05-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firix
Hey! Lay off WishStone!
ok she has a pet that can type, that is i confess, very cool
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-04-2011, 10:46 AM
While I can see that something like a fleet and platoon control game mode would be interesting, I think this is not really something we need now, when we are still lacking on so many other areas. For this task specifically, it would already be a good start if at least the pet control UI would be better (e.g. it would exist and wasn't just fire and forget)

If you want to talk PvP additions, this is the laundry list IMO:
But for a start, things could be a lot more modest and get grander:
  1. New Arena Map
  2. New CapnHold Map
  3. New War Zone Map
  4. New Game Mode (maybe start by restoring and cleaning up an old one - Space Assault anyone?)
  5. Foundry PvP Map/Mode support
  6. Leaderboards
  7. PvP Tournament Organization tools
  8. Fleet Starbase PvP Defense
  9. Territory Control Sector Block (A Sector Block "only" because full Open PvP does not work with the existing community, and that includes PvP fans like me.)
Maybe in the above sequence, maybe not. Maybe we don't need tournaments or even leaderboards if we have territory control. Maybe we need both because people like different things.

If we are at the point of Territory Control, I would say that a platoon/fleet control system for fleet admirals would be interesting.

There are also some stuff that is orthogonal to the above, like:
Enabling mixed rank/tier play on space and ground. That's more then just allowing people to play on the same map, regardless of tier or ship choice. It requires a weighting behind it to allow building mixed team that are still "fair" to fight each other, and probably a re balancing across tiers. This is something that should probably be considered once territory control or fleet comand, but it might first be introduced and tested for Arena or Capture & Hold.

And of course, the list doesn't include balance tweaks (not just "fix BFAW", but "make Energy Siphon useful" or "balance torpedoes and weapon skills" and stuff like that.). But balance tweaks are _not_ content. They alone will not satisfy the demand for more content and more PvP support. It's just "fix what you broke".
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-04-2011, 10:55 AM
I would love to see more maps and some new modes.

Arena is kill everything, and Cap&Hold is usually kill everything, but in certain areas. It would be really cool to have a task to complete, or even combining Space and Ground (think Starbase 24)
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-04-2011, 11:11 AM
I think some one pointed out the issues with balance. I think we wait and see just what the new ground system looks like after the next major. I am hoping cryptic makes ground something interesting. I can see some pvp issues coming up with pretty much 2 diffrent games to balance. A ground map that would include one of two Bridge officers could be fun though... I don't see why it couldn't be an option. Of course unless something changes (new update who knows) and plenty more people are willing to que for ground, getting players would be difficult.

Although as a private match option I can see the you tube vids now of the Orion hit Squad Vs The Orion hit Squad Babo Royals.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Yeah, until Tac and Science BOFFs are less feeble on the ground compared with the 12-turret rampage, this would only serve to increase the monotony and hilarity of ground PvP. I mean, it would be loads of laughs seeing 130 phaser turrets blazing away in one spot; the first time. After that though, it would get real old in about 13 seconds.

For those taking notes, please do note that this should not be used as the basis for yet another swing of the nerfbat at engineers or deployables. It is, however, a good reason to reexamine the effectiveness of the other two classes of BOFFs on the ground, and of combined teams in general.

Taking BOFFs with us on ground Fleet Actions would be another thing entirely though, and should be considered. These tend to get run with a lot less people than they were originally planned for, when they run at all. Adding away teams could do a lot to revive their appeal.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Tac officers already beam down a squad of officers, and turret spam is bad enough from just eng Captains. Are you suggesting we multiply this problem, or do away with the current spam and equalize all captains with Boffs instead?

It just seems to me that the fears of unbalanced Boff setups already exists between captain kits. Try going against a redshirt army (up to 20 on a 5 tac team) or turret/drone army (20 on a 5 man fab kit eng team) with only 5 sci guys.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-04-2011, 12:16 PM
It might be pretty hilarious if you could make all your BOFFs a clone of your captain, set your title to "Commander," and drop out of your fleet. Would there be anything else on the floater tag for your toon to distinguish you from your BOFFs? The info window would still show the diff between players and pets, but in a crowd, it could be like a poor man's ground MVAM.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-04-2011, 12:22 PM
I think PVP should take place in the PVE world too. maybe kind of like DSE or I suggested long ago a pvp fleet action both sides could fight in as a capture the flag type situation. ( in the future for fleet controlled Star Bases)
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Yea, might need some fine tuning of the AI for away teams, but that is coming to some extent in season 4 anyway, and we get finer control over away teams. Might have to figure out what your away teams are really good and bad at. Could be painfull. I mix and match for away team missions as it is with my BO's so whyyyyy NOT take that to PvP.

On Gear:
Orginally I had not consider gear, and it does need to be accounted for. Score the gear. Use it as a modifier. Certainly effecting any payout (honor etc) perhapes even ...hummm.. a loss of honor if the target is to easy. Quite logical! Reverse it also, if you even manage to hurt a tweaked out starship, you should get honor.. Have to think about how its put together.

:oes thumbs up::
Kirk told us we would be tested on our ability to manage our teams.
::evil grin:: I always did like that.
((Interplay, Starfleet Academy))

Might I add this is Star Trek and we are the captains of starships. We command. Need more of that in the game. Yes, I AM suggesting adding to the complexity of the game. Who said tactics are simple. Its supossed to be hard.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezdedjim
...increase the monotony and hilarity of ground PvP...

Taking BOFFs with us on ground Fleet Actions would be another thing entirely though, and should be considered. These tend to get run with a lot less people than they were originally planned for, when they run at all. Adding away teams could do a lot to revive their appeal.
Not sure what you mean by monotony and hilarity of ground PvP.

BOs in fleet actions would be great! Even better, with the FA queue coming up, allow us to choose whether or not we take BOs when we enter a FA. Some people would no doubt want to continue doing them without BOs.