Lt. Commander
# 21
05-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philoso_Raptor
Thats the thing though; I dont think the complaint should go to you. You guys have the right to say whatever you want. I think the complaint should go to Cryptic/Atari for promoting a site that encourages offensive behavior. I'm not against free speech. But Cryptic should be aware of what its promoting, and so should Atari.
I agree. I'm going to both of their sites to send an email about this situation.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Star Trek is about and equality and respect for one another, I ask that Subspace Radio make that their new Prime Directive.
Their are minors listening to these pod casts and the content needs to be considered for "Teens" as this is the rating for this title. Consider Star Trek and its characters possible role models to young people, should we not then consider what is being said when talking about or including the Star Trek Universe or speaking to its impressionable audience? I would ask Cryptic to also consider fore mentioned statement as a policy for endorsement.

I do not think political correctness is the issue, it maybe responsibility and professional ethics. Consider that you audience may not be all adults and set an example like Star Trek does. I would advise editing your show for the best and most effective message to your audience.

Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-06-2011, 11:49 PM
I actually ask they get rid of the "the voice of star trek online" little catch phrase. Those people and what they say with their voice certainly don't represent me nor should they be allowed to represent star trek online in such an arrogant and pretentious and offensive way. Yeah we're all people and I like to have fun like anyone else but at leastwhen doing more public things like dev interviews, be a little more Damn professional and mature.

I think it is aboit time star trek online gets a "voice" that represents it better. I will also be mailing cryptic and Atari because bringing complaints to ssr won't do anything.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-07-2011, 12:20 AM
What people don't seem to realize is that SSR is volunteer and donation based. They don't get paid do do what they do and they are not are not your typical professional DJs, they ARE just players like everyone else. If anyone here bashing them actually listened to any of the shows on there would know that parental advisories are played rather frequently and more of the adult oriented shows are on later in the evenings. Just like TV for the most part. Funny how that works. Yet no one bashes the people who run those shows.

And to those who are going to send emails to those whos voices are played on that station..really? Nitpick some more. First off, Tim Russ had an interview with SSR and he allowed them to use his voice, along with some Devs. There are others from Star Trek, but I will not mention them because they don't need kids harassing them with emails about their voices being used with their permission. I'm getting the impression that those bashing SSR are people from other stations and are jealous of the success SSR has been enjoying. Haters gonna hate.

Great job SSR. Keep up the good work.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-07-2011, 12:47 AM
When I saw this linked on the STO Homepage, I thought it was going to be like Hailing Frequency or STOked where you guys were reviewing some popular Foundry missions with Zero. Instead, it was far from it.

No offense, but I really hope the Cryptic staff doesn't link to such non-informative stuff ever again. When we see Links on the Homepage, we expect information and fun news, not us listening to others play the game. :p
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by science_officer_brooks View Post
I actually ask they get rid of the "the voice of star trek online" little catch phrase. Those people and what they say with their voice certainly don't represent me nor should they be allowed to represent star trek online in such an arrogant and pretentious and offensive way. Yeah we're all people and I like to have fun like anyone else but at leastwhen doing more public things like dev interviews, be a little more Damn professional and mature.

I think it is aboit time star trek online gets a "voice" that represents it better. I will also be mailing cryptic and Atari because bringing complaints to ssr won't do anything.
I'm going to assume you haven't listened to any of SSR's dev interviews, because they have been nothing but professional. Feel free to cite an example where a dev interview at SSR was anything but professional to back up your claim.

The great thing about any MMO is that there is never one single, unified voice. Everyone has different opinions. Everyone has different beliefs. I'm also going to cite that SSR has player discussions (called round table discussions) on a public ventrilo server that is broadcasted live on the air. These discussions take place in a very calm and controlled manner, despite there being a variety of opinions stated. The SSR staff goes to lengths to involve the players as often as possible in discussions regarding the game.

In the most literal sense, you're right... they are not "the" voice for Star Trek Online. Because such a thing does not exist. But the SSR staff are volunteers. All donations go towards operating costs, and not into anyone's pocket. The SSR staff play the game, the SSR community runs STFs, and revels in this MMO we all play.

At the same time, you are not Star Trek Online. You are one voice of thousands. In this case, you do not like what has happened, and that's perfectly okay.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-07-2011, 01:19 AM
I have been a supporter and listener for about a year almost. You claim SSR is "promoting" hate/anti gay/etc?
Hm let's break down the definition then.

pro·mote (pr-mt)
tr.v. pro·mot·ed, pro·mot·ing, pro·motes
a. To raise to a more important or responsible job or rank.
b. To advance (a student) to the next higher grade.
2. To contribute to the progress or growth of; further. See Synonyms at advance.
3. To urge the adoption of; advocate: promote a constitutional amendment.
4. To attempt to sell or popularize by advertising or publicity: commercials promoting a new product.
5. To help establish or organize (a new enterprise), as by securing financial backing: promote a Broadway show.

