Lt. Commander
# 1 Guest Characters
05-08-2011, 08:53 PM
I have not used the Foundry and have only recently explored the concept and it looks pretty sweet. I was wondering if it is possible to introduce guest characters that can go on away missions with you that must be part of your away team, like Cmdr Shelby from "Best of Both Worlds?"
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-08-2011, 09:05 PM
No, not yet anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Well, you could always make a toon named "Commander Shelby" and team with everyone who plays your mission.

As stated above, not possible. Can't even get a npc to follow you around.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Hmm, well that is probably only one of many things the community wants implemented into the foundry. Guest characters would be great for heavy story-driven missions. You know for all the authors and players who want to really geek-out and experience a story not just a set of combat actions, not that those are not fun mind you, but a story driven mission is my favorite part of STO and i think that the Foundry gives the community a great platform to produce really sweet stories!
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-08-2011, 10:07 PM
There are ways to do it, but you can't have them actually accompany the away team. You can have the away team encounter the character on multiple levels, but they cannot actually follow you.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-09-2011, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
There are ways to do it, but you can't have them actually accompany the away team. You can have the away team encounter the character on multiple levels, but they cannot actually follow you.
This is basically what I'm doing in a scenario where it would make more sense for the char to follow and even fight beside you.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-09-2011, 04:40 AM
Two things I want as options in the foundry.
Assign an NPC to the player to assist. Cap it at 1 since we don't need foundry author building an army of 100 NPCs.
And optionably assign immortality on said NPC, so the mission doesn't break just because a viotal character gets killed by the first mob encountered.

Oh, and while we are at it.

I'd like the option to switch an enemy NPC to NOC contact at 10% health? So surrender scenarios are possible.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-09-2011, 05:29 AM
There are many thing i want to see added. guest characters is a cool idea, although i can see it being very tricky if that characters actually replaces a boff.

but having contacts become invisible/beam out, having non combat become hostile and visa vesa, having characters follow a set group of waypoints so they can follow you (like scotty does in night of the comet) or fun away (like the undine at p'jem).
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Yeah i love the idea of surrender either for the opponent or even the player character, a missions where you are captured and that have to break out would be sweet.

Also i love the idea of non conclusive battles in space where if you deal so much damage the enemy withdraws, more realistic and very Trek!

I know kills have to do with XP and ranking but sometimes id rather have a sweet story over gaining XP though i know im not speaking for everyone.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-09-2011, 11:05 PM
True, the technology to have an NPC Follow you like Miral Paris, but you can easily mimic one by having the NPC spawn every time you reach an interesting area and make it look like the NPC was following you.