, but that's what Cryptic decided and it's their game.
I agree. It makes sense on some levels but it is also rather contradictory. On one hand, she has had extensive contact with the emissary and knew him for several years. She was also very dedicated to her beliefs and her religion. What I don't understand is how a member of the Bajoran militia, a soldier, becomes a politician/religious leader.

It's pretty much certain that by the Foundry EULA Kai Kira can't be used in missions. A pity that we can't use the Kai in our missions. The only possible solution I see is that Cryptic elects a new Kai
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Personally, I'm not sure it makes a whole lot of sense it's Kira, but that's what Cryptic decided and it's their game.
Agreed. Oh, did I cringe when I first read a reference to Kai Kira. It doesn't make any sense to me, especially given Kira's military role. But, that's the way it is. It seems that all of our beloved Trek characters must be granted high level political positions.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonium View Post
Agreed. Oh, did I cringe when I first read a reference to Kai Kira. It doesn't make any sense to me, especially given Kira's military role. But, that's the way it is. It seems that all of our beloved Trek characters must be granted high level political positions.
True... We have :

Kai Kira
Former head of Cardassian govt. Garak
Grand Nagus Rom
Vice Admiral Janeway
Captain Harry Kim
Commander Naomi Wildman
As well as a few others...
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-24-2011, 02:15 PM
it did bother me that we got kira as the kai. it felt like they shoehorned her in because she's one of about 3 bajorans we know of.

she has had dealings with the prophets, and he friendship with sisko probably made people feel that she had some special relationship with the prophets, not to mention we dont know a whole heap about bajoran customs but i just cant see her ever running for kai.

but this is 30 odd years after ds9. maybe she spent time re-evaluating her life and her faith.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-24-2011, 03:39 PM
I think it makes sense in that people who are unlikely for a role of importance often have it thrust upon them.

Now, for UGC purposes, maybe a bunch of us could agree on a name and look for a ranking Vedek.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle21davdson
True... We have :

Kai Kira
Grand Nagus Rom
Vice Admiral Janeway
Captain Harry Kim
Commander Naomi Wildman
Yeah it's always bothered me that not even ONE of our esteemed TV heroes ever just retires, or quits Starfleet and goes on an Archaeological sabbatical, no one ever cashes out of the military and becomes a small merchant trader. No one meets anyone we've never heard of, and just starts a family on some nice colony., opens a school, builds a water reclaimation plant, or just buys a boat. Everyone we've ever seen on Star Trek has to have pursued their career to the Nth degree.

I suppose it's some need to somehow legitimize "The Future" by having all the people we've ever heard of, still kicking over in the universe.. but shouldn't Jake SIsko return home to the family restaurant? Shouldn't Miles O'Brien, with two children to raise, get a nice job on some planet far from danger? Shouldn't Kira and Odo be trying to make little bumpy-nosed diapered-changelings? 7-9 I understand never giving up her work.. and Geordi, I could understand being traumatized by the loss of Data.

It just seems to me, kind of desperate, that according to STO, the only people that matter in this world, are people who get their credability via nepotism from main characters in the TV shows.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-24-2011, 04:18 PM
Even if we aged her significantly I don't think that would get us around the EULA.

As for the Vedeks... perhaps instead of a pre-agreed Vedek or even set of Vedeks that if we create missions with Vedeks that we put their costume info up and some bio.... history, religious views, etc... up on the wiki.

There are alot of Vedeks though only one Kai, and I think it would be odd as a community to have a set in stone set of Vedeks that would be 'official' possibly at the expense of creativity and story needs.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Quote:
True... We have :

Kai Kira
Grand Nagus Rom
Vice Admiral Janeway
Captain Harry Kim
Commander Naomi Wildman
Captain B4 of the Enterprise.....
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Quote:
True... We have :

Kai Kira
Grand Nagus Rom
Vice Admiral Janeway
Captain Harry Kim
Commander Naomi Wildman
In fairness, Rom became Nagus at the end of DS9. So that's canon. And given how old Zek was, I think it's safe to say Rom would still be Nagus. Janeway made a cameo appearance as an admiral in one of the movies, so that's not exactly a Cryptic creation either.

Harry Kim I can see being a captain. His character didn't have much of a personality outside of being a Starfleet officer, so it's pretty likely he'd stick with it. Now, Captain Paris, that I'd have a much harder time accepting.

There are thousands of commanders in Starfleet, so the only thing I find weird about Commander Wildman is that Icheb is only a Lieutenant Commander, and he should have had at least a decade head start on her.

With Kira it just seems odd that given her military role that she'd end up being Kai. There simply isn't an easy advancement path, and considering her violent history you'd think there would actually be some resistance to her religious advancement. Granted, it's been so long that a lot of things could happen. I'd still find it less hard to believe if she'd been made Bajoran Ambassador, or head of the Bajoran government, or something along those lines. It just seems like a stretch, and while it's not impossible in itself, it brings to light just how each of the main characters from the shows have been slotted into important roles, which others are complaining about (and I agree).
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Captain B4 of the Enterprise.....
Data coming back was part of the countdown comic book that set the scene for the next movie, so that wasn't entirely Cryptic's own doing either. Also, I watched Nemesis relatively recently, and while at the time I was very unhappy with Data's death, it's very obvious that they set up his return at the end of the movie. I just wish they could get Brent Spiner so we could actually have him in the game.

Honestly, the lack of any appearances whatsoever from any of the shows' characters does take away from the game. It's not that they need to show up all the time, but it's very conspicuous that we never meet any of them. That's probably the worst thing about slotting all the characters into important roles. It would be one thing if we saw them every so often, but because we never do, it just reminds us that "they're out there somewhere", but apparently have taken out personal restraining orders against all of us.