Lt. Commander
The Community Detective reviews Star Trek Online in Issue #21. Check out the article at Massively to see what they had to say about the STO community!

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-28-2011, 11:20 AM
That is some pretty good publicity
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-28-2011, 11:43 AM
A little sad that there wasn't any mention of the writer's opinion on the PVP in the game as well. But I guess that isn't what everyone comes to an MMO to participate in.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-28-2011, 11:54 AM
In honesty I'm glad there wasn't - the PVP community at the minute isn't always the nicest place, but it's also quite neglected and I think that's reflected by it's attitude - it can be a harsh environment for newer players and doesn't necessarily reflect the community as a whole.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Its also nice to see that this game apparently appeals to non-trekkers as well. It might help in getting the game to break out. Still who knows
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
That is some pretty good publicity
You know what I was thinking Nagus? I was thinking; "Imagine if they quit wasting their time with these websites that are viewed by a whole 10,000 people (maybe) and instead ran commercials on TV, which is regularly watched by (reportedly) as many as 4 Billion people worldwide."

Now that would be some good publicity. You know, just something that I was thinking about Grand Nagus.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
You know what I was thinking Nagus? I was thinking; "Imagine if they quit wasting their time with these websites that are viewed by a whole 10,000 people (maybe) and instead ran commercials on TV, which is regularly watched by (reportedly) as many as 4 Billion people worldwide."

Now that would be some good publicity. You know, just something that I was thinking about Grand Nagus.
TV is expensive while these magazines and websites reviews are free. Heck, sometimes they are tripping over themselves for interviews.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobar26th
In honesty I'm glad there wasn't - the PVP community at the minute isn't always the nicest place, but it's also quite neglected and I think that's reflected by it's attitude - it can be a harsh environment for newer players and doesn't necessarily reflect the community as a whole.
I've yet to play a primarily PvE driven MMO where the vocal portion of the PvP community doesn't fit this description. When a game isn't primarily PvP driven, PvP mechanics, and sometimes content, take a back seat a bit, usually because the PvP community in these kinds of games is quite a bit smaller, and play for less hours overall, or at least PvP for less hours then PvE players play. If PvPers had a better concept of what their demographic looked like they might be able to be more understanding and build better relationships with the devs of these MMOs, and get better compromises.

All that isn't to say that I don't think more can't or shouldn't be done for PvP in STO, but more an observation on the typical PvP demographic.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
"Imagine if they quit wasting their time with these websites
Wasting what time? They didnt spend any time on this article other than posting it. All the time involved was done by the writer.
Lt. Commander
# 10
04-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Nice read! Grats on the good review to both Cryptic & the STO community as a whole. Keep it up

I agree with his findings on all fronts. Customer service has been quite quick & effective lately whenever I've required it, and I've known for a long time that the STO community is generally a much more mature & helpful bunch than your standard MMO.