Lt. Commander
# 1 Multiple single objectives?
04-26-2011, 04:45 PM
I'm working on a generic survey mission. What I'd like to do is make one of the objectives to collect (for example) a mineral sample. I want the player to interact with one of several possible objects (ie there are three mineral sample objects, but he needs to interact with only ONE of them).

How would I do this?

Also, is there a way to make a hazardous (ie damaging) space effect? The idea is that they would want to scan the object but not stray too close or they take damage.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-26-2011, 09:10 PM
I don't think you can do a hazardous space effect.

In order to do what you want, you need to make it so the objective doesn't tell the player where to go, and also disable the objective waypoint. You can set the objective to read something like "Scan asteroids to gather more information."

Then put in the three scan targets. Make a dialogue that will appear after the scan that tells the player where to go for the next part of the mission (since they'll have no waypoint it would help if it was an obvious place, like a moon or planet that they can see in the distance). Once you have the dialogue made, duplicate it and put it after each of the scans. That way, regardless of which sample they take they'll get the dialogue which points them in the right direction.

Another way you could do it would be to set only one of the asteroids be the actual mission objective, and the others scans that turn out to be inconclusive. It wouldn't have the same effect in that you'd always have to eventually scan the right one to get the mission to progress, but the number they'd have to scan would depend on which ones they went to first.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-28-2011, 01:02 PM
I've seen some missions where the objectives are listed 0/3 or what have you (eg. Scan anomalies 0/3), that increment each time you scan things (ie 1/3, 2/3, etc). How do I do that?

How about making an objective to scan one of several objects? That is, there might be three anomalies, but you only have to scan one. How do I do that?

I figured there might not be any damaging effects. I was trying to simulate my vision of how a "typical" survey mission would go. That vision includes the presence of "Hazards" that would cause a serious debuff if you aren't careful.

For example, suppose you have to scan a temporal anomaly. If you get too close, it affects your ship, debuffing all systems, and reducing power for 1 hour of actual play. Each hazard present in a system would have a side mission to remove the debuff. In the above example, there might be a derelict ship nearby with salvagable dilithium crystals that you would have to find and retrieve.

Anyway, I'm still working on it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I've seen some missions where the objectives are listed 0/3 or what have you (eg. Scan anomalies 0/3), that increment each time you scan things (ie 1/3, 2/3, etc). How do I do that?
You just add an interact object, and then IN the box for that object, ****inue to add map objects until you have the number that you want the player to have to scan, be it 1, 3, 5, etc.

Quote:
How about making an objective to scan one of several objects? That is, there might be three anomalies, but you only have to scan one. How do I do that?
Unfortunately, the ability to do what you describe above doesn't really exist in the Foundry atm, as to get the interact prompt for the player; the object has to be a part of an interact objective on the mission Story area; and you can't make an oject 'scannable' without it being part of a mission objective.

Quote:
I figured there might not be any damaging effects. I was trying to simulate my vision of how a "typical" survey mission would go. That vision includes the presence of "Hazards" that would cause a serious debuff if you aren't careful.

For example, suppose you have to scan a temporal anomaly. If you get too close, it affects your ship, debuffing all systems, and reducing power for 1 hour of actual play. Each hazard present in a system would have a side mission to remove the debuff. In the above example, there might be a derelict ship nearby with salvagable dilithium crystals that you would have to find and retrieve.

Anyway, I'm still working on it.
You are correct in that there is no way to put in a 'damaging effect'. About the only thing you can do, is keep an NPC enemy group invisible until someone completes a scan objctive; and once teh objective is complete; have them appear and they'll start to attack if in range.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Unfortunately, the ability to do what you describe above doesn't really exist in the Foundry atm, as to get the interact prompt for the player; the object has to be a part of an interact objective on the mission Story area; and you can't make an oject 'scannable' without it being part of a mission objective.
You can make anything into an interact regardless of whether it's part of the story. It just has to be the trigger of a state transition in something else. In this case, scanning the asteroids would cause a pop-up dialogue to be displayed. Place the asteroid, then place the dialogue. Under the dialogue's state tabs, select component complete and then select the asteroid. Then switch to the asteroid and go to triggers, and you can set the interact text, interact length and the animation that plays when the player interacts with that object.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-28-2011, 06:37 PM
What I want to do is this, specifically.

I want the player to beam down with the instruction to collect one mineral sample. They would then search around until they find one. There would be several interactible mineral deposits, but the player would only have to interact with one of them.

I'm not sure I'm understanding your explanation, is what you're suggesting going to accomplish this, or is it impossible at present?
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-28-2011, 06:54 PM
It's not possible to really require them to do it, but you can fake it. The real objective is actually just a reach marker that they go to after the scan. You don't provide any reference of how to get there and you disable the waypoint. Then you have an identical dialogue that shows after scanning any of the asteroids that tells them where to go to continue the mission (the location of the reach marker).

Now, if someone knows where to go right off the bat, then they can just run by without scanning any asteroids, but someone who hasn't played the mission before won't know where to go, so they'll have to resort to scanning.

Another thing you can do to force them to actually scan is to put invisible walls blocking the reach marker. That way if they don't scan they can't actually make it to the marker, so it's a defacto mission objective.