Lt. Commander
# 41
05-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor_Forthright View Post
The winner isn't very appealing at all, it looks like a Sovereign and a Century had a love child. The second place looks like a beefed up stretched out Excalibur, the third and fourth, i'm incredibly unfond of the third the fourth is fine. That Fuzzy's design isn't even MENTIONED is an insult to anybody in this contest. He got the popular vote and he got highest rated. Clearly this contest used ballet equipment used in Florida a decade ago.
It was stated multiple times that the voting and rating system were not measures for who would win, that in theory the judges would be looking at all entries and deciding for themselves. Even then the judging was stated to go through a few rounds of getting the choices down smaller and smaller. For all we know Fuzzy's design made it to the top 26 but just couldn't crack it any higher in the judges' minds. For all we know with all the other sites Fuzzy's design was posted to and the YouTube video and such the judges decided that it violated some term of the contest and had to throw it out.

Quite frankly I don't find it an insult, in fact if anything I was insulted that design got the highest voting because of all the campaigning done for it. I'm much happier with designs being selected on their own merits as opposed to marketing efforts, kind of how we all wish politics actually worked.
Lt. Commander
# 42
05-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonseye View Post
Agreed .... A finished model always looks different than the pen and ink drawings. --- more detail ... 3-D, etc.
And CapnLogan makes magic. No matter what one might think of the winner, it's certain that the Capn will make it great.
Lt. Commander
# 43
I'm going to reserve my judgment of the design until I see it's game model until then congratulations to Adam for the winning design
Lt. Commander
# 44
Congrats but I'm not loving it. The neck reminds me too much of the pylons for the Oberth and the silhouette looks like a cross between the Sovereign and the Galaxy. I can't see how this ship brings the progression any closer to the "J". If anything it looks like a step backwards in design style. IMO the fourth place winner would have made a far better choice.
Lt. Commander
# 45
05-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Sorry, but I don't see how this design won. Third place winner looks better imo.
Lt. Commander
# 46
05-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilv View Post
Congrats but I'm not loving it. The neck reminds me too much of the pylons for the Oberth and the silhouette looks like a cross between the Sovereign and the Galaxy. I can't see how this ship brings the progression any closer to the "J". If anything it looks like a step backwards in design style. IMO the fourth place winner would have made a far better choice.
Personallly, an design that moves away from the 'J' is automatically a winner in my book...

But, that's just my opinion. =) Some folks love the J, I'm not fond of it, but that's just me. Folks are entitled to their opinions.
Lt. Commander
# 47 Congratuations
05-05-2011, 04:38 PM
http://www.startrekonline.com/enterp...lery?share=869
I thought this had the best design, as it looked one of the most 'streamlined' designed ships out of the whole contest, with a bit of thought behind it!:p

Congratuations to Adam Ihle on winning!
To be honest i don't like the design it looks as though you've combined the Galaxy with the Sovereign's Warp Nacelles. Whilst putting on the Obeth's Turbolift shaft's on for no apparent reason!!!

Although i don't like it, congratuations all the same!!!
Lt. Commander
# 48
05-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Question for DStahl or Devs .... Will we possibly be seeing some of the other designs also in game at some point?

Especially this one .... http://www.startrekonline.com/enterp...lery?share=869

Give it the turn rate of an Excel (the modern level of it) ... OH YEAH!
Lt. Commander
# 49
05-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Well, the design itself isn't that bad, although I don't like those pylons either. Kind of a goofy eyesore almost. Take that and thicken the neck in the middle a little and make the engineering section a bit smaller and it'd work. I hope they're not the only way of accessing the engineering section. That's one of the big problems with the Oberth-class is that awkward configuration.

Maybe the folks at Cryptic will refine it some, kind of like how a "concept car" gets refined to more conservative styling. I mean, if they could make the engineering section a tad thinner and get rid of those silly strut connections on port and starboard, then I could live with it.

I would have gone for Josheua Samuelson's design myself. It's a shame too. You know he also has an incomplete JJprise refit which I have to say is drop-dead gorgeous.
Lt. Commander
# 50
05-05-2011, 04:40 PM
While iam not all the thrilled with the design as so many others aren't, i would have welcomed a far better contest which allowed the user to simply create assets for STO instead of focusing yet again on an area that doesn't need the attention, the game in general needs attention.
Closed Thread