Lt. Commander
# 481
05-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowwulfe View Post
no it would not....View the video star trek evolutions where the star trek concept designer talks about the evolution of his work.
So you are saying we should be mothballing the majority of the most popular ships in game then? ,,,, excel, Galaxy, Galaxy X, and many more?
Lt. Commander
# 482 reply
05-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonseye View Post
So you are saying we should be mothballing the majority of the most popular ships in game then? ,,,, excel, Galaxy, Galaxy X, and many more?
Technically, yes the heavier neck design was intended to be more battle worthy and survivable. The winner here with its pylons presents an easy target to a foe to lethally cripple this ship. one intentionally aimed shot with a quantum torpedo and you have structurally compromised that strut holding the saucer on. At that point forget warp or even high impulse. The stress will tear that saucer right off. Im sorry to say but there is no denying that. Any enemy tactical officer worth half his pay would lock their weapons right on that neck pylon.
Lt. Commander
# 483
05-06-2011, 03:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovF0eHAuaZ0 watch how the necks get fatter and smaller as the ships get bigger
Lt. Commander
# 484
05-06-2011, 03:29 PM
http://www.dan-dare.org/FreeFun/Imag...81600x1200.jpg look at all the ships here.. look at their necks and how beefy they are or how they do not exist after TOS and TNG most have no necks.
Lt. Commander
# 485
05-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Congrats to the winner! Awesome job getting to the top spot!

I think the perfect (and most ironic) class designation for this ship would be the "Unity Class"

Will the ship have customization options in the ship tailor? That would allow people who aren't thrilled with the design (including yours truly) to spice it up to their tastes!
Lt. Commander
# 486
05-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Good job to all who made submissions. I like the new design, can't wait to see it in game
Lt. Commander
# 487 Design flaw
05-06-2011, 03:57 PM
First off congratulations to the winner.....again I think you have great artistic skill. Your attempt was to try to be innovative with your design and I applaud that. However from a Military perspective there is no way this ship would have any tactical value, with a structural liability like that. Those pylons for a ship that big and a saucer that large and heavy...would simply never hold. The first time this thing hit a gravitational field or any kind of sheering effect from traveling through a nebula and the pylons are likely to fail. There is simply not enough holding that big saucer onto that engineering section. Not to mention in combat as i stated before....any tactical officer with even the slightest degree of competency would go right after those pylons holding the saucer on. Severely damaging one of them would completely cripple the entire design. It would not be able to move anymore without totally sheering off the saucer. In combat that is fatal. This is a great non combat design, but looking at a federation facing a multiple front war. This design would never hold up and would never clear the rigorous design process a military would require this design to handle. As such this design would have to be substantially superior in both weapons, and endurance then that of the Sovereign design. Structurally this ship does not have that ability.
Lt. Commander
# 488
05-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnium
First off congratulations to the winner.....again I think you have great artistic skill. Your attempt was to try to be innovative with your design and I applaud that. However from a Military perspective there is no way this ship would have any tactical value, with a structural liability like that. Those pylons for a ship that big and a saucer that large and heavy...would simply never hold. The first time this thing hit a gravitational field or any kind of sheering effect from traveling through a nebula and the pylons are likely to fail. There is simply not enough holding that big saucer onto that engineering section. Not to mention in combat as i stated before....any tactical officer with even the slightest degree of competency would go right after those pylons holding the saucer on. Severely damaging one of them would completely cripple the entire design. It would not be able to move anymore without totally sheering off the saucer. In combat that is fatal. This is a great non combat design, but looking at a federation facing a multiple front war. This design would never hold up and would never clear the rigorous design process a military would require this design to handle. As such this design would have to be substantially superior in both weapons, and endurance then that of the Sovereign design. Structurally this ship does not have that ability.
To be honest, I always felt ALL Starfleet ships were tactically unsound as it is. The neck alone (in any design WITH a neck) is problematic, the thin edge of the saucer is just asking to be blasted through with a torpedo (oh, wait, it WAS! c.f. STVI), and the nacelle pylons are filled with vulnerable conduits. The neck issue isn't as present in the wrestler-necked Excelsior but the fantail is so thin as to be waiting for a shot that weakens structural integrity (and look where those nacelles are mounted....) Sovereign doesn't have the neck problem and is quite the battlewagon, except for the nacelles and the (relatively) thin saucer. The most 'tactically sound' Starfleet designs I've seen in Trek so far is Defiant. Hmmm....

So clearly Starfleet relies more on shields for defense, which is reflected in the game. If the shields go down, the ship -- any ship -- is in severe trouble. Structural concerns don't seem to be high on the list of Starfleet priorities.
Lt. Commander
# 489
05-06-2011, 04:34 PM
I've not read the entire topic, but I've seen a lot of comments talking about how that 'neck' area is a weakpoint.

I bring this to your attention, the warp nacelle pylons on pretty up every single starfleet ship? They are the exact same way, a 'structural weakpoint' which could disable the ship due to loss of the warp nacelles.

Anyway, congrats to the winner, and that 'Fuzzy' design one? Interesting and would like to see it ingame, but I don't see it as 'the next enterprise'.
Lt. Commander
# 490
05-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
So while I can't stop the internet from debating Star Trek, I can give my insider opinion and say that I'm very comfortable with the winning design and I think the final ship render that we are designing with CBS is going to knock your socks off.
I'll have to take your word for it. I'm really hesitant to start clapping though.
Closed Thread