Lt. Commander
# 1 Just out of interest
05-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Now that we have the Foundry does that mean the Dev's do not have to come up with new mission content and storylines themselves? I know everyone things that this tool is wonderful and all but does it not just make the designers lazy. For example, WoW has no Foundry but has over 1 million quests which have all been created by the Dev's, STO has like 30 odd in the entire game so does this give the Devs a chance to slack in coming up with their own content?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondCelestalis View Post
Now that we have the Foundry does that mean the Dev's do not have to come up with new mission content and storylines themselves?
No. No one, but some forum posters, has even hinted to any such thing. If anything, the flood of new Foundry missions may help Cryptic determine what sort of missions please the fans and if Cryptic is smart about things, they'll use our missions to help them write better content that more players enjoy.

The big picture is, STO is an MMO whether we like it or not. This means that Cryptic must continually develop the world and the gameplay with more content and more gameplay concepts. More gear, more abilities, more ships, more classes/roles etc. MMO's never stay the same and Foundry or no Foundry we as a community cannot grow STO the way Cryptic can.

That's at least the big picture I see, YMMV of course.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Now that we have the Foundry does that mean the Dev's do not have to come up with new mission content and storylines themselves?
Well if you read the engineering reports and Ask Cryptics they have said they are still developing content for the game - especially along the lines of the feature episodes which are very popular. With those coming out every week and planning for there not beign more than a couple weeks between FEs thats quite a lot of new content in the pipeline

Especially if you consider the fact that MOST of STos missions are not of the go talk to or kill 10x variety which can be sometimes completed in mere minutes or seconds.

Quote:
For example, WoW has no Foundry but has over 1 million quests which have all been created by the Dev's, STO has like 30 odd in the entire game so does this give the Devs a chance to slack in coming up with their own content?
WoW has thousands of quests yes but nothing near a million. (wowhead shows there being 9884 quests in the game)
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-04-2011, 10:15 AM
I also remember dStahl himself talking about having used the Foundry tool-set to write some of the dailies for the Breen series. So in essence, the Foundry could actually help Cryptic develop content even faster than they used to, especially new dailies that people seem to like playing through.

Regarding WoW, lets not forget that WoW had several years to grow their quest offerings, you can't really compare what WoW offers now to what STO offers now. It wouldn't be a very productive comparison, not to mention that Blizzard has stol...err I mean borrowed from so many sources to create their quests that WoW feels like a wonderland of disjointed stuff in ways STO cannot afford to be because of the watching eye of the franchise owners.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Regarding WoW, lets not forget that WoW had several years to grow their quest offerings, you can't really compare what WoW offers now to what STO offers now. It wouldn't be a very productive comparison, not to mention that Blizzard has stol...err I mean borrowed from so many sources to create their quests that WoW feels like a wonderland of disjointed stuff in ways STO cannot afford to be because of the watching eye of the franchise owners.

I think I would probably laugh for a week if I randomly came across a quest to go collect 10 boar hearts while playing STo... perhaps that should be available as a holodeck mission

And I agree with LoP here - WoW is a different game in a different genre that has had YEARS to adapt and grow. WoW today in many ways is a much different entity than what launched so many years ago (at least in some ways). While it might be appropriate for the Hero of the <insert faction name here> to go out and collect boar hearts for a random distressed citizen most of the types of tasks you find in WoW hardly seem appropriate for a Federation officer (I hear that Klingons MIGHT actually enjoy heart collecting quests though...)
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Now that we have the Foundry does that mean the Dev's do not have to come up with new mission content and storylines themselves? I know everyone things that this tool is wonderful and all but does it not just make the designers lazy. For example, WoW has no Foundry but has over 1 million quests which have all been created by the Dev's, STO has like 30 odd in the entire game so does this give the Devs a chance to slack in coming up with their own content?
Considering the STO Executive Producer DStahl stated that they were retooling and re-organizing the Dev Team so that they can do nine (9) new Featured Episode series a year (at 5 episodes per - that's 45 weeks of new Dev mission content per year) with no more than a two week break from one to the next; and still keep to 3 to 4 Season Update patches too (IMO a very ambitious goal); I have to say, no I don't think the Devs are stoppping new mission content creation now that the Foundry is Live on Holodeck.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-04-2011, 11:16 AM
no, because a) only a small percentage of people use the foundry so any reduction in content by the devs would be career suicide and b) they have already said they plan to increase the amount of content they produce. they are not going to slack, they are going to make more.

it also does not help your case when you say wow has a million quests and sto has 30. no offence but both figures are complete rubbish.

im sure that was an exaggeration simpley to highlight a point but what difference there are, is more down to the fact wow has not only a bigger budget, larger team of devs, longer development time, about 150 times the number of subs, and 6 years exta of release time, might just explain the diffrence in missions.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-04-2011, 11:34 AM
In addition to the numbers being off, I don't think comparing "quests" to missions is very accurate. A quest can be something as inane as "kill ten rats" or "deliver this message to so and so". The jumja stick retrieval is a "quest". Missions include custom made maps, dialogue, etc. They're a lot more involved than many quests from other MMOs. That's not to say other MMOs don't have involved quests too, but they have a hell of a lot more filler quests. Granted, STO's "world" is developed more through the missions than simply being there to explore.

I don't think the Foundry will replace the need for Dev made content. However, it will help with the lack of content. Cryptic is a small team and there's no way they can create enough content to keep everyone happy (hell, no MMO developer can).
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-05-2011, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Yeah - the devs are still working on missions. Klingons are getting new leveling content (as well as their own tutorial), Series 4 is getting into the pipeline with plans of ramping up afterwards. This is in addition to the thousands of missions you can send DOFFs on for Season 4 (but I won't count those).

The devs have added 53 missions post-launch (excluding explores/aid/first contact).

Not sure what math you use but Launch + 53 > 30.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Are the Devs admitting that they can't make their goal of 5 FE series this year yet? It's cool if the Season 4 stuff is as game changing as it appears but I'd like them to be honest that they can't make it since Season 4 is being pushed to July.