Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 501
05-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Just my personal opinion, the model for the Enterprise F is the most awful thing I have ever seen.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 502
05-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
The reason you think they look alike is they are both at similar angles in those pics. However, if you take a look at the 3D model of the winning ship, you can see it really looks nothing like the Ambassador:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.ph...84#post4942684

Do they look alike from that specific angle? Kind of. But thats where it stops.
Yeah, it looks more like the Oberth had a wild date with a potato.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 503 I like it.
05-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
The reason you think they look alike is they are both at similar angles in those pics. However, if you take a look at the 3D model of the winning ship, you can see it really looks nothing like the Ambassador:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.ph...84#post4942684

Do they look alike from that specific angle? Kind of. But thats where it stops.
Thanks for posting this TGN. I really couldn't judge the Winner from the picture Cryptic posted. Seeing these 3D mock-ups is great.

And to be honest? I like it! And that's just those flat grey shapes. I bet it's going to be glorious when Cryptic is done with it.

Well done again to Adam Ihle!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 504
05-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
The reason you think they look alike is they are both at similar angles in those pics. However, if you take a look at the 3D model of the winning ship, you can see it really looks nothing like the Ambassador:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.ph...84#post4942684

Do they look alike from that specific angle? Kind of. But thats where it stops.
1) I was comparing the only two Official examples of the two crafts.

2) If you look at this

Ambassador Class Variant

It looks very, very similar. I'm not saying there aren't differences but imo, it looks far too much like a distortion.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 505
05-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
1) I was comparing the only two Official examples of the two crafts.

2) If you look at this

Ambassador Class Variant

It looks very, very similar. I'm not saying there aren't differences but imo, it looks far too much like a distortion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Dont forget that in the official picture of the winner there is a side profile pic below the main pic. That pic is clearly very different even from your pic above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
I disagree.

The angled appearance and the side shot are very similar.

The nacelles are raised and the deflector sticks out more, hardly very different imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Thats your opinion and your entitled to it. Cryptic and CBS obviously disagreed, as CBS would be well aware of its own concept art.
............................
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 506
05-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Not necessarily, a single piece of obscure concept art could very easily escaped notice.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 507
05-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
Not necessarily, a single piece of obscure concept art could very easily escaped notice.
Unless you have some inside source at CBS you have asbolutely no idea what they consider obscure.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 508
05-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Unless you have some inside source at CBS you have asbolutely no idea what they consider obscure.
Unless you have an inside source at CBS, you have no idea that they even saw that concept art.

Argument can be applied both ways.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 509
05-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
Unless you have an inside source at CBS, you have no idea that they even saw that concept art.
LOL what? Do you even realize the pic your talking about was drawn by one of their artists, and was used as the basis for the actual model in the show?

Quote:
The studio model was designed by Rick Sternbach, based on sketches as well as on a design concept painting produced by Andrew Probert for the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation.
You might want to read up on this so you can actually understand what your talking about:

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Ambassador_class#Design

And if you click on that pic to enlarge you can see it was published in Star Trek Magazine.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 510
05-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.William2 View Post
1) I was comparing the only two Official examples of the two crafts.

2) If you look at this

Ambassador Class Variant

It looks very, very similar. I'm not saying there aren't differences but imo, it looks far too much like a distortion.
Problem is, there's only so much variation that can be applied to the standard cruiser configuration - it's all in the details. When you start making ships to fit within a specific design generation, it's even less distinct.

That said, the rough 3-d model, compared to that particular 3-d build of the Ambassador concept, does make me feel that this ship belongs more in the proto-Galaxy era than as a Sovereign successor.

Wheras the Madden design that is an obvious throwback to the Constitution profile uses lines and detail elements that feel more like the Sovereign and post-Sovereign AC skins, along with elements resmbling other modern STO vessels. And yes, I liked that one the best.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52 AM.