Lt. Commander
# 101
04-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Ok...you were not the only one inconveinanced by this. We all where. But it no longer matters as the server is back UP!!
Lt. Commander
# 102
04-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zutty View Post
Grrrr... its the principle of it, people.

No it didn't really inconvenience me too much either. I'll have to start Minefield again, but its a cool mission so I'll probably enjoy it, AND yes I know its not like I've lost a limb or anything.

The point is, we ought to be able to expect a certain quality of service. Its not good to just go turning the servers on and off whenever they feel like it.

What if they'd put some crazy new patch in and it didn't work, bringing the server down for a lot longer? What if you'd organised a huge event with your fleet, and ended up losing everyone cos they just decided to do something else instead? What if you work for a living and only get to play for an hour a day anyway?
What if they found a bug that, if left unchecked, could cause a more "permanent" outage, or file corruption to the entire userbase? From somebody who actually works in a datacentre, and deals with programmers wanting outages on a regular basis, trust me when I say that they would not have brought the servers down "because they felt like it". The LAST thing anybody who works in a datacentre wants to do is reboot stuff.

If they gave you 10 minutes notice, that would mean that it is (probably) a critical fix that, if left untreated, could cause either mass problems, or mass game-balance issues (possibly related to Q's giveaways).

The people taking care of these servers have no personal animosity towards you, and in fact, probably don't even know you exist, so please, be thankful for the 10 minutes of warning, go outside, take a breath of fresh air, and put away the petulant child act.

In defense of Server Technicians everywhere...
Lt. Commander
# 103
04-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Sorry, you guys. As stated: This was not regular maintenance, this was us quickly trying to fix something before it became a bigger issue.

We try very hard to not take the servers down out of the announced times. When we do, we usually have a very good reason and in most cases it's a choice of: We take the server down NOW and quickly fix the problem or we wait until it crashes and we need a few hours to bring it back up.

Since this is now over and the thread sadly is pulling folks to break the forum rules, I will close up at this time.
Closed Thread