Lt. Commander
# 21
05-07-2011, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredZero View Post
The reason for switching to the newer servers was because these new servers were hardened against cybernetic attacks. If you had read the news, you'd have known that. Just like how you'd know that Sony's going to be offering one year of ID theft services free.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...-for-one-year/

EDIT: Link to story about moving servers: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...g-hardware.ars
No, I'm fully aware of the facts here. But being that I know about programming and have experience beta testing, presenting something new to the equation doesn't solve the problem. Every time you change the equation, the problem has to be re-evaluated.

I'm telling you that switching to new servers isn't going to do anything.

Your statements are obvious assumptions and doesn't really point out asignificantignicant.

I've been a subscriber of sony online games since the vbeginningning, I know the company very well. I have a long history of watching them patch stuff and switch to new servers after repeated requests to fix things.

Stuff like this is the reason why I won't play any online games from Sony anymore.

And what idiot would use their ID Theft services, if they can't even mange their customer information responsibly in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-07-2011, 01:38 AM
Of course they don't point out anything significant - the whole Sony issue's been discussed to death, and it doesn't matter what people try to do - determined hackers will manage regardless.

Seriously.

Not to mention this isn't the first time the Sony issue has been talked about on the forums.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-07-2011, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
Uh, no.

Bungie.net was hacked, and some people had their Live information entered into said website.

Do people have their Live accounts stolen? Sure, but mostly due to social engineering and the general stupidity of the public. The security of Live itself has never been compromised.
It was all over Recon Armor. I think in the end ultimately one person lost their account to someone wanting the profoundly ugly gear.

You want to see a company that gets nailed a lot, try Comcast. They try so hard to hide it, but it's weekly with them.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by President_Shinzon View Post
It was all over Recon Armor. I think in the end ultimately one person lost their account to someone wanting the profoundly ugly gear.

You want to see a company that gets nailed a lot, try Comcast. They try so hard to hide it, but it's weekly with them.
Hillarious. LOL
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonrebel
And what idiot would use their ID Theft services, if they can't even mange their customer information responsibly in the first place.
It's not Sony's service, it's third party... though as of Friday Sony was not going to be providing ID theft insurance, only credit monitoring and protection. Anyone who actually loses money will not be reimbursed. Most of these services range from things you can do yourself to nothing at all unless you pony up extra for the insurance.

Also, Sony's shiny new servers were breached already. Only thing there was some old archive of 2001 sweepstakes entries, a few thousand addresses that were probably in the 77 million from last month anyway, but the important thing is: this is Sony's "new" servers. Sony was warned last week that it's hardened servers were worthless, the vulnerability is in their old security scheme that was broken years ago and hasn't been supported by the developer in almost a decade, and which they planned to keep using.

Now they're out a lot of money and will hopefully be going back to square one with a solution that would have saved them most of what they've paid to date. Their blog is talking like another week of downtime, but they've stepped up the offer: It's now 2 PS3 games and 2 PSP games of the user's choice, not Sony's (though Sony gets to shortlist the four games you can pick from).