Lt. Commander
# 411
05-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Its a great looking ship, congratulations to the winners. It's just not an Enterprise to me tho. Who knows, it might win me over in time.
EDIT: but I doubt it
Lt. Commander
# 412 ?
05-06-2011, 10:49 AM
I have to admit that this ship was a wrong choice for the new enterprise due to the fact the ship they choose is more in line with a science vessel than the flag ship of the fleet for the time period, Please cryptic try n get back in touch with the fans of startrek n not ya walletts cuz i can say this for certain not many will buy or even fly this ship u choose for reasons that there was MANY better desighn's to choose from which u completely ignored.
Lt. Commander
# 413
05-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWyndre
So wait ... the design was so bad that your team spent loads of effort talking about all the changes they would have to make in order for it to work ... and that is why you chose it?
They were looking for a design, a concept to spring off of.

I don't think any ship they'd chosen was going to be adapted 100%. That's not really what a design is for.
Lt. Commander
# 414
05-06-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm personally delighted by the winning entry.

Looking at the ship's profile, there's a clear design lineage here, and the result is a ship that's part-Galaxy and part-Sovereign in its profile. The neck design adds something new and intriguing to what can often be an insert-saucer-A-onto-engineering-hull-B layout ethos. I'm especially fond of the deflector - big, bold and in some ways reminding me of the Intrepid-class.

It's not a ship that wows me with its swooshiness or looks like a space hot rod. It oozes class and workmanship. It has a certain look of immensity and grace to it, and I can see in it the sort of robust, rugged yet elegant presence that the flagship of the Federation needs. To me it screams, "I am the Enterprise and I'm full of awesome."

Obviously I'm in the minority, but what the heck, pass me the Kool-Aid.
Lt. Commander
# 415
05-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetOfHats View Post
I'm personally delighted by the winning entry.

Looking at the ship's profile, there's a clear design lineage here, and the result is a ship that's part-Galaxy and part-Sovereign in its profile. The neck design adds something new and intriguing to what can often be an insert-saucer-A-onto-engineering-hull-B layout ethos. I'm especially fond of the deflector - big, bold and in some ways reminding me of the Intrepid-class.

It's not a ship that wows me with its swooshiness or looks like a space hot rod. It oozes class and workmanship. It has a certain look of immensity and grace to it, and I can see in it the sort of robust, rugged yet elegant presence that the flagship of the Federation needs. To me it screams, "I am the Enterprise and I'm full of awesome."

Obviously I'm in the minority, but what the heck, pass me the Kool-Aid.
Well said here. I appreciate class and workmanship far more than any other aspect. I do not care of the constant hot rod direction we seem to have for the Enterprise. Give us some character and some presence. Many of the Sovereign inspired ships are too waifish.

I am glad to see some alternative design queues being considered (notably the neck). I hope to see more innovations in Star Trek in the future.
Lt. Commander
# 416
05-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galtrovan View Post
I don't know what picture you and Tiberion1701 are looking at, but the winning entry definitely has a neck connecting the saucer to the engineering hull. Due to the prominent wing supports, I can understand how the neck could be overlooked, but there is definitely a neck. I'm sure if you go look at the winning entry again you'll see that the saucer is connected to the engineering section by a neck and two wings.
I'm looking at the winning sketch and then the 3d models from Trek BBS that the winner said was "real close" to his intentions.

Here's the Link with the images and what he said.

2 Pylons and NO NECK - just like the Oberth.

It looks cool, but from a functional standpoint its really bad. If you were on the bridge and needed to go anywhere in the core of the engineering hull (like to the cargobay I assume will be back there) you'd have to travel out and down through the curved pylons.

It would be like having to use a giant waterslide to go up and down a skyscraper, instead of an elevator at the building's core. It just doesn't work.

We've overlooked it for the Oberth because its TINY and frankly pretty insignificant in the overall scheme of things, but this ship is MASSIVE and having such a design flaw is a non-starter.
Lt. Commander
# 417
05-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Richardson View Post
NO! We don't want that flimsy neck! That's the single worst thing there!
Please keep "us" out of your secular comments. I'm pretty sure "we" (those of us that either like or dislike the final design) can speak for "ourselves." Thanks in advance.
Lt. Commander
# 418
05-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701

2 Pylons and NO NECK - just like the Oberth.
Yep, there's no neck there. Just the chin strap.
Lt. Commander
# 419
05-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnlang
Well said here. I appreciate class and workmanship far more than any other aspect. I do not care of the constant hot rod direction we seem to have for the Enterprise. Give us some character and some presence. Many of the Sovereign inspired ships are too waifish.

I am glad to see some alternative design queues being considered (notably the neck). I hope to see more innovations in Star Trek in the future.
Design lineage? If you mean taking one step forward and three steps back, that places this design into the actual "lineage".
Lt. Commander
# 420
05-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberion1701
We've overlooked it for the Oberth because its TINY and frankly pretty insignificant in the overall scheme of things, but this ship is MASSIVE and having such a design flaw is a non-starter.
Well, honestly speaking, the dual necks makes MORE sense in a massive ship, as there the pylons can reasonably be expected to be wide enough to hold an elevator shaft. The reason the Oberth's design doesn't make sense is the pylons AREN'T wide enough unless the ship itself is about 300m long.

I admit it's silly to run an elevator all the way from the saucer to the bottom of the secondary hull to get from one section to the other, but that is likely one of the things the devs are working on. Like, perhaps they will make the pylons simply "protrude" from the secondary hull to show that graceful arc to the bottom, but actually meet it at the top.

I mean, honestly, if you're talking about whether it's horrible and disgusting to have two necks side by side instead of one, that's just going too far. Two necks would provide twice the amount of space for elevator shafts, and one could continue to be used if the other was cut off for some reason.

My advice to the devs is to give Fuzzy's submission the "Player's Choice" award. I know no such prize was intended to be given, but why not simply add it to the winner's list after the fact? I personally think it is a unique design (particularly the final version) but no more consistent with Trek canon with its nacelle strut/secondary hull extension than the winner is with its dual necks. In fact, BOTH designs have in common that they're trying to come up with a distinctive way to join the hull and saucer.
Closed Thread