Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
As I understand it DPS is damage per second. So if I have a weapon that fired once every 60seconds at 500 damage thats 8.3 DPS. A weapon that does 500 damage and fires 30seconds is 500/30 = 16.6DPS.

What I am getting confused with is the in game stats don't seem to add up.The stats page of my torpedo in game is 2875 damage, 10 sec fire rate and 274 dps. How do you get to 274? Shouldn't it be 285dps?
Next I fit a +26 damage mod. I always thought the +xx numbers are % so that's a + 26% damage. Fitting the module gives me a torpedo damage state of 3132 damage, 10 sec fire rate and 274 dps and 298 DPS? Not only does the 298 dps number not make sense to me but I don't see a 26% change in the numbers.

On the plus side enegey weapons half work as I expected. Take the damage number x by 4 then devide the result by 5 for DPS (dual beam bank). But again I don't understand how the xx damage mods apply to that damage. Any one able to explain to me?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-06-2011, 11:25 AM
I don't quite know what is up with the DPS calculation in your example, I know the UI sometimes rounds numbers so you don't see the correct one, but that doesn't seem to be able to explain such a discrepancy.

The skill bonus is not a straight percentage. In my signature I have a link to a thread on some mechanical details on the game, including this:
Quote:
Q: How do the weapon skills affect my damage?
Each weapon has a base damage, which it does at MK0 (Standard Issue). Weapon damage is based on two separate components: Equipment Mark and Skill Level. These are added to the base damage, and are completely independent from one another (ex: you'll get the same skill bonus whether you have an MK I or MK XI weapon). At Max Equipment mark/Skill Level (ignoring consoles) your damage will be 320% of the base.
  • Equipment Mark = 10% increase on the base damage per MK (Max 120% at MK XII).
  • Weapon Skill = 1% increase on the base damage per skill point. Consoles keep adding damage in this same way.
(Provided by Nagorak)
The effective total damage is thus: MK0 Base Damage * (1 + (Weapon Skill / 100) + (Mark * 0.1)).
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks that much makes more sense. So when I get a damage boosting mod it's only boosting the base Standard Issue damage. Then you apply the mark damage. For example if I have 50% to photons I do 50% to std issue then apply the mark xi bonues. Though I still don't understnad why the torpedo DPS numbers are so far off.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-06-2011, 11:41 AM
So taking MK0 Base Damage * (1 + (Weapon Skill / 100) + (Mark * 0.1)). A Std issue photon torpedo with my skill at 41 and a mk xi torp would be

1352* (1 + (41 / 100) + (11 * 0.1))= Y then divide Y by fire rate for DPS. That adds up with what I see in game. Thanks for explaining everything.

Next question, how do you know the std issue damage of weapons? Unless I am mistaken only photons torps come at std issue. I wanted to compare the DPS numbers of all the torps at max skill and items without having to buy them all.

Not sure if this is correct, but been given these numbers for std issue.

Photon Torpedo Launcher
1383 (213)

Quantum Torpedo Launcher
1447 (170)

Plasma Torpedo Launcher
1085.5 (127.5)

Transphasic Torpedo Launcher
1000.5 (95.5)

Chroniton Torpedo Launcher
1184 (113)
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Here is an old explanation that may still be valid;

Quote:
DPS and Burst vs Sustained Damage
DPS stands for Damage Per Second. As it measures the rate at which damage is dealt, itís useful for comparing weapons with different firing speeds.

For example, consider two weapons: Weapon A does 100 damage and fires every 10 seconds, while Weapon B does 500 damage and fires every 50 seconds. Although the two weapons do different amounts of damage per hit, they both deal damage at the same rate of 10 Damage Per Second.

As a measure of a weaponís ability to deal sustained damage, DPS is an important consideration when selecting which weapons to use. However, sustained damage is not the only important consideration in space combat in Star Trek: Online.

In some situations, the ability to deal as much damage as possible in a very short period of time Ė often referred to as burst damage Ė can be more significant.

For example, as shields regenerate every 6 seconds, whenever you knock down a targetís facing shield, you want to do as much damage as possible to the opponentís hull in the few seconds before the next shield regeneration Ďtickí.

Likewise, when fighting a faster, more manoeuvrable opponent, it can be hard to keep them in your firing arcs. When you can bring your weapons to bear on such an opponent, you want to hit them as hard as you can before they move out of your firing arcs.

