Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
04-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoeJoe
science team never fails to cast on self when ur the only targetable in range of 10k. ie: evade sci team cure/re enter battle
Let the rest of your team get fawed to death

SS is a bit too powerful. Honestly I'm fine with the target screwing that causes you pain in hitting SCI team... whats wrong with it;

Duration of 30+ seconds.... Jam Sensors don't last that long.
Unbreakable on damage.... it should have a dmg threshold around 2x that of jam IMHO anyway
Arc... it don't have one... the only other sensor probe ability VM has a 90

Scramble 3 with a duration around 20 sec max would be right... 90 degree casting arc... and break on dmg (the threshold shouldn't be super low and should scale with version 1 2 and 3)
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-30-2011, 06:13 PM
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husanak View Post

SS is a bit too powerful. Honestly I'm fine with the target screwing that causes you pain in hitting SCI team... whats wrong with it;

Unbreakable on damage.... it should have a dmg threshold around 2x that of jam IMHO anyway

Scramble 3 with a duration around 20 sec max would be right... 90 degree casting arc... and break on dmg (the threshold shouldn't be super low and should scale with version 1 2 and 3)
Seconded.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-01-2011, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronScarlet
TSI vs RE ( I was a random pug put on TSI team) example both teams were full FAW groups except me but what made the match 15-0 was TSI had SS, RE didi not= RE killed them selves with the help of TSI
I find it highly unlikely that there would ever be a full RE FAW team without any SS. It's usually the other way around We don't use FAW cruisers.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-01-2011, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husanak View Post

why not just make it an aoe jam sensors? keep the durations as they are but have the same mechanic as jam sensors otherwise, would make a nice defence ability for when you find yourself under focus fire. tho i don't mind it as it is, i kinda like the annoyance factor it brings, and even on my sci i don't even carry a copy.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-01-2011, 04:46 AM
In my opinion SS could be fixed if you're guaranteed to clear it with ST. IMO that would be enough to fix the skill.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-01-2011, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaius View Post
In my opinion SS could be fixed if you're guaranteed to clear it with ST. IMO that would be enough to fix the skill.
fine as long as SS at 30s is made an ensign skill just the same, why should every single skill in this game that does not cause direct damage always be auto cleared by either ensign ET ot ST? those skills are more numerous anyhow. It just means players will end up with offesive no ounter skills and people will complain about lack of choice as all other skills are pointless.

There is a severe lack of skills that can break a good defensive team atm, SS will at least offer some chance that healing for players like Era is made problematic (tho in truth it doesn't as he is always the very first person to get a sci team even if that takes multiple copies to do), if it is auto cleasred i promise that he will never be scrambled for more than a second, and it will only be a couple of seconds later that the rest are cleared. Yes you could bering multiple copies but only 3 has any gameplay impact and is long enough to bother with, science will all carry cbp at 4cmdr as it is the only remotely helpful skill left at that lvl, GW is not required beyond LtCmdr and had no impact on team play anyway so i am not sure why players stil bother with it.

This game is becomming more and more an old naval ship of the line battle where he who brings the most guns wins, it will not be long until you just form a line and braodside each other until one side is ground down. but i suppose that is actually what the mainstream want, otherwise they wouldn't keep pushing towards it
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-01-2011, 06:18 AM
I get your point. But please let me first say this. We had a game yesterday where both teams we're scrambled 90% of the time for half an hour. The problem with SS is, that it takes the fun out of the game. That shouldn't be. I could also live with some kind of resistance like there is with stuns so that you can't spam the skill and have to think when you use it and on whom. If a skill works well if you're simply throwing it out all the time on everyone, it ain't good.

Now onto your point: Yes, I get that. Balance in this game went down the toilet when they raised the level cap and introduced new ships. In the timeframe between the fixes for SNB, FBP, VM, Target Subsystem Stacking and the Healing Revamp on one side and the level cap raise on the other we had a pretty neat balance and the game was really fun. Nowadays Tacs are pretty useless and if one team decides to heal they can always heal way more than the other team can do damage. It's a problem, but SS shouldn't be the solution.

Where getting a ground revamp with season 4, so how about a space revamp for season 5? We need lots of rebalancing and just changing one or two skills won't fix the larger issues.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-01-2011, 06:43 AM
I think there is already plenty of abilities which take fun out of pvp scramble sensors is nothing spectacular in this area.
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Quote:
The problem with SS is, that it takes the fun out of the game. That shouldn't be.
I think that is one of the other parts of game design. Maybe you can even balance, say the old Viral Matrix or RSP in some way. But they just aren't fun.

But how to improve it? Is just a scramble resist sufficient? Maybe it would. A lot of the complain is about "spam" - the best way to use any power is to use it as often as possible. There is no need to diversity - if you got 3 SS3s in your team, no reason to load up another skill - add a 4th for full-ime coverage. Same with heals, basically.

There must be some kind of mechanic in this game that encourages heterogeneous team builds, people using different powers.

Attack Pattern Beta: Should never stack with any other Beta.
Heals and HOTs with the same name should simply not stack on the same target.
If you got a Scramble Sensors 3, the cooldowns and temporary immunities/resistance should make a Gravity Well more effective. If you already got a Gravity Well, you should be better off with a Tyken Rift. If you got Charged Particle Burst, a second will do you no good.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-01-2011, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I think that is one of the other parts of game design. Maybe you can even balance, say the old Viral Matrix or RSP in some way. But they just aren't fun.

But how to improve it? Is just a scramble resist sufficient? Maybe it would. A lot of the complain is about "spam" - the best way to use any power is to use it as often as possible. There is no need to diversity - if you got 3 SS3s in your team, no reason to load up another skill - add a 4th for full-ime coverage. Same with heals, basically.

There must be some kind of mechanic in this game that encourages heterogeneous team builds, people using different powers.

Attack Pattern Beta: Should never stack with any other Beta.
Heals and HOTs with the same name should simply not stack on the same target.
If you got a Scramble Sensors 3, the cooldowns and temporary immunities/resistance should make a Gravity Well more effective. If you already got a Gravity Well, you should be better off with a Tyken Rift. If you got Charged Particle Burst, a second will do you no good.
I agree with this times 10000x.

There's nothing more frustrating than finally getting Era down to ~70-80%, only to have him to hit by 2 or 3 Hazards :p

A while ago (and I mean a while ago, our entire PvP crew minus 3 or 4 people have left the game), The 300 used to stack Betas/Sensor Scans and eat people through their shields. Betas shouldn't stack, amongst other things.