Lt. Commander
# 21
05-08-2011, 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
Have you considered the possibility that he was just referring to the post I linked to and omitted to say "Cryptic has said"?
Hos that thought actually crossed your mind or do you always assume people to be presumptious and not just imperfect?
When he works for Cryptic, he can then make sourceless statements for them.

Quote:
But you'll note he also does not explicitly rule out the possibility to give the Borg assimilated giant space dragons.
This is irrelevant. It was not part of the thread then, and it is not part of the thread now. The statement made does literally refer to carriers; nothing else. Your statement here, on the other hand, is illogical and serves no purpose.

Quote:
However the ship simply has two canon positions for it nacelles: down for sublight, up for warp.
Clearly showing canon overwrites background notes.
This is untrue. The nacelles on the Intrepid Class are capable of varying degrees of upward angle. This is not as simple as an 'off' and 'on.'

Also No one has stated that shows are not canon. In fact I stated quite clearly that no on screen references or statements were made regarding the Akira. This means that the designer notes, again as I've previously stated, are the most valid source we have. The same applies to Curry Type, Yeager Type, and so forth.

Quote:
Creating threads with the same or similar topics in different parts of the forums is also not good.
Also there are BB threads as well
This thread falls within the category of this subforum. The purpose is for the addition of different types of ships beyond similarities to what we have now.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-08-2011, 03:23 AM
We've never seen the Akira functioning in a CV role. We have seen *on screen* in a CL/CA role.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-08-2011, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshicus
We've never seen the Akira functioning in a CV role. We have seen *on screen* in a CL/CA role.
Which is the point several of us have tried to make to him, but he disregards it entirely.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-08-2011, 03:32 AM
In reference to a reply I made earlier in this thread, this was the original design of the Ambassador Class Starship. By your logic Ezhno, this would be considered the canon version of the Ambassador Class.

However, that is not the canon version. This is.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-08-2011, 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phibrizzo View Post
In reference to a reply I made earlier in this thread, this was the original design of the Ambassador Class Starship. By your logic Ezhno, this would be considered the canon version of the Ambassador Class.

However, that is not the canon version. This is.
YOU CAN'T LINK TO EX-ASTRIS-SCIENTIA.

Sorry, it's just really annoying clicking a link and getting a "do not hotlink" image back.
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-08-2011, 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezhno View Post
When he works for Cryptic, he can then make sourceless statements for them.
Just like you did when you wrote "The Akira is a carrier" on the first page, not quoting or pointing to any source?
Does this mean you are working for CBS then?

Quote:
This is untrue. The nacelles on the Intrepid Class are capable of varying degrees of upward angle. This is not as simple as an 'off' and 'on.'
Really, then why do they always have the same maximum elevation before the ship goes to warp.
That does not make any sense because they should gradually fold with increasing speed, which they never do.
Does your opinion of what should be overwrite what we've actually seen?

Quote:
Also No one has stated that shows are not canon. In fact I stated quite clearly that no on screen references or statements were made regarding the Akira. This means that the designer notes, again as I've previously stated, are the most valid source we have. The same applies to Curry Type, Yeager Type, and so forth.
And yet at every opportunity where she could have launched any fighters she did not, like facing three Warbirds in "A Mesage in a Bottle".
Does Starfleet regularly send empty carriers on their way?
So there is not only canon not supporting it, it's also questionable based on simple reason.
Or Starfleet Command is more foolish than ever before.

Apropos reason:
At a 19 deck structure, the Akira would be roughly 440-450 meters which is pretty close to the Excelsior.
So the supposed 30 meter Peregrines would probably not fit throught the forward doors.
And at that size the Akira is supposed to have:
A full crew and propulsion system
15 torpedo launchers and enough ammunition storage for them
A trough-deck hanger with altogether 5 hangar doors equipped to to hold, service and launch a whole bunch of fighters bigger than North American B-45 Tornado Bombers.

Is the ship equipped with subspace compression that makes it bigger on the inside than the outside, or how is this supposed to work?

Also only what was on screen is valid, anything else is background and therefore...background.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-08-2011, 03:44 AM
Quote:

Sorry, it's just really annoying clicking a link and getting a "do not hotlink" image back.
Simple fix, right click the link and select 'copy link location' or the equivalent for whatever browser you use, my example is from firefox. open a new tab and paste the location, press enter and bang, image works just fine.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-08-2011, 03:44 AM
Quote:

The links work for me.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-08-2011, 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phibrizzo View Post
The links work for me.
That's because you still have them in your browser's cache.
Since I opened the links manually by now I have so as well.
Otherwise you simply get redirected to a small pic that says you should not try hotlinking to the site.
When you clear your browser's cache you'll see what Gatness meant.
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-08-2011, 04:10 AM
no amount of wishing the akira was a carrier is going to make it one. The whole through carrier idea came from the original designer of the ship. He thought that might be a cool idea, and he's right it was. but the powers that be didn't want the ship to fill a role like that. They had the wisdom back then not to want a fed carrier ether! When the cg model was created, there was no through carrier hardware evident on it anywhere. There are no wide doors on the front or back, nothing that could be mistaken as through carrier hardware. Donít believe me? Google a picture of the actual cg model they used in the shows, they are easy to find. You might find drawings of the through carrier, those exist too. But those are just concept drawings; the cg model is the final product. Thus in cannon the akira is a heavy cruiser with impressive phaser arrays and even more impressive torpedo launchers.

the federation carrier issue was settled by storm shade in that post that was linked. There has been no official post newer than that. That means that is the official position cryptic has taken on fed carriers. There is no other conclusion you can draw from this.

if you still canít accept this information, then you dont know how evidence and facts work and you are impossible to argue with