Lt. Commander
# 81
04-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
Yep, Wish said if you think a mission is a grind you should report it. So go report them. There are maybe 10 or 20 missions that you personally define as "grinds" in the system right now. Many of those have been there since Foundry went live.
Its not "my definition", it is the definition commonly accepted by video game players in general:

Quote:
Grinding is a term used in video gaming to describe the process of engaging in repetitive and/or non-entertaining gameplay in order to gain access to other features within the game, or to allow the player to "grind" better/faster.[1][2] The most common usage is in the context of MMORPGs, such as Final Fantasy XI, World of ********, Tibia and Dragon Quest IX[3] in which it is often necessary for a character to repeatedly kill AI-controlled monsters, using basically the same strategy over and over again, in order to advance their character level to be able to access newer content.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grinding_(video_gaming)

Since you seem to disagree with the commonly accepted definition quoted above, I asked you earlier what your personal definition was. I'm still waiting on your answer.
Lt. Commander
# 82
04-25-2011, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Heck, just create a holodeck room where a player can spawn enemies endlessly, one wave at a time, to their heart's content.
Unfortunately you can't just do a true cycle with the storyline editor, but I did see one mission that set the objectives up with some consoles you interact with, so you can choose to spawn a wave of one species from a list (each wave was actually five or six groups, in areas spread out around the map). Once you've spawned a wave of each species, then the objectives are all done and the mission completes, so there's not really a way to spawn just one more than once without restarting. But it's still a nice concept to put several species on the same map and let you select which ones you want, or do them in whatever order you want, and without the map transitions. Nice for comparing and tuning setups against different enemies.

There are also, of course, ones where groups are spread around and you have several maps to progress through, with each map being a different race. And there are also some where all the spawns are in the same spot, and they're spawned each when the previous one dies, rather than being all visible up front and just spread around in space. There are still limits to the number of objectives and maps you can have, so even if it appears to be a cycle, it's still a linear progression through a fixed number of elements.
Lt. Commander
# 83
04-25-2011, 05:36 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~GM Tiyshen
Lt. Commander
# 84 RE:
04-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Many things in this world are made for a certain reason, but many people are able to derive something different from it. This is clear from the foundry issue. However, it is my belief that it is impossible to force everyone in the direction determined by the majority. After all, many exciting breakthroughs in the world have occurred because someone refused to listen (although many crimes as well).

I think Cryptic is already doing what they can but as paying players, everyone has the right to play the game as they see fit. And if you do not support the opposing views, be proud of what you believe in and continue to fight for it. However, if you are not a dev, you have limited authority on how things can be changed. So don't get too upset over these issues, just be happy playing the game as you like it
Lt. Commander
# 85
04-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genwolf
I think Cryptic is already doing what they can but as paying players, everyone has the right to play the game as they see fit.
No they dont. As paying customers, people have the right to play the game only as long as they obey the rules. If they break the rules, then their "right" to play the game should be revoked.
Lt. Commander
# 86
04-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Quote:
No they dont. As paying customers, people have the right to play the game only as long as they obey the rules. If they break the rules, then their "right" to play the game should be revoked.
oO Every time I read comments like this, I feel like listening to "We're in the army now" by Status Quo.

Yessir, we will turn off our brains, not think of solutions that lead to more freedom and enjoyment for all players and just obey. That's the usual way a game gets better.

(Which is why EVE e.g. has player representatives working with the devs... I guess they all get brainwashed once they reach Iceland)

Its a good forum, but splitting hairs and posting: "Obey" does not get anyone one step further.

No disrespect meant, Picard.
Lt. Commander
# 87
04-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leirus
Yessir, we will turn off our brains, not think of solutions that lead to more freedom and enjoyment for all players and just obey. That's the usual way a game gets better.
He's talking about obeying the rules, your talking about coming up with new ideas for the game. Those 2 things have nothing to do with one another.
Lt. Commander
# 88
04-29-2011, 06:40 PM
If you do not question rules and blindly obey them, you will not be able to voice new thoughts. Simple as that.

History-proven concept. Also one of the first principles they teach you in philosophy: To look at the status quo (not the band this time) and question it.

In some early online games, it was forbidden to take screenshots for some crazy reason. After some discussion, they were allowed. Perfect marketing... To illustrate what I meant.

To further illustrate, just look at some of the other postings made recently about RP places and City contest. Of course these are "exploits" since this wrapper mission was put in. Before that they were harmless.
Now, I think even your workaround will somehow turn out to be against the rules...

So go the obey way: "These are exploits, ban them"

While indeed they are the only feature that keep up the interest in STO for many players. The danger I see - vividly - is the Foundry "rules" getting too constrictive in the end.

And I think we are dancers, Velo...ciraptor