Lt. Commander
# 531 Mixed Feelings
05-07-2011, 06:02 AM
Congrats to the Winner & Runner-Ups !!! To be honest, I liked all the designs for one reason or another. I'm very excited to see the final design & 3D model of the winner ingame, & possibly additional fanmade designs ingame. But two things leave me a bit confused.

1) To some of the posters ... why are you trying to speak for the fanbase of Star Trek as a whole? I find it disturbing you're turning your own personal feelings & making them out to be as if EVERY fan shares your view. I assure you, not every fan does. I've been a fan of Star Trek for a very long time (back in the days of TOS before TNG was ever thought of). To make statements implying a boycott, although it is your right, just sounds far too petty & immature.

2) To the Devs ... the angry posters do have a valid point. What of the fanmade designs that were very popular among the players & fans? I understand there were certain aspects you & CBS were looking for, but I find it strange you didn't take the opinions of your fanbase into consideration. At the very least, certain designs that are spoken highly of among the fans should at least be considered for ingame content. I do believe an answer to this is warranted. I'd also like to add that CBS getting more involved with STO makes me a little nervous, yet hope to think we (as players & fans) can finally see more canon characters & ships ingame in the future.

Again, Congradulations to the Winner & the Runner-Ups. I also want to personally say thank you to everyone that took the time & made the effort into making submissions, as I enjoyed seeing your visions of the Enterprise-F as well .

Note: If my question has already been addressed, then I apologize & disregard my post.
Lt. Commander
# 532
05-07-2011, 06:15 AM
I'm still going to withhold judgement as I see the possibilities of the design.

I do have two concerns that I'll be interested to see how the pan out.

1) The issue of if one pylon is taken out, the saucer is made unstable ... but then we had necks for years as well as still have the nacelle pylons.

2) She is large ... and the "smaller" Galaxy already has a slow turn rate.

Suggestion on the latter ... Distorted Kinetics ... Give it a new impulse drive that reduces the mass of the starship so she has a better turn rate.

A count could be that it doesn't work as well around a gravity well.
Lt. Commander
# 533
05-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Meh, I don't like it. But then again it's very hard to tell what the 3D result will be from looking at a black and white drawing. I hope the designers deliver the goods.

Personally though I'd be miffed if I'd spent all that time making an amazing-looking full-colour masterpiece only to be beaten by what Cryptic have decided is the winner!
Lt. Commander
# 534
05-07-2011, 06:34 AM
I don't understand why these ships keep getting bigger. What purpose does increasing the size serve? The Galaxy class at least had the excuse of needing room for all those diaper changing stations.

Remember back in the good old days when the good old NCC-1701 encountered the Fesarius? Wasn't that dramatic - that big old alien ship, great great grandaddy of the Death Star, swooping out of space like a gargantuan bowling ball studded with lighted ping pong balls, dwarfing our beloved Enterprise!

"Oh, <bleep!>"

The way we're heading, the Enterprise is soon going to BE the freakin' Fesarius. Where's the drama in that?
Lt. Commander
# 535
05-07-2011, 06:35 AM
I just hope Data is the Captain
Lt. Commander
# 536
05-07-2011, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Mayhem
I don't understand why these ships keep getting bigger. What purpose does increasing the size serve? The Galaxy class at least had the excuse of needing room for all those diaper changing stations.

Remember back in the good old days when the good old NCC-1701 encountered the Fesarius? Wasn't that dramatic - that big old alien ship, great great grandaddy of the Death Star, swooping out of space like a gargantuan bowling ball studded with lighted ping pong balls, dwarfing our beloved Enterprise!

"Oh, <bleep!>"

The way we're heading, the Enterprise is soon going to BE the freakin' Fesarius. Where's the drama in that?

As was mentioned already, the Federation is in a time of war. There's the true way, whih has help from the Jem'hadar, the Klingons, the Romulans, the Borg, The Undine, and probably the Iconians soon.

Bigger has many benefits; it's physically intimidating. It has more room to install weapons platforms. It has more surface area to absorb impacts from weapons, and more hull to damage if the enemies want to take it out.

I agree, something equal or slightly smaller than the D or E would work, but bigger, in this case, is better.
Lt. Commander
# 537
05-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Quote:

"Oh, <bleep!>"

There will always be a new Fresarius, Borg Cube, Husnock Warship, Jem Haddar Dreadnought, V'ger.
I think the size of a ship is one of many things that shows us how advanced this ship is, i remember when i first saw the Enterprise D (many, many moons ago ), i was really impressed how advanced that ship appeared, everything seemed to be elegant and technicaly superior to everything i have ever seen to that point, they even had families on board!
Later of course, that impression vanished when things got trivialized and became more militant, like the introducion of more Military based ships like the defiant, or the Sovereign.
(Things that i thought the Federation just didn't need or require)

Writers always can create Bigger, badder enemies, thats not the point.

Live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 538
05-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Just an update on the poll. I posted it on several Trek related sites today:

1) here(obviously)

2) startrek.com forums

3) Trekmovie.com article about the contest

4) Star Trek Infinite Space forum(general Trek discussion)

People have also been sharing this poll with their friends and fleet mates in game who do not use the forums.

Her are the results for anyone interested:

http://polldaddy.com/poll/5022933/

Personally(as I said in an earlier post) I think the design is pretty good, although I would like to see the nacelles made a little larger. But at least this gives a little numerical feedback rather than reading debates.
The poll has now gotten over 300 votes. Not bad considering it was only posted yesterday
Lt. Commander
# 539
05-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Quote:
I have often asked this question as I'm of the mindset that as technology gets better, smaller ships can have more punch, power, and other such ... putting bigger ships in their place at a fraction of the construction cost.
Lt. Commander
# 540
05-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Well, the Klingons have some massive carrier ships. Maybe it's time for the federation to get their own?
Closed Thread