Lt. Commander
# 1 Plagirism
04-30-2011, 03:03 PM
I am thinking of tackling a story for the Foundry, but I have a concern. There are so many stories out there, how do you keep from accidentally (not intentionally) stepping on someone else's idea? It seems to be impossible to look through all the missions out there to keep from coming up with an idea that may be someone else's too. Is this an issue that can be avoided? I am just curious how the community feels about this, and what suggestions there are to avoid it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-30-2011, 03:08 PM
there will be thousand of stories at some point so i really would not worry too much. people will end up doing similar stories, or involving similar enemies or situations. its inevitable and unavoidable, just try to avoid doing things that you personally have seen in the foundry. if you copy someone by accident without even realising it then so be it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Under the EULA, Cryptic owns everything you create with Foundry, so the only rights in another Foundry mission you might step on are theirs. If one Foundry mission copies something from another Foundry mission, Cryptic won't care, because they already own both of them anyway. You will run into problems for commercial misuse, depiction of actual people, etc., but that stuff is all spelled out in the EULA; avoid the things they tell you to avoid, which is fairly easy, and you will be fine.
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Well, you can pretend to be a big time hollywood writer or producer. 99.9% of them, including the Star Trek franchise, claim to never read unsolicited scripts. If that's your policy and it's consistent, it will hold up in court when someone tries to sue you for stealing their story. So, the solution to your problem if you are worried about plagiarism, is to never do anyone else's foundry mission.