No 2 is only true if it works. Only time will tell. Seems you guys are on this site "promoting" mis-information.
No 4? They would have to do a LOT better than that to market it.

Anyone watch Ellen? You think people accuse her of "promoting" lesbians? She makes no apologies for who she is, but her show is hardly "about that".

I can see people randomly tuning in being taken off guard but they do air a disclaimer before the show airs about mature content. If you tuned in late, that is not their fault.

I just think people are overreacting a teeny bit here.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-07-2011, 01:55 AM
There's your misconception because I really have tried to give it a chance and im still not seeing this professionalism that you're talking about. And ssr is any more special than red shirt army, stoked, priority one, trek radio, etc why? No I'm not star trek online, I never said I was so don't ever make it seem like I was in any way implying that. I'm also not the only one who is offended by their jokes towards my particular orientation. I dont hear them making straight jokes, unless I've been listening.to the wrong episodes. I'm not the only one who doesn't agree with them being promoted as the sum representation of all of star trek online either as "the voice of star trek online". That's all that bothers me. It's my own personal opinion, just like yours is that you like them. Mine just happens to be the opposite of yours.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-07-2011, 02:13 AM
I'm sure this thread will get locked down by monday, i respect people's sensitivity and opinions i am not attempting to engage further on a flame war.

I just wanted to pipe in and say how i felt on the matter. I am sure they were not intending any offense, sometimes you take risks when doing something comedic or new, and it doesn't always get the reaction you expect. All i am suggesting is before rallying protest signs at Atari or Cryptic Studios, you guys seperate "opinion" from "fact" and make informed decisions.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-07-2011, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by science_officer_brooks View Post
There's your misconception because I really have tried to give it a chance and im still not seeing this professionalism that you're talking about. And ssr is any more special than red shirt army, stoked, priority one, trek radio, etc why? No I'm not star trek online, I never said I was so don't ever make it seem like I was in any way implying that. I'm also not the only one who is offended by their jokes towards my particular orientation. I dont hear them making straight jokes, unless I've been listening.to the wrong episodes. I'm not the only one who doesn't agree with them being promoted as the sum representation of all of star trek online either as "the voice of star trek online". That's all that bothers me. It's my own personal opinion, just like yours is that you like them. Mine just happens to be the opposite of yours.
Alright, so you can't cite an example where an SSR interview with a dev was unprofessional and/or immature.

I do not think it was ever stated, assumed, or implied, in any way shape or form, on this forum, at SSR, or by any individual that Subspace Radio is more special than Red Shirt Army, STOKed, Priority One, Trek Radio, or any other STO-related media. You can make the presumption that SSR thinks that way, but that is a prejudice that is not based in reality. Subspace Radio hosts podcasts from some of these afformentioned media outlets during the week, and I have never heard it mentioned anywhere that Subspace Radio is 'better' than anyone. If you have a citation to back your claim up, I'm more than happy to listen to it.

As to my implying you believe that you are Star Trek Online, I cite your previous post which states "Those people and what they say with their voice certainly don't represent me". Since Subspace Radio says they are the voice of Star Trek Online, and because that is one of your complaints, it's easy to make the implication that you in some way, shape, or form, believe Subspace Radio is trying to represent you. If this is not what you intended with your statement, then I apologize and retract my implication.

As for making "straight jokes", it is a lot like South Park in a way. A controversial show which has tried very hard to offend everyone at some point (not that Subspace Radio plots in the meeting room to consciously and knowingly offend everyone they possibly can). And I will respond to it in a similar way.

You're either offended at one particular politically incorrect joke, or you're offended at every politically incorrect joke. To be offended at one joke regarding a single facet of humanity, and not any other facets joked about in similar ways, is to be hypocritical.

I personally live by the phrase: "Either everything is funny, or nothing is."

If you find one cultural term used in a negative way, then all cultural terms used in a negative way should also be taken offensively and in equal measure.

And since you do not listen to Subspace Radio, I will hope you will take my word for it when I say that many facets of humanity are poked fun at, that in some way... would be insulting to a person or group of people, and could most definately be seen as offensive and demeaning.

I have not seen any controversy from players regarding those particular instances.

This really does appear to be cherry-picking to me, and people who are looking for a reason to be offended.
Closed Thread