Lt. Commander
# 41
06-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Forgive these men who outcry for content and such for they know not what they do! I understand you guys are busy and making videos isn't on the top of your to do list, but I agree with them. I like to smother myself in the content, analyzing frame by frame the stuff that is in the videos and screenshots, and imagining what it's like - the UI (I love UI) and all the options available. I understand the communities cries.

I also understand the devs. Maybe a video might not look so great. Maybe things aren't polished yet - perhaps even they're working the mechanics and not the game itself so it looks like... welll... not so good. Have you guys considered that you may be disappointed by what you see? None the less. Lets give the devs a break. I am sure they have plans on when to release what content. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and they want to keep us hooked. Imagine what it'd be like if there was too much content? What would that be like? "Oh I wanna play this game now! You guys should just release it to the betas now and we'll help you out!" Give it a rest. Devs are very busy people.

I understand both parties. just do as my dad said "Sit down, shut up and wait for the show to start." (we were waiting for ST: TNG to start and I was complaining how the intro credits had begun.)
Lt. Commander
# 42
06-06-2009, 03:15 PM
My experience in production may be limited to college only, but there's still a few things about "gimme ingame video"

There's a saying out there, products are good, fast, and cheap, you only get two. So fi the company doesn't have a bottomless pit of funds, it forces one to take "Cheap" as option one, and then you want a good game too... so you have to forfeit getting something done quickly. The moral of the story: nobody wants to wait and drag this throught he dirt longer than it has to. But Cryptic wants to release something they can be PROUD of, not just to have something "Out there" with their fingers crossed that they'll make profit before customers realize it's crap like windows xp.

Screenshots do come in from time to time, i was particularly amazed how much you can change the miranda and still call it a miranda. When there is something

The game is still in alpha stages, hopefully late alpha. And much of customer opinion is based on what they see and hear. The products probably looks and sounds bad, if there is any sound at all yet.

What i would be afraid of as a cryptic rep inviting an outsider in at this stage is for that person who was expecting to see their favorite starship in all it's shining glor, and see just the filler. no visuals, no sounds, blocky objects filling in for ships and manequins taking the place of every alien species, and that customer saying "This sucks" because everything still looks bad. Publicity would go down fast and STO would be dead, again.

Most of us should know by now that Alpha is where the core game engines and software come into play, where you hit the fire phaser button and you go to condition green... that kind of stuff is alpha problems. Problems that the whole team is finding and fixing before it gets to us. I'm sure we've all played games where things like that happen,and we never played that game again.

Does anyone remember windows XP shipped with over 630 KNOWN problems, and around 30% of them were security flaws that could be exploited by hackers and viruses? Not exactly a good comparisin here, but something that flawed could kill cryptic and that is what they're working on NOT doing.

We all would love more in-game videos and content, and it wouldn't be that hard to plug in a video recorder. But what if the visuals just aren't there yet? then the video wouldn't be good.

And the trailer videos last year? probably animations with pre-models
Lt. Commander
# 43
06-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veglargh View Post
A video is somewhat over due. The last video was 10 months ago. Thank you for the article.
i think we should have a new video soon keep the feeling of freshness
Lt. Commander
# 44
06-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger_Dragon View Post
And the trailer videos last year? probably animations with pre-models
i thought in the vegas show video it was stated that the trailer was in fact gameplay footage using the game's engine?
Lt. Commander
# 45
06-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Honestly, I am appreciative of any kind of content that the developers provide and this article is no exception. Thank you very much for posting this -- it was definitely insightful and it was nice to see things from a somewhat different perspective.
Lt. Commander
# 46 mmm
06-06-2009, 06:33 PM
So they had a new ship to play with this week <eyes opened lol>

Im sure the game will be great it just makes us even more determined and hopefully of getting our hands on it
Lt. Commander
# 47 Too True
06-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgoodfel View Post
I really appreciate that the time was taken to make this article. It helps us get a picture into how ST:O is made. Just as a side note if you guys never make another video for this game is fine with me. Just as long as you make an awesome game, I can wait.
Well Said

And its not every day i agree with Klingons lol
Lt. Commander
# 48
06-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattastic View Post
Actually, the last video was four months ago. Still a painfullly long time, but relax -- it's not quite the near-year you think it's been.
I agree that technically the character trailer was the "last" video but I think that most would agree that it was more a "slide show" than a video.
Lt. Commander
# 49
06-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veglargh View Post
I agree that technically the character trailer was the "last" video but I think that most would agree that it was more a "slide show" than a video.
Aren't all videos technically slide-shows of images, just displayed at 25-30 pictures a second?? Lmao

sorry I'm just being a *(*&@(*@, I know what you mean would love to see longer and better videos but if a picture speaks a 1000 words is a thousand words technically a picture?

What I'm trying to say is a detailed article can release as much if not more info about a game than a picture sometimes...

Think about all the things that can be described that a picture could never really tell...
Lt. Commander
# 50
06-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing either some footage of the different things in the game, or maybe even a tiny little play demo.