In general, the burst potential of a weapon in STO is balanced against its sustained damage Ė the more burst damage a weapon can deal, the lower its DPS will tend to be.

For example, quantum torpedoes do more damage than photon torpedoes of the same Mark, but have a longer recharge time and thus a lower DPS. In situations where you want to do as much damage as possible with a single shot, quantums will hit harder. However, when you are able to fire multiple torpedoes in a row, photons will deal more sustained damage over time.
Quote:
Understanding Damage Reports
In combat, Star Trek: Online shows you how much damage your weapons are doing with each attack in two places Ė the small yellow numbers that float up from your target and the Combat tab in the chat window.

The small yellow numbers show only one thing Ė the amount of hull damage each attack is inflicting. For more detail, you need to look at the combat log in the chat window. Although it tends to scroll too fast to be particularly readable in combat, it can be worth taking a look back through the numbers after a fight.

For each of your attacks, youíll normally see something like:

<target> absorbs X (Y) damage to <target> with
Shield Array-<facing>Your <weapon> deals A (B) <damage type> damage to <target>X is how much damage your attack did to the targetís shields.

Y is how much damage would have been done to the hull if it hadnít been applied to the shields.

A is how much damage your attack did to the targetís hull.

B is the total damage your attack did

The first line, with the X and Y numbers, is only shown when the target had an active shield up at the time of the attack. Y is only shown if the targetís shield or hull was resistant to the damage you did, and B is only shown when the target had an active shield at the time of the attack and/or the targetís hull was resistant to the damage you did.

For example, if you saw:

Bird-of-Prey absorbs 180 (162) damage to Bird-of-Prey with
Shield Array-Front

Your Phaser Array deals 18 (200) Phaser damage to Bird-of-PreyThis means that your phaser array hit the front shield facing of a Bird of Prey for 200 damage (B). 180 of the damage was applied to the shield (X) and would have caused 162 damage to the hull (Y), so the Bird of Prey has a 10% hull resistance to Phaser damage (Y/X = 0.9). The hull of the Bird of Prey took 18 damage (A), which means that the Bird of Preyís shield has a 10% bleedthrough (20 damage bled through the shield and was reduced to 18 by the 10% resistance).

Taking the time to look through the combat log can reveal useful information about both the effectiveness of your weapons against an opponent and the type of weapons an opponent used against you.

As Starfleet officers tend to spend each rank fighting similar types of opponent in PvE, it can be handy to know what weapons are effective against them and which damage types theyíre likely to use on you.
evidently Mark status has an impact as well.

Hope that helps as well.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Is this still valid?

Quote:
Damage Modifiers
There are several modifiers that affect the damage of your weapons in space combat Ė the base damage of the weapon, your captainís level in the appropriate weapon skills, any bonuses to those skills, and (in the case of energy weapons), your current weapon power level and the range to the target.

Standard Issue and Mark Bonus
Before looking at how these modifiers are applied, itís important to understand that the base damage of a weapon appears to be the sum of two factors Ė the ĎStandard Issueí damage of the weapon type and a ĎMark Bonusí:

o The Standard Issue damage of a weapon type is the damage of a ĎMark 0′ version of that weapon type
o The Mark Bonus is roughly 10% of the Standard Issue damage of the weapon type per Mark of the weapon, up to 100% at Mark X.
(Note that itís not actually a smooth +10%/Mark, at least for energy weapons. Iím going to be looking at the exact Mark Bonus in more detail soon, but for the moment, +10%/Mark is a good rule of thumb.)

Damage Calculations
Based on the testing Iíve done so far, the damage of your weapons appears to be calculated as follows:

1.Your captainís total Stat Bonus for the weapon is applied as a percentage to the Standard Issue damage of the weapon
2.This is added to the base damage of the weapon
3.For energy weapons, the total damage is then modified by +2% for every point of weapon power over 50 or -2% for every point of weapon
This is the current damage displayed on the dynamic weapon tooltips on your hotbar or in the weapons tray, and for the mathematically-inclined can be summarised as:

(Base + (SI x (Stat/100)) x (WPow/50)

Where Base is the base damage of the weapon, SI is the Standard Issue damage of the weapon type, Stat is the total Stat Bonus and WPow is the current weapon power level.

