Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 82
04-29-2011, 10:45 AM
I try and look at the bright side myself. Were it not for maint, I would likely never visit the forums...and/or read what 3-4% of the actual player base thinks. Humor aside...it does suck, but what good will it do to cry about it? I am still trying to wrap my head around what a literally brand new player {not an alt} will do with double xp...aside from lvl too fast and get docked from missions they will likely be more than 3 lvl above constantly.

Personally I feel all double xp will do for a brand new player is ruin the experience...but whatever...I am not going to care when I get the VAs in zone asking where Memory Alpha is, where operations on DS9 is, what is the purpose of the trace particle mini-game is, etc....we all get that now lol.
Lt. Commander
# 83
04-29-2011, 10:46 AM
FWIW, the launcher is patching to 20110407a.16 now.
Lt. Commander
# 84
04-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeale
We need Scotty to fix this mess!
hehe, the more complex a system is getting the easier is to cause ciofusion ;-)
Lt. Commander
# 85
04-29-2011, 10:47 AM
I believe its back up! Patching now...
Lt. Commander
# 86
Server's up according to the main page.
Lt. Commander
# 87
just get over it and move on (MachoCyclone put it best), or would you rather they didn't do the emergency maintence and have the double-reward boost completely broken?

i wouldn't, and you shouldn't either Zutty
Lt. Commander
# 88
04-29-2011, 10:48 AM
You know, I think some people who were blaiming Q have it backwards. He didn't CAUSE the server issue. They caused it. But in his supreme benevelance, he's showing them how to fix it..

Maybe he'll also sneak in a preview of Season 4 while he's at it.
Lt. Commander
# 89
04-29-2011, 10:49 AM
The server's back up it seems! Come on in and play with me!
Lt. Commander
# 90
04-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zutty View Post
Yeah thanks Cryptic. I don't mind you taking the server down if you're going to notify us in advance, but just 10 freaking minutes in advance does not count.

Yours,
A Customer

Edit: So it seems nobody read my post, or my subsequent reply, and just assume this is some crazy nerd rage. I know the server has to come down occasionally, and I'm fine with this, but we ought to have been notified sooner.

I work with some very important web based services, and if I made a change to production (i.e. the live server) giving only 10 minutes notice to our customers, I'd get into a HUGE amount of trouble.

This was CLEARLY not an unplanned outage (by which I mean, the server didn't just break down). The term "emergency maintenance" means they just wanted to change something without going through the proper procedures.

It seems obvious to me that this is related to the upcoming promotions for this weekend. Its likely that either...
  • A developer forgot to add something, or left it too late
  • A tester found a bug at the last minute, with no time to schedule a new release
  • Some idiot in marketing decided to run a promotion without telling anyone in the dev team.

I come across this stuff all the time, but there are ways of dealing with all of them. You shouldn't ever end up in a situation where the live server gets taken down with only 10 minutes notice.

I also know that the only way that anything will change is if someone complains, so this is the complaint right here.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~<GM Jahia>
I think that last bullet point is a little far-fetched, surely nothing would escape DStahl's attention
Closed Thread