Lt. Commander
# 11
04-28-2011, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalnar
Oh really ? Cpt.Obvious, I wouldn't notice ? thanks for clarifying that but how this well known fact, makes people stop post such things on forums and start their "Klingons are OP" chorus again ? It wont, same as it didn't in the past...that reminds me, is Azurian still playing ? I miss him a lot.
He's still around. Not sure how much time he spends in PvP now, with the BFAW thing going on...
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-28-2011, 07:44 AM
This is going to be a bandaid solution at best.

Likely scenario:
Queues are combined.
People will complain (both klings AND feds) about one side is OP or not.

----Trust me, with the "new generation" of klingons, a standard fed pug is quite capable of roflrolling right through them. They're the klingons Cryptic cultivated, the pve klings---

Less and less people will pvp, because cryptic continually implements new methods on acquiring emblems and rewards in pve that're comparable if not superior to those you can get through pvp. And does Cryptic do anything to expand pvp? lololololololololololol..... (out of breath) lolololololololololololololololol...........

Pvp dies a slow death. What could've been a good foundation to build on has now become WoW in Space. The new "fleet" raids they want to implement: Onyxia = Super powerful NPC ship or some such.

Pretty soon we'll start hearing "Looking for more for x fleet action! Need capable tanks with Mark (n) gear! PST!"

This is World of Trekcraft pretty soon.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
There are some major issues with the current queue system. Putting aside that I just spent a frustrating 10 minutes with a 5 man team waiting for FvK to pop when there were 5 people on the other side and no go, the shrinking PvP population is making having three separate queues totally impractical.

To put it simply, having three queues divides the community too much. KvK already may as well simply not exist (which is a shame because KvK is one of the more interesting and fun gametypes), and having people queued in both FvF and KvF frequently creates conflicts where people look at the queues and think "We have have enough people, why am I not getting a game?"

It's time that STO moved to a single combined queue. In this case everyone joins that same queue and when there are two full teams they will get a pop. Either team could be Klingon or Federation, so you end up with the possibility of FvF, FvK, and KvK all rolled into one. Players end up getting more variety and KvK matches get raised from the dead. Queues will go faster because there are no conflicts and you have everyone who wants to do PvP all in the same pool to work with. Also with faster queues more people will be more likely to want to PvP -- the current situation looks something like: Player queues for PvP, PvP takes too long to get going, player does some PvE, PvP queue pops in the middle of a mission, player leaves queue and ****s everyone over since he does not want to lose PvE progress. THIS IS BAD CRYPTIC.

Couple this with some kind of ranking system (either background or otherwise. Could be as simple as win-lose ratio to begin with) and you can tweak the system so that when there are multiple teams in the queue it will try and match teams that have similair ability to avoid lopsided matches. You can even take a page out of Starcraft 2 and offer increased/decreased rewards and penalties (or penalties if that ever comes into play) for matches where there is an obvious imbalance.

As much as we pay attention on balance, infrastructure is just as important, and maybe more. It's about time we (and Cryptic) gave it a thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
Another idea, if there are three players on each side why can't we get a 3v3 going? And when we have less than 5 people per team why does the system try to get more players to come in half way through the match and disrupt things?

Ideas:
  • Have the queue support 5v5, 4v4, 3v3, heck, perhaps even 2v2 while favouring more players per side when possible
  • Scale the kil counts with the number of players. Eg. 15 kills for 5v5, 12 for 4v4, 9 for 3v3, 6 for 2v2
  • Don't try to add people to existinng games except to balance out team numbers (so 4v3 to 4v4)

Would this not be infinitely better? Both in terms of getting games going and a giant increase in variety?
I do like the Idea, but you'd still get it some what because you'd still have the following queues:

Ground Arena

Ground Assault

Space arena

Space Capture and hold.

Although given the fact that you can only Queue up for 3 types of maps at a time, it would make it eaiser to get into the maps you want to get into. At least I believe it would. Maybe that's a question for the May edition of Ask Cryptic, Jorf. Might get answered.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-28-2011, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Well I'm pretty sure if the F and K queues are combined again, the "klingons are OP" chorus on forums will start again. /snip
Hate to be a jerk here, but you are completely wrong.

As Kerngan pointed out, the new generation of Klingon pugs are the saddest players I've ever witnessed, even sadder than most fed pugs. The only thing feds queuing FvK really need to worry about are Klingon premades, of which there is... let me think... LORE and.... that's about it nowadays :p

In fact, as a fed pug you're much more likely to run into a premade in FvF since there are, you know, actual multiple fleets regularly fielding them fed side.

Combining the queues obviously has up and downsides, but is already essential due to the current small number of PvPers. As our numbers continue to shrink it will only get worse. And if Cryptic ever designs a system where they try to match like skilled teams (even something as simple as tracking win-lose ratio would do), then all of the downsides of combining the queues are mitigated.
Lt. Commander
# 15
04-28-2011, 01:59 PM
I admit, i have never cared about premades, i simply win or lose...sorting my opponents would be some sort of excuse from me But truly, I did not know, the current klingon pop situation.....but it explains my latest experiences in KvF and i though i was just so good...damn

Anyway, if K sucks nowadays and F are OP, we can merge the queues
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Quote:
I admit, i have never cared about premades, i simply win or lose...sorting my opponents would be some sort of excuse from me But truly, I did not know, the current klingon pop situation.....but it explains my latest experiences in KvF and i though i was just so good...damn

Anyway, if K sucks nowadays and F are OP, we can merge the queues
The federation ships have been on the better side for a good while. All the cool toys are fed. lol

It is true that many of the "older" klink players have either left... went fed... or barley log in anymore.

Not sure any of Cryptics short term plans are going to right that ship anytime soon.
Lt. Commander
# 17
04-28-2011, 02:10 PM
*shrugs* toys are nice, but the difference is noticable only in capable hands. And those capable hands usually do not need them anyway....

It more of matters for competitive gameplay, ie. premade vs premade, for common pug carnage its hardly a difference.
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-28-2011, 02:51 PM
or you last remaining 6 or 7 kdf can give it up as a failed faction for pvp and roll feds and just join that queue, no more problem, certainly from a dev point of view a lot easier for you to do that than for them to bother altering the queue system for you, which is the problem really, we are just not worth the effort, well outside a post in the forums every now and then
Lt. Commander
# 19
04-28-2011, 03:26 PM
I only ever play FvF when I'm tired of waiting an hour for a match or, if on a team, someone else queues up. My knee jerk reaction is that this would be great. There are so many other Fed premades fielding FvF teams that I've never even heard of in FvK.

Isn't there some way to make the FvK queues more appealing? I still don't believe in all or nothing, but rewards have always needed an adjustment to have a significant difference between the winning and losing sides. Maybe FvF (KvK might still work since Klinks truly might be killing each other) should also have the absolutely lowest pay off in that regard, with FvK leading to the nicer rewards since it isn't a "simulation". We could use some hardcore PVP accolades that can only be achieved by participating in the war (not practicing for it in War Games).

Make the War (FvK) more appealing than the War Games (FvF).
Lt. Commander
# 20
04-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardept View Post
or you last remaining 6 or 7 kdf can give it up as a failed faction for pvp and roll feds and just join that queue, no more problem, certainly from a dev point of view a lot easier for you to do that than for them to bother altering the queue system for you, which is the problem really, we are just not worth the effort, well outside a post in the forums every now and then
This only sounds as horrible as it is true. That's sad, but I can't even argue.