(For details of how your captainís Stat Bonuses are calculated, see the Skills: The Numbers article. For details on the effects of power levels, see the Ship Power Levels article. For a table of the Standard Issue damage of the various weapon types, see below.)

When an energy weapon is fired, the current damage is further modified by the range to the target:

o For beam weapons, damage is reduced by around -4% per km beyond 1km
o For cannon weapons (turrets count as cannons for the purposes of range), damage is reduced by around -8% per km beyond 2km
(For more details on the effects of range, see the Weapon Ranges article.)

A couple of examples:

A captain with a total Stat Bonus of 40 for photon torpedoes equips a Photon Torpedo Launcher Mk VI, with a base damage of 2,202 and a DPS of 339.

The Standard Issue damage for a photon torpedo launcher is 1,383. The captainís stat bonus of 40 is applied as a percentage, giving 1,383 x 40% = 553 bonus damage.

Thatís added to the base damage, giving 2,202 + 553 = 2755 damage. Thatís a 25% increase over the base damage, so the DPS will be 424 (339 x 1.25).

A captain with a total Stat Bonus of 77 for tetryon beam weapons equips a Tetryon Beam Array Mk IX, with a base damage of 190 and DPS of 152. The current weapon power level of his ship is 82.

The Standard Issue damage for a beam array is 100. The captainís stat bonus of 77 is applied as a percentage, giving 100 x 77% = 77 bonus damage.

This is added to the base damage, giving 190 + 77 = 267 damage. This is then increased by 64% due to the current weapon power level (82/50 = 1.64) to 438 (267 x 1.64). Thatís a 230.5% increase over the base damage, so the DPS will be 350 (152 x 2.305).

If the captain fires at an opponent 5km away, the damage will be reduced by -16% due to range (-4% per km over 1km) and each pulse of the tetryon beam will strike the target for 368 damage (438 x 0.84).
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsey
What I am getting confused with is the in game stats don't seem to add up.The stats page of my torpedo in game is 2875 damage, 10 sec fire rate and 274 dps. How do you get to 274? Shouldn't it be 285dps?
What you are missing here is the 0.5s activation time for torps. This makes it 10.5 between shots, not 10.

2875/ (10 + 0.5) = 273.8. Which rounds to 274.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axterix
What you are missing here is the 0.5s activation time for torps. This makes it 10.5 between shots, not 10.

2875/ (10 + 0.5) = 273.8. Which rounds to 274.
Wow! I never thought of including that! Makes a lot sense
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-06-2011, 01:14 PM
This is what I came up with assuming max skill is 182 for torps apart from trans which go up to 212 with the set items. (max in my ship with 3 tact slots) all at max XI assuming no dam mod on the weapon.

Photon 1383* (1 + (182 / 100) + (11* 0.1))= 5421.36 =903.56dps
Quantum 1447* (1 + (182 / 100) + (11 * 0.1))= 5672.24= 709.03dps
Plasma 1085.5* (1 + (182 / 100) + (11 * 0.1))= 4255.16= 531.895dps
Transphasic 1000.5* (1 + (212 / 100) + (11 * 0.1))= 4222.11= 422.211 dps
Transphasic rapid fire 990.95* (1 + (212 / 100) + (11 * 0.1))= 4181.809= 522.726125 dps
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsey
Transphasic 1000.5* (1 + (212 / 100) + (11 * 0.1))= 4222.11= 422.211 dps
Transphasic rapid fire 990.95* (1 + (212 / 100) + (11 * 0.1))= 4181.809= 522.726125 dps
Your numbers for the rapid fire seem off.

The rapid fire has a base value of about 80% (most likely 80.9% or 8.5/10.5) of a normal transphasic. For me, with Mk Xs (what I happened to check with), for example, a Transphasic shows 1956, while the rapid fire shows 1580. Both have a DPS rating of 186.

In essence, the rapid fire Transphasic is a white common item, that trades off some burst potential for greater smoothness due to firing more frequently.

Given the nature of torpedoes, with a player wanting to time them when shields are down, potentially not being able to utilize their max rate of fire due to limited firing arc, and the use HY torp BOff powers, this makes the rapid fire inferior to the regular version.

It is, sadly, a bad joke played on us by the devs.

To be a proper purple item, it needs to:
1. Do higher dps than a normal transphasic, as compensation for losing burst damage.
2. Get 3 bonus worth of things (2% crit, an extra 0.5 tier of damage, etc) to actually make it purple.