Lt. Commander
# 21
04-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Well acolades are hard to get because some of the species are only around at the beginning of sto and you never see them after, so cryptic needs to address this to make it easier to do accoldaes if they dont want people making mission to grind them.
Lt. Commander
# 22
04-26-2011, 03:53 PM
I think you could fix the foundry grind issues simply, it would just require a little more from cryptic.

The problem with relying on a pier review system is that the exploiters will bump each others missions. I have already run across a few 4 star missions that were reviewed by over 5 people that were nothing but a grind. The peir review system on its own doesn't work as well as it should and its why Cryptic had to step in in the first place.

I really think the only missions that should have any value skill point wise are those chosen by cryptic to be exemplary examples of what they want to see in the foundry. These missions should have the level standard reward along with a "Gift Box" item for something of appropriate rank. Then place these missions on the standard daily timer so people do not abuse the shorter highlighter missions over the longer ones.

As incentives the player base would still be encouraged to play through foundry missions due to the "unproven" daily rewards and those who want coherent experiences that can help level a character can use the "proven" spotlight missions as they would any other story mission in the game.

This system wold encourage people to make meaningful content in the foundry while making the grind missions irrelevant. The only thing I would require is someone from cryptic playing through some of the foundry content and choosing a mission a week to spotlight as something they want people to make more of. The only way I don't see this working is unless their is an engine limitation or something that prevents Cryptic from turning off rewards for foundry missions.

tl;dr Version:

- XP rewards removed from foundry "unproven" missions.
- Much Greater emphasis on Foundry spotlight missions.
Lt. Commander
# 23
04-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I wonder why missions don't grant xp based on competition times with a hard cap to prevent exploiting?

I had thought this was going to be the way to prevent grinders.

I think they are over thinking the whole damned thing.

Just make mobs worth xp based on their difficulty. You can't create a foundry exploit grinder where I spawn on top of a bunch of batlleships and when I die my warp core explodes, because it won't kill them.

When players make missions it just needs to factor in the level of the mob, base the xp value off the ship type and the powers it has. On the ground do the same, if a mob spawns a turret, a drone, a thelaron mine, whatever it's xp value is increased for defeating it.

There is nothing wrong with a mission where a player beams in and fights a bunch of enemies and there is no plot

KLINGON PLAYERS HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR A YEAR...IT'S CALLED EMPIRE DEFENSE

why we need wrapper missions that promote 5 minute speed runs, over complicated time based diminishing return caps and other nonsense is beyond me.

It used to be in an MMO when you killed something it gave you XP, dropped some loot and you went on your way.

That design has worked for 10 + years, whey does it need to be altered now.

The foundry needs a better tagging system, if players want to drop into a map and fight enemies all day that's fine, tag it combat grind and be done with it, if the same mission types in the game are already made by the developers as a primary leveling process for an entire faction, then it's awfully hypocritical to ban players from making the same thing.

I agree explode and kill a hundred shuttles is an exploit, I don't agree this high handed mentality that the foundry has to be some bastion of player creativity and scripted plots, especially when the current bulk of the pve developer content for klingons and exploration is kill 5 groups, go to next map.

TDLR:

Better tagging of missions, toss the overcomplicated wrapper idea out and make killing a mob worth xp and loot based on it's difficulty, and let the players get on with it.
Lt. Commander
# 24
04-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
So if someone creates a STF like mission it would be considered 'grinding'?
Lt. Commander
# 25
04-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post
So if someone creates a STF like mission it would be considered 'grinding'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
Please report missions that you feel go against fair play by being centered on farming / grinding or similar with the report functions in game.
If a mission has alot of NPC killing, it must also have:

1) An actual storyline

2) Main objectives other than killing NPCs

STFs have both of those, so if you want to make a STF like mission then you have to do the same.
Lt. Commander
# 26
04-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
If a mission has alot of NPC killing, it must also have:

1) An actual storyline

2) Main objectives other than killing NPCs

STFs have both of those, so if you want to make a STF like mission then you have to do the same.
So I create a mission with a storyline and a mission objective other than killing NPC´s......and I put 100 mobs between you and the mission goal.....(ok,crazy example but you get the idea)

People can/will report you for creating a grinding mission,which will get the mission pulled....no mod will ever play the mission to see if they are right or not.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-26-2011, 04:34 PM
I am having a deja vu... Don't we already have like at least a trillion threads on this topic?
Quick, hand me the blue pill!
Lt. Commander
# 28
04-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post
So I create a mission with a storyline and a mission objective other than killing NPC´s......and I put 100 mobs between you and the mission goal.....(ok,crazy example but you get the idea)

People can/will report you for creating a grinding mission,which will get the mission pulled....no mod will ever play the mission to see if they are right or not.
Who said the mod will pull it before reviewing?
Lt. Commander
# 29
04-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Did we really need another tattle tale post based on fiction? There has to be better things to do with your time.

-Grinding is not against any TOS or EULA I have ever seen, grinding is simply killing mobs repeatedly.
-Leveling in a day or a month makes a player no better or no worse, its simply a frequency of time.
-If you look over the last patch notes you will notice something about ship explosions only affecting 5 ships.

Now through all this, if by some chance someone still does put up one of those maps, im POSITIVE someone will blow the whistle.

We need more pewpew, less QQ
Lt. Commander
# 30
04-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf13
There has to be better things to do with your time.
Hi Pot, meet Kettle.