Lt. Commander
# 1 Custom Bridges
04-26-2011, 08:44 AM
Anyone play with customizing bridge maps? I tinkered just a bit with one in my first mission but I'd like to see what kinds of radical overhauls we can get. I've also tinkered with using DS9's promenade, with extra walls and consoles, as other parts of the station.

I know, for example, that the bridge from the latter TOS era films was TNG's battle bridge and a lot of the Enterprise-A interiors doubled as Enterprise-D interiors. The Defiant bridge was also pretty regularly redressed and the Defiant interiors were the basis for a lot of Ferengi ship interiors.

On one hand, I know some folks are going all out creating cities... But I'd also like to see what kinds of extreme makeovers people have done for small sets like bridges.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-26-2011, 04:52 PM
I've used the Defiant Bridge as the bridge of a civilian transport with the ready room being used as the Captain's Quarters. All I really did here was add a bed.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-27-2011, 03:13 AM
I haven't exactly changed the bridge to something else, but I have "improved" the Galaxy Class bridge, in my opinion. I was not satisfied with the turbolift in the wrong location (the only corner of the bridge that DIDN'T have a turbolift in the series), and it was non-operational anyway since the door won't open on the Foundry map.

Instead I blocked that turbolift off with a non-opening Door 01, and placed turbolifts in the other three corners where they are supposed to be. It doesn't work perfect because you can't quite get the turbolift to fit inside the end cap that is available. There is some clipping of the bridge walls inside the lift, but it doesn't look that bad.

I also had to add a pillar to each side of the view screen because the turbolift wall sticks through there on the left side (and I decided it was better to have symmetry rather than only have the pillar on the left). That was unfortunate, but I don't think it stands out that much. If someone is playing the mission and not scrutinizing the bridge I'm not sure they'd even notice it (unless they were very familiar with Cryptic's version of the bridge they might think that they had just placed the pillars there for some reason).

Overall I think having the accurately placed turbolifts, instead of mysterious non-opening gray doors really improves the look of the bridge.

Once I'm done with the mission I plan to export the whole thing to be shared on StarbaseUGC. Since I've taken the time to figure out how to place people at various consoles, I figure it might save someone some tiem.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-27-2011, 09:05 AM
I had one mission on Tribble where I did some minor modification to a bridge - don't remember exactly which one, I think it was one oft the medical style bridges - where I put some starmap or other display in front of the big MFD that displayed the wrong ship and I did some minor set-dressing with the ready room.

I have also tried to build a bridge from scratch but there weren't enough assets for this that I liked - at least back then.