Lt. Commander
A question.

The mission I recently created refers back to a TOS episode, Bread and Circuses, and mentions Kirk and the ENTERPRISE. I have to admit, I just kind of scanned the EULA, so I thought I was alright REFERRING to the shows, as long as I don't use the characters themselves.

Can someone clarify this for me?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-25-2011, 04:23 AM
Thats fine, you can reference anything you like other than the 2009 film as cbs does not own it (except spocks disappearance and romulus being destroyed as that is part of the game already) and i think the animated series is off limits as well, so stay clear of that.

you can not use the characters to appear at all.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-25-2011, 07:43 AM
You can reference anything in ENT, TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, and all of the movies up to Nemesis(and specific events from Star Trek 2009 that effect this game). You may mention canon characters, and even have dialog with them, you just cannot show them in your mission visually. For example, you can have the avatar of a ship like they did in the 'City on the Edge of Never' mission and have the text be from the canon character.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Ok, good. The mission is set on the roman planet from Bread and Circuses, so in the background briefing, I said it was visited "in 2268 by the USS ENTERPRISE under James Kirk." That's all, just a reference, not an actual appearance.

You're saying I could actually have the Enterprise appear, though (in some future mission)? I couldn't put an officer portait, though, for communication, or have them appear on the surface?

Kind of a shame, that. Must have something to do with the actors having rights to their representations.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Still I would be careful.
Just because Cryptic can put the certain assets, doesn't mean with 100% certainty players have the similar freedom equal to that of the official mission creators. I would give the certainty at 80ish%.

I might suggest making it a generic starfleet vessel just to play it safe.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Unfortunately, I can't do that. It's a reference to the original episode, so I can't change it. It would be like my science officer telling the player Relativity was devised by John Smith. It wouldn't be right.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-25-2011, 07:32 PM
You're a risk taker Mojo, and I respect that. Good luck with your mission.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-25-2011, 07:33 PM
I secretly wish that the rules weren't there for copyright and likness reasons but exist so that people don't go all "fanboy" with Picard/Beverly slashfiction.

If the devs view this as the primary benefit, I'm grateful.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I secretly wish that the rules weren't there for copyright reasons but exist so that people don't go all "fanboy" with Picard/Beverly slashfiction.
Actually, that's not why the rule exists; it exists because those actors retain the rights to their own likenesses being used in derivative works, and Cryptic's not interested in paying huge licensing fees every time one of us decides to throw Picard and/or Beverly into our missions. No matter what (or who) they're doing.

Even if they've licensed somebody's likeness for one mission, that's probably under a contract that specifies it's for that one mission, not for general inclusion in the game, so for instance the likenesses of James Doohan and DeForest Kelley were licensed from their estates for use in one mission, and aren't fair game for us, even if it would be trivial to put together an identical toon.

Avoiding slash is just a huge, huge side benefit.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
Thats fine, you can reference anything you like other than the 2009 film as cbs does not own it (except spocks disappearance and romulus being destroyed as that is part of the game already) and i think the animated series is off limits as well, so stay clear of that.

you can not use the characters to appear at all.
If you think about it, the only thing you really can't reference in the 2009 film is the whole Nero plot, and a bunch of cadets saving all of Earth (which was absolutely ridiculous in the first place). Most of the other stuff, like Kirk cheating on the Kobiashi Maru was directly taken from previous movies/shows. Not to mention since this game isn't set in the alternate universe it would be kind of weird to reference things like Vulcan being destroyed when it hasn't been, etc.