Lt. Commander
# 1 Ask Cryptic: May 2011
05-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Hey everyone!

It's that time again: The new Ask Cryptic for May 2011 is up and running on our website. Hop on over and check it out!
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Awesome!
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Q: LilRaveGirl How soon can we expect the Gorn Rebellion to start kicking up?
A: It all depends on whether or not their homeworld gets assimilated.

Oh you evil evil man.... I love you Dan!
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Dan's Answer to LilRaveGirl's question has me wondering about what are we going to see the Borg do here soon.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-06-2011, 04:14 PM
As always, exciting reading...

and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstahl
Q: red_shirt_ The team took a tremendous amount of time to develop planetary systems for missions. I can understand why they are locked until we are able to access the missions attached to them. However, I cannot understand why we are not allowed to re-enter them after the mission(s) are complete (replay aside). It was mentioned more random events will be introduced into the game. What better places than the systems that are already here to generate possible random events and missions for us to play and allow to visit these beautiful planetary systems.

A: I hear you loud and clear on this one. It is one of my pet peeves with STO. I should be able to go to any planet at any time. It is a long term goal to make this happen and just as you suggested, use existing locations for new events and missions (which we have slowly been doing btw via some of our Feature Episodes).
Not so excited about the "long term" time stamp. But I am glad this has been something that crossed the dev's minds. It will be awesome to revisit all of these places and do new stuff then...
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Q: pdidy What is the current status of the Andorian Kumari and Ambassador-Class ships?

A: Both of these ships are on our long term radar. I'd really like to see both incorporated into future Feature Episode series so that they can release when they do. Currently neither of these ships will be in game until after Season 4 releases, but we absolutely plan to have them in game in 2012.
Dissapointed

Quote:
Q: dorko1 I know that the refit is still a touchy subject, but could you guys shed any light on what might happen? I understand that there should be obvious misgivings about the idea of the Constitution class outmatching a vessel 200 yrs new and twice its size, but a replica that's really more of an Excalibur class vessel might be able to add something to the mix.

A: You are correct that it is a touchy subject amongst the community and based on the discussions we've had with CBS about ships, I don't think we're going to put a high-end Constitution Class refit into the game. You can still have a lower tier TOS Connie use the Squad Leader feature to bring their stats up to a higher level, but the odds of an end game Connie refit is a long shot.
Redeemed

Oh and the forum link in the Ask Cryptic Article is broken; it goes to the homepage
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-06-2011, 04:20 PM
A huge thank you to everyone for this months' "Ask Cryptic", but I wanted to also extend a big big thank you to Dan for answering my question.

Q: TOSLover While I absolutely love the Foundry and am very amazed at all we can do with it, might there be an easier way that we could place our items, objects, ships, etc.? Maybe like an actual 3-D representation similar to how "The Sims" does it? I guess the question I'm asking is a change to Foundry object placement somewhere on the horizon?

A: Your suggestion is right on the money and I wish the team had the time to implement this immediately. Unfortunately it is going to take us quite a bit of time to get there. The first step might come later this year when we start to talk about a revamp to ship interiors and player starbases that would allow you to place objects as props.

So, again, Dan, thank you very very much! You've made my month!

(no worries about the length of time; I'm a very patient person and will wait as long as it takes)
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Twice you mentioned that it was some sort of hotly debated topic weather or not we could get a T5 connie or not. Why is this hotly debated when you aready put it to rest? You put a 22nd Century Vulcan ship at T5 for crying out loud. Presumably you are doing the same with the Andorian ship. Klingons have reused the B'rel since the 22nd Century as well and no one bats an eye at that either.

While I don't expect to see my T5 missions flooded with TOS connies I do have to wonder what this supposed impass is on allowing players to play as these ships.
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-06-2011, 04:37 PM
All my questions got the snub (we still need more in game Boff slots with reward Boffs or way in game to purchase them reasonably)

But this was suggested in the "Crew System" I originally authored so YaY!

Q: Killer8472 With the addition of the TOS interior and the TOS dressed crew, does this open up the possibility of allowing us to customize the uniforms of NPC's in other interiors?

A: Yes, it is a step towards that. It is on our 2012 goal list to allow players to select a "ship crew" uniform that crewmen on your ship interiors will wear.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Cryptic: May 2011
Q: dorko1 I know that the refit is still a touchy subject, but could you guys shed any light on what might happen? I understand that there should be obvious misgivings about the idea of the Constitution class outmatching a vessel 200 yrs new and twice its size, but a replica that's really more of an Excalibur class vessel might be able to add something to the mix.

A: You are correct that it is a touchy subject amongst the community and based on the discussions we've had with CBS about ships, I don't think we're going to put a high-end Constitution Class refit into the game. You can still have a lower tier TOS Connie use the Squad Leader feature to bring their stats up to a higher level, but the odds of an end game Connie refit is a long shot.
Before anyone lays claim to this answer as the 'final nail in the coffin', I interpret this to mean that CBS has side-stepped this concept for now. Taking pressure off of Cryptic. And that's fine. BUT. This doesn't mean that it can't / won't be taken up again in the future.
Closed Thread