Lt. Commander
So I was all excited to use the Foundry because it would finally let me make and play missions that felt like Klingon missions. Go back to TNG and DS9 and you will see that being a Klingon means butting heads (literally) with other Klingons. Their R&R is bar fights during the Klingon Civil War, Worf kills numerous Klingons that get in his way and the way of the Empire, etc etc etc. I feel like many who play this game think that Klingons are just Feds that have ridged foreheads. They have an entirely different culture, one where infighting is common and practically encouraged.

That said, why wont the Foundry let me, a Klingon, make a map where I fight mobs of Klingons?
Lt. Commander
# 2
04-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by willriker09 View Post
So I was all excited to use the Foundry because it would finally let me make and play missions that felt like Klingon missions. Go back to TNG and DS9 and you will see that being a Klingon means butting heads (literally) with other Klingons. Their R&R is bar fights during the Klingon Civil War, Worf kills numerous Klingons that get in his way and the way of the Empire, etc etc etc. I feel like many who play this game think that Klingons are just Feds that have ridged foreheads. They have an entirely different culture, one where infighting is common and practically encouraged.

That said, why wont the Foundry let me, a Klingon, make a map where I fight mobs of Klingons?
Well, it can, you just need to use the recostuming feature. Not exact currently, but it's a step in the right direction. They'll release a way for this... eventually...
Lt. Commander
# 3
04-08-2011, 06:11 AM
I certainly hope they enable fights between same factions.
Orion battling for power within the syndicate, Klingon house wars and so on
Lt. Commander
# 4
04-08-2011, 07:37 AM
One minor gripe I have with the Foundry UI is that they have you place specific enemy faction and mob build for both combat and non-combat groups. There are two very long lists to choose from and it over complicates having same faction combat.

I think it would be better if we had the ability to simply place a group, then designate it friendly/unfriendly, select the number and rank of actors and then apply a costume to either the whole group or per actor.

It would really simplify putting "Actors" on the map while at the same time make that feature significantly more powerful.
Lt. Commander
# 5
04-08-2011, 11:36 PM
We really need to be able to set the faction of any NPC group we place. That would open up a lot more options. Right now with Federation, the only allies you can ever have are Feds. You can reskin them but they still use phasers and act like Starfleet ships/officers. If we could simply set the faction of any NPC group, in addition to reskinning them, then we'd have a lot more options available to customize the NPCs in our missions.
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
We really need to be able to set the faction of any NPC group we place. That would open up a lot more options. Right now with Federation, the only allies you can ever have are Feds. You can reskin them but they still use phasers and act like Starfleet ships/officers. If we could simply set the faction of any NPC group, in addition to reskinning them, then we'd have a lot more options available to customize the NPCs in our missions.
This problem has severely hampered my ability to really write out a compelling mission. Right now I'm adding a bit of "filler" plot while crossing my fingers for some goodness.

I mean, I can't even use 'neutral' ships to have my players tackle as Klingons.

Enemies should be enemies should be enemies. If I click on the 'Enemy' tab, I should get all factions, especially as a Klingon. I could see it being problematic from a Federation standpoint, as Federation ships should generally not be fighting Federation ships.

From a Klingon POV, however, it's extremely, extremely frustrating.
Lt. Commander
# 7
04-21-2011, 10:29 PM
I absolutely agree. Even for the Feds, a "mutiny" type scenario is not that unlikely - we've seen that in Star Trek before - be it through brainwashing or other circumstances. Well, thanks to placing mirror Feds, that's still possible (although incurring that annoying minimum level limit), but for Klingons, not being able to fight their own seems to really disallow a lot of possible scenarios - especially considering that the Klingons do have a very distinctive fighting style in STO and are hard to replace with other races.
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Sabredruid does this really well in Into the Hornet's nest. I'm not sure what he reskinned but it looked good to me.
Lt. Commander
# 9
04-23-2011, 10:13 PM
I was actually kind of surprised at how limited the Foundry was once you took a look at it. Klingons can't fight Klingons, Feds can't fight feds, many enemy groups impose a level limit, not all NPCs can be a quest giver, and the selectable NPC list isn't as extensive as it could be. Top it off with many useless animations(warp in, anyone?) and it's disappointing, but at least still usable. Hopefully they begin working to fix it soon.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-04-2011, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treksplorer
I was actually kind of surprised at how limited the Foundry was once you took a look at it. Klingons can't fight Klingons, Feds can't fight feds, many enemy groups impose a level limit, not all NPCs can be a quest giver, and the selectable NPC list isn't as extensive as it could be. Top it off with many useless animations(warp in, anyone?) and it's disappointing, but at least still usable. Hopefully they begin working to fix it soon.
Enemy groups fight each other... See my "Seemingly Stupid AI" thread about a hallways with a pack of Targs and a squad of klingons. They apparently don't know they're on the same team and when I get to them I find them fighting and half the targs are either severely wounded or dead. SERIOUSLY??

Yes, there need to be better control over "friendly," "enemy" and "neutral" likewise, "Defensive," "Aggressive, "Passive."

Better abstraction on this would, I think make for a more robust game and more robust content creation. We should be able to relatively arbitrarily specify teams / groups of characters (allies or enemies) and how they interact with each other and with the player.