Lt. Commander
# 11
04-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Quote:
[OOC]LONG MISSION! NOT RECOMMENDED FOR FOUNDRY DAILY!"[/OOC]
Posting something like this should just not be necessary. What the you-know-what do I care about people who just want to get some quick XP and some emblems?
I create missions to tell a story.

If my missions get down-rated because they are too long or have too much dialogue, I will live with that fact and advertise them, where they belong and where (most) players will appreciate my efforts.

Over and over again: You CANNOT please everyone. DO NOT try to do it.

Not many people enjoy to read Shakespeare or Tolstoi. I doubt that either of them would have said: "Ah, well , ok... Lets write articles for Playboy magazine instead..." or put a note "You know, this play/book is LONG... Don't read it!" on the cover.
Lt. Commander
Thanks for the review and the helpful hints. I've moved that last place marker, so now the mission should end smoothly.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Personally I'm less concerned with the occasional "one-star for no good reason" than the huge number of "4 or 5 stars because he's in your fleet or because you liked the dancing Orion slavegirls thrown in for no good story reason".

There's a mission that's currently rated 5 stars and full of glowing reviews that I gave 1 star solely because 0 wasn't an option. It had horrible spelling and grammatical errors in nearly every dialog box, it had dozens of NPCs doing stupid things seemingly so that the author could use every emote in the list at least once, and the story was just stupid. Yet somehow, it averaged 5 stars. I weep for the future.

I get that writing good missions is HARD, but for the Great Bird's sake, people, lay off the emotes, and if you have problems with spelling and grammar, write out your dialog in advance in something that has a spelling and grammar checker.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Be careful:
The first dialogue box in your story chain won't appear for all players!

Ensure that critical directions appear as a pop-up dialogue after than initial briefing (which doesn't appear for everyone)
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leirus
Posting something like this should just not be necessary. What the you-know-what do I care about people who just want to get some quick XP and some emblems?
I create missions to tell a story.

If my missions get down-rated because they are too long or have too much dialogue, I will live with that fact and advertise them, where they belong and where (most) players will appreciate my efforts.

Over and over again: You CANNOT please everyone. DO NOT try to do it.

Not many people enjoy to read Shakespeare or Tolstoi. I doubt that either of them would have said: "Ah, well , ok... Lets write articles for Playboy magazine instead..." or put a note "You know, this play/book is LONG... Don't read it!" on the cover.
I agree with this. I constantly worry that the mission I'm working on now will get low reviews because the first half of it is all talk and find glowies used to tell the story with combat only coming in the back half of the story. But you know what, it's a story and it's one I want to tell. Not every episode of Trek was all action all the time. I consider the Foundry a tool for we the players to tell our stories, those that are looking at it for XP or accolade hunting need not play my mission as far as I'm concerned. My mission is there intentionally to read.

As for ratings, as a general rule of thumb I personally rate everything a 3 at the start as I consider 3 to be average. If it truely is broken or has some very bad and noticeable issues then it goes down. If it tells a good story or has some unique gameplay it goes up. Grammer and things, unless there are tons of errors, I try not to factor in too much as not everyone is an English major, or speaks/writes it as a primary language.
Lt. Commander
# 16 one star review
04-25-2011, 08:18 PM
It's funny that I should come across this thread after just discovering a one star rating I got a few days ago.

I created a RP Zone called Smuggler's Nebula with a tour so people can see what is all offered there for their RPing entertainment. Of course I stated all this in the level description. So anyway the reviewer states it has a poor plot. Apparently, he can't read. I hate being the victim of stupidity....
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-26-2011, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonium View Post
This is becoming a recurring problem for me. My mission instructions are basic and perfectly clear but, unfortunately, they're meaningless to those who will not take the time to read the briefing!

This has really become a problem as my most recent mission is launched by utilizing a console on Memory Alpha and, unfortunately, there just isn't any way to ensure the mini-map is marked for that console on a Cryptic-made map. Those who will not take the time to read the mission text are lost and often leave a one-star rating with an indication that the mission is "unplayable."

Sadly, as I see it, there's nothing we can do about this sort of thing. The best that you can do is to be very clear with the text in your mission, be sure to use the green mission text highlighting whenever necessary, and hope that the majority of your players will actually take a moment or two to consider their instructions.
What I've found is that a lot of mission creators will put the location of the system in the initial hailing text, but not in the objectives. After accepting the mission, the only way to go back and read the hailing text is to drop and re-accept the mission. And, sometimes, you forget the name of the system/sector in the few seconds between hitting accept and opening the map.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-26-2011, 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmGillis View Post
What I've found is that a lot of mission creators will put the location of the system in the initial hailing text, but not in the objectives. After accepting the mission, the only way to go back and read the hailing text is to drop and re-accept the mission. And, sometimes, you forget the name of the system/sector in the few seconds between hitting accept and opening the map.
Yep, they write it on the popup, then you read more stuff, or accept more missions, the info is gone unless you dig through npc text, which is only there if you haven't logged out. Location needs to be the 1st objective.
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-26-2011, 08:56 AM
I wonder if it wouldn't be to everyone's benefit if they simply had a way of marking on the map where the primary mission is located. This would benefit both Foundry missions and Cryptic designed ones as well.

It's not a huge deal but I wouldn't mind being able to make my mission text say something beyond "go to this system located in this sector" for the first objective.
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leirus
Uhm... Not to detour things too far but Atwood, Vonnegut, Mailer, Hemmingway, Updike, Bradbury, Marquez, Fleming, Steinbeck, Clarke, and Kerouac were all published by Playboy, which is actually pretty prestigious and would be fairly noteworthy for its articles even without the notorious photo spreads.

Shakespeare almost certainly would have written for them, given the type of work he did, the level of literary sophistication, the fact that he wrote for an underappreciated genre, and his writing itself which was, if anything, frequently MUCH more bawdy than the average Playboy article.

I only point this out because Playboy articles (along with Shakespeare) are exactly the kind of thing that made a series like Star Trek possible. I've actually never touched a copy of the magazine but only the best of Trek might be on par with Playboy articles.