Lt. Commander
Space combat now has at least three loot sets with set bonuses: Borg, Aegis, and Breen, with perhaps more sets on the way for the other and future Featured series.

Cryptic, please come out with a ground combat loot set. Many STO players actually enjoy and even prefer ground combat over space combat.

And Cryptic, you are also revamping ground combat anyhow.

So here are some suggestions:

1. The loot set will include a personal shield, armor, and a personal weapon, each of which is obtained from one mission in a set or series of missions, such as any that include ground combat, perhaps include Emancipation in Zaria in the Orellius Sector, although that is limited to LT10+.

With the way Cryptic has designed existing loot sets, there is always some balance ... a good ability is given with a less good other aspect, such as regenerative or resilient ship shields which many players like, although others do not. So the ground equipment should be similar ... a good or uber aspect with some tradeoff in another area.

The personal shield could have high regeneration rate but low cap.

The armor could be recoil armor or physical augmentation armor with a high knockback or reverse damage upon taking damage, but also have low energy and physical resisitence.

And the personal weapon could be an assault weapon with high first mode damage, but a slow second mode similar to the Breen CRM 200 assault weapon.

2. How about providing the ground loot set from the new remastered missions? Stranded in Space at the S.S. Azura, Diplomatic Orders at P'Jem, and the Doomsday Device, each of which has ground combat as well as a space component, although the Doomsday Device mission is only available currently for Lt. Commanders.

There are plenty of other LT missions with ground combat, such as Starbase 24, which could be used for obtaining one component of the proposed ground loot set.

3. The set bonus will be a univeral kit, which can be used for all fields, such as a kit that has each of a heal power such as triage, a turret power, and a security team power.

I am sure that many players would LOVE to have such a universal kit.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Very good idea. As we already have 3 full AlienSets out there, I think its high time to see some ground sets introduced.

I'd luv to see a borg set to go along with my sci's borg kit. Perhaps a set that resists holds against borg better. i get soooo tired of getting held by the borg.

an "aegis" set may be cool also. heh. high shield cap, but low regen. perhaps also high resistance to energy damage, but low kinetic damage resist.

As far as a universal kit, that would need work... reason for this is because as of now, cryptic wont let us max out our captains' skill trees (sadly) so we would be spread very thin if trying to be effective in every area. plus each career is locked out of other career skills. for example, Tacs are the only ones who can upgrade their ground weapon dps. engs and scis cant, even if they want to.

as of now, I dont see a universal kit working. in the future when Fleet Admiral comes out tho, hopefully we will have ships with more than just a commander eng or so... I'd luv to see a ship with at least a LtC in all 3 careers, and also a Captain Boff slot for the primary career
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Similar idea, somewhat different slant:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...88#post3444988
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-06-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm always game for a ground set. I'd love to see it.

Something tells me that if we do end up seeing them, it will be well into Season 4 and beyond due to the big changes in ground combat due to arrive.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrayl View Post
I'm always game for a ground set. I'd love to see it.

Something tells me that if we do end up seeing them, it will be well into Season 4 and beyond due to the big changes in ground combat due to arrive.
Ditto. I suspect they will do ground based sets eventually though.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-07-2011, 06:08 AM
By all means a ground set would be awesome. I do hope to see it soon. Would actually rather see that then this new breen space set.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrik1ace View Post
By all means a ground set would be awesome. I do hope to see it soon. Would actually rather see that then this new breen space set.
Nah, the Breen set's a welcome addition.

There's no reason we can't have our sets and eat them too.(?!)
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Yes.

But...

Ship sets make a certain amount of sense due to synergistic engineering. I think it's a little easier to 'get' how this piece X plus this piece Y gives you bonus Z. And ships have more distinct non-weapon 'systems' available to use for building sets: shields, engines, deflectors, devices, and consoles.

On the ground, we really only have shields, armor, devices, and kits to work with. I have doubts whether weapons will be introduced into sets or not. The kits are all class-specific, so it's less likely that they will be used as the basis for a set... to be fair, kit-based sets would have to be released in threes. So it is probable that ground sets would consist of shields, armor, and devices and logically would result primarily in defensive, not offensive, sets.

Still, I would also like to see kit and weapon based ground sets eventually. I'd also like to see good "theme" ground sets. Maybe something like a "Scion of the Empire" set for KDF that includes Armor, Shields, and a Bat'leth and gives bonuses like +ThreatGen, +Crit, +Exploit or something. For the other side, a MACO set for Federation (Armor, Shields, TR-116) that gives similar bonuses. That kind of thing.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-12-2011, 07:57 PM
I think that a Armor/Shield/Personal Device would be the best way to go.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Not against the idea, just don't think it should happen until after post 4.0 rebalance ie release 4.0 season, balance after player input, then add sets.