Lt. Commander
# 11
05-09-2011, 08:46 AM
On the matches where I lose, the balance is obviously WAY off. When I win, the balance is fine.

Last night I was in about 8 matches. I was on the winning team four times, my stats in all the matches placed me in the upper half of my team, except for one truly dismal match. That seems balanced to me.

About a week ago I was in a pug that met a mostly premade team in an arena. The match lasted an hour. It was fun, and balanced.

I have no problem with the balance - except to say it can always be tweaked. And if I boycotted PvP, I wouldn't have much left to do.
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-09-2011, 08:54 AM
I actually just enjoy Ker'rat now more than the Ques.
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-09-2011, 11:51 AM
We thought about a boycott before. I think it was after the UI Lag/Equipment Bug that lead to chaos and anarchy and infractions across the PvP forum.

The only way to boycott the game is to not play it. Just not playing PvP merely sends the message to Cryptic that PvP support is not needed, as no one is doing it. People leaving, them making _less_ money makes them ask why.

If you are willing to lapse, or cancel your subscription, do it now.

If you are not willing to end your subscription, you have to do something else. You should do something constructive, instead of attracting more negative attraction. If you go around insulting people and throwing out threats, you will get resentment and the counter-effect of what you demand. Sure, some will say:" but that's unprofessional". But that doesn't change how humans work.

shuttle_wars IMO was something constructive and fun. We even got some of the Cryptic personnel interested, especially snix. Unfortunately, snix no longer works at Cryptic, and we are still not happy with the degree of support we saw. But we cannot deny that at least jheinig is asking and listening to our feedback.

We have to accept - as hard as that is - that Cryptic will not deliver the amount of support we crave. That doesn't mean we should give up. But it means we have to manage our expectations, and work at recognizing the attempts they do and at least lead them in the right direction, even if they take long for it - remember, if you are still reading this, you have already admitted that you won't leave the game.

shuttle_wars is one thing. It doesn't have to be the only thing. It might not even be the best thing. Come up with something new.

Maybe a special PvP event each month "PvP Awareness Day" where PvP fleets invite players and devs alike to join their chat channels and vents and teams to play the game. Make PvP visible and put in a positive light. Show why it's fun, show how it contributes to the game as a whole. (And I think we do - all those build questions we get in the ship-specific forums? Who provides the best advice?)
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-09-2011, 01:47 PM
bah if you feel so strong OP just stop paying its as simple as that.

IF I HAD NOT BEEN SO STUPID & BOUGHT 2 LIFE TIME SUBS FOR MY SON & MYSELF.

id have dropped this game like march last year.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-09-2011, 01:57 PM
What exactly would Boycotting do? You think they care if you play PvP? They want you to pay to play...plain and simple. In fact, they would probably like you not playing PvP anymore so they don't have to make any changes or add anything to it. Less work for them to do in fact.

I won't sign it either, but before the thread gets locked I wanted to say it is a silly idea. It's not like the game is 100% PvP. If we stop playing PvP...no one at Cryptic would care either way.
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-09-2011, 01:59 PM
A civil discussion has sprung from this. We'll let it stay open so long as everyone plays nice and follows the rules. Some concerns mentioned thus far have been touched on by DStahl in the last 'Ask Cryptic'.

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2424

We are always working to improve our games and appreciate your feedback.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Honestly Boycotting would achieve nothing. Considering the number of long time (the whole time) subs that have cancelled in the last couple months... you would hope that has pulled more weight with Cryptic.

Now if you where to suggest an act of civil protest... say like 20-50 pvpers doing syncro snake dances in a PvE hub... or something. lol

Surely we all hope that cryptic fixes some of the imbalance, of course as some others have stated the balance isn't terrible. There has always been a few bugs at pretty much every patch in the game that has given those in the know the upper hand if they choose to do so.... many players did just that. The current version of FAW is perhaps a bit more rampent as its not really a bug as much as a broken skill. (Which just so happens was installed on most bad PvE builds)

I'll be queing still... not as often as I once did, but I'll still play. When I run into the faw boats I'll nuke em... when I run into the teams of honestly good players that don't need it but do it anyway... I'll do my best to put a team together and nuke them too.

Lets all not forget its a game, I won't take getting fawed to serious. Of course it would seem Cryptic should perhaps take PvP a bit more serious, perhaps if they did we could get back to some high end pvp. Heck perhaps some of our friends would even return.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-09-2011, 03:01 PM
theres a couple of interesting threads in the star trek online discussion section that may need some more pvp support/explanations.

and yeah, its openly admited that sto (since season one) has been neglected, except when theres been rash outrage at some things. so.... yeah...

-sad panda-
Lt. Commander
# 19
05-09-2011, 03:14 PM
I think the idea of boycotting is going too far, Cryptic is a small company and im preaty sure their doing their best. Look you got their attention, which is a lot more than you would get from other companies, now instead of flaming give some solid examples and ideas of how to fix this.

Personaly I think that once the skill tree is seperated between space and ground this "unbalanced" problem will be completly resolved. So I am highly anticipating that update so I can FINALY enjoy PvP, not get blown out of the sky in 2 sec because im too lazy to spec myself for a specific role.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-09-2011, 08:41 PM
If you're going to boycott pvp, boycott the whole game and unsub. That's going to be heard more than your forum post, and likely won't be heard at all.

Don't like OP skills? Tough it out. Pick them up if you have to. Having an elitist attitude is only going to make you seem like a jerk to other people. A good PvPer would see things such as FaW as an added challenge to make you a better PvPer. Think of when they nerf it. Although it may take a long time, and come after many uniforms, when it is finally nerfed you will be used to fighting people using OP skills, while they will be used to using a crutch. I PvP every day, many times, and almost every game against at least one FaWboat. No biggie. I don't get mad because some meanie exploded my pixels. When you die... nothing bad happens... no repair cost, no walking back to your corpse in ghost mode, no having to get a new captain because you died. Nothing bad happens. Same when you lose. You get the same rewards. You just want to win, I just want to have fun in the fight.