Lt. Commander
# 1 PvP addition suggestion
05-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Add the away teams to PvP combat.

pluses:

More tactical feel to ground combat, especially with the finer control of away teams in ground combat coming in season 4.

More realistic combat situations. It makes no sense to have 5-10 ship captains performing some sort of ground assult/boarding action. Thay're ship captains after all!

It requires players to "command". Right now PvP feels like a training execise in single combat. What it does not feel like is Trek. At the moment its just another multi player shooter with a trek feel, but it doesn't feel real.

Minus's.

None really, but it might not be everyones cup of tea. The tactical gamer in me loves the idea.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-04-2011, 08:22 AM
As part of fleet actions dealing with large numbers and larger maps, I could get behind taking all my BOffs with me.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-04-2011, 10:16 AM
*pulls up a chair to take notes while this is being discussed*
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemaraa_Iron_Hand_KBF View Post
Add the away teams to PvP combat.

pluses:

More tactical feel to ground combat, especially with the finer control of away teams in ground combat coming in season 4.

More realistic combat situations. It makes no sense to have 5-10 ship captains performing some sort of ground assult/boarding action. Thay're ship captains after all!

It requires players to "command". Right now PvP feels like a training execise in single combat. What it does not feel like is Trek. At the moment its just another multi player shooter with a trek feel, but it doesn't feel real.

Minus's.

None really, but it might not be everyones cup of tea. The tactical gamer in me loves the idea.
For this to work properly we need better control of our BO's.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-04-2011, 10:30 AM
I love this idea it would make alot of sense and i know lots of people who would try this
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-04-2011, 10:31 AM
This would not work unfortunately. Some BO settups are far more powerful than others, and designed as such for grinding up levels (such as a full turret setup for grinding through Klingon missions)
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Taking BOs into PvP, even just 1, has been discussed many times before now, with no reaction from the devs (WishStone's not a dev, but at least it's better than nothing this time). It's still a great idea.

Sharkforce is right, better control is definitely needed. Something more like City of's Mastermind controls? Without it, BOs could ruin surprise ambushes, or end up in a non-stop battle with NPC turrets.

From what I understand, BOs' targetting is also a bit wonky; they apparently don't heal allies very well. This would HAVE to be changed in PvP. If a BO can't heal a teammate properly, how would they heal a non-teamed ally?
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Here's a minus...there isn't really a lot of variety in BO skills, plus the ability to control them in a meaninful way is limited. (It would be nice to 'program' their tactics like Dragon Age.) So I suspect everything would come back to the captain anyway.

Now you could add a bit of interest by making it like Guild Wars hero battles - send BOs out to hold flags or something.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-04-2011, 10:36 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~GM Tiyshen
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Hey! Lay off WishStone!