Lt. Commander
# 11
05-07-2011, 06:29 PM
My two favorites so far:

In my first mission, one guy said how much he loved time travel missions so he really liked mine. Just one problem... there is no time travel. But hey... he gave it 4 stars so I'll take it.

In my 2nd and most recent mission, I just had a complaint that "the 25th prime number thing was kind of obnoxious." No idea what he is talking about.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-08-2011, 07:05 AM
Best of 1-star ratings so far in my missions:
3X "Mission is not in English, all the rest of the Game is in English, so this is stupid.."
Makes you feel like switching the client to German and then 1-star all English missions.
"Could not find the Forxas system"
No, you cannot find the Forxas system, it doesn't exist. The FORCAS system in OMEGA LEONIS sector block as the mission states DOES exist though.
"DS"
Which I think means Down-Scaling. I saw it in several non-English missions same day.

So, live with the fact that there are many trolls around. Don't let it get to you and advertise your missions where people will appreciate them.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-08-2011, 08:20 AM
What is "Down-Scaling" supposed to mean?

There is often not enough room in these little review windows to give a good review. That's why I often PM those people who reported having problems. I often get very helpful responses.

The only thing I am a little sad about is when I get a 1-star-review that complains about the amount of dialog in my mission and that there is not enough action going on.
It's actually a true statement, there is an awful lot of dialog and practically no fighting but I do state this in both the mission description AND the mission grant dialog. So I don't understand why people not interested in this kind of mission still play it.

But, okay, thanks to these reviews I implemented a lot of possibilities to skip dialog (and therefore loosing a lot of the story), so maybe this was a good thing?
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Quote:
But, okay, thanks to these reviews I implemented a lot of possibilities to skip dialog (and therefore loosing a lot of the story), so maybe this was a good thing?
No. It is a bad thing to do. You either believe in your concept or you don't.

"Down-Scaling" means that there are certain users out there that will not even play your mission, but just rate it 1, so that e.g. their favorite missions rise to the top of the list. And, sadly, yes... It happens. Especially with non-English missions. The German STO forums are full of complaints about it.
Today got a 1-star review that states "Bad". Neat for a mission that has mostly 5 star and 4 star reviews, eh?

You just have to live with the fact that for logical or illogical reasons there will be people out there that do not like your mission(s).

Actually I wonder what people would do if Chinese was a supported language and Chinese players got to review missions. Tremble in fear because there are more Chinese than (native) English speaking folks on the planet?
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrowedTune
My two favorites so far:

In my first mission, one guy said how much he loved time travel missions so he really liked mine. Just one problem... there is no time travel. But hey... he gave it 4 stars so I'll take it.

In my 2nd and most recent mission, I just had a complaint that "the 25th prime number thing was kind of obnoxious." No idea what he is talking about.
There is a bug with the review window, review a few missions and you'll see it. The next mission after the first review will have the text from the last review you gave in it, if you just hit the star rating, the old text gets sent to the new review if you don't delete it and write something new.
Lt. Commander
# 16 Well Said!
05-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlordskull View Post
That is one reason why I asked a few individuals on this forum to evaluate my mission and give a candid, no-holds barred review. They will be brutally honest, tell you what bothered them, and what they liked in more words that the review in-game can offer. And I believe that they have graded my mission fairly, which I appreciate.

Plus, you can always refer people to those review threads.

I'm sorry that someone chose to be a jerk regarding your mission. But as others have said including yourself, there will always be one of them out there like that. In my opinion, there is absolutely no pleasing somebody like that.

Brush it off, brother. Don't let guys like that prevent you from telling your stories. For every guy like that there are plenty out there that appreciate the work you've put into it.
Well said OldLordSkull,

You can't please everyone, so if your mission is sound and you achieved what you wanted in its creation, Brush it off.
My biggest aggravation as an author is when an odd 1 out of 13 have a malfuction that stops them from the completing the mission. 5 people run it prior to the issue and 5 people run it after without a problem, but one has an issue and you get the infamous 1 start rating with the text "Mission Broken", even though you know it is not.
I have experienced this in my first mission and the being the 1st of my two part series, it can be a pain. My second part can be played without running Part I if someone experienced an issue, and the second part is the best part of the series in all its aspects, so I can still get decent feedback on it. Part II is also strong on Star Trek canon, much more than Part I.
If I run into a problem like this when running a mission, I will not give it a rating and will try to private mail the author and alert him to the issue. If I am not enjoying the mission before the malfuction, I generally will just drop it and not reaquire it. The Foundry is a great way to express our creativity and in my opinion, once I get going on a story, it's as addicting as the game play itself can be. My story and missions are pretty good and achieved what I wanted for the most part, but not everyone will like them regardless.

It's just human nature. So Duke X, take OldLordSkull's great advice and brush it off, life is too short to worry about someone being a jerk in your review. Focus on the constructive feedback and positive comments instead.

My Missions:

Omega Directive Revisited (Part I - The Investigation)
Omega Directive Revisited II (Part II - Break the Link)
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrowedTune
My two favorites so far:

Might have confused our missions BorrowedTune.

Note to mission players: When I created Omega Directive Revisited, I did not research to see if anyone else had used the Omega Directive as a mission topic, but please be advised:

The Omega Directive and The Omega Fallout are both works of art created by BorrowedTune and we are miles apart with our stories and plots. I approached the subject from a different angle altogether so they should not be confused with each other.

Props on your series BorrowedTune. An awesome job!

My missions:

Omega Directive Revisited (Part I - The Investigation)
Omega Directive Revisited II (Part II - Break the Link)