Lt. Commander
# 21
05-11-2011, 08:52 AM
DStahl is indeed in charge of the game and most decisions hinge on his word. Mind, most, not all. There are always other factors. Someone higher up may ask him to do something. Another department may have the assets he needs so he has to wait in line. Sometimes what you feel is super-urgent simply is not when compared to the schedules he has to lay months in advance. And in other cases still something cannot be changed without breaking something else in a big way and we need to check back on it later.

That certainly isn't the answer anyone likes to hear about their preferred style of game play, it is however how things work.

PS: Guys, the veiled insults against any member of the staff are not needed, mkay? *hands you erasers* Please take them out.
Lt. Commander
# 22
05-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishStone
PS: Guys, the veiled insults against any member of the staff are not needed, mkay? *hands you erasers* Please take them out.
* Goes trough the topic
* Another pass
* Another pass
* Another pass

Didn't find any.

PS: For real.
Lt. Commander
# 23 Wrong
05-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Sometimes what you feel is super-urgent simply is not when compared to the schedules he has to lay months in advance.
I hate to say it, but that sounds arrogant and condescending in a "We know better than you, be quite" kind of way. And sometimes the one making the schedules is wrong. Nobody is infallible. FAW seems to fall into that. If I have things right, Jesse and Salami were put onto the FAW issue, only to have to do a rework off efficient engines, making a new item set, and a complete overhaul of shield types slotted ahead of it. Even if it is true that those other tasks are easier to do, you're looking at issues that people don't much care about (or even with EiE create a 50 page thread against the change. Which is ignored.) VS. one that has people and whole fleets fleeing the already ailing PvP section of the game en-masse. At this point FAW could have been fixed a long time ago, and it's very obvious that priorities were mismanaged. Always fix an issue that you are losing customers over before issues that the customers aren't even thinking about.

Quote:
And in other cases still something cannot be changed without breaking something else in a big way and we need to check back on it later.
Not funny

Quote:
I don't see any veiled insults here; I see valid criticism. Priorities have been mismanaged, it is fair to discuss that and point that out. PvP has been neglected under Dstahl, by his own admission, and that's perfectly fair to discuss as well. Rather than take offense at criticism you should be aware that we only want this game to improve, specifically the PvP section that we all enjoy. When you cannot take a small amount of criticism from your customers you have to step back and take a good hard look at your corporate attitude. Do you view us as equals and value our opinions or not?
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
Do you view us as equals and value our opinions or not?
Quote:
I hate to say it, but that sounds arrogant and condescending in a "We know better than you, be quite" kind of way.
I had to do it Jorf
Makes it much more visible this way and in a way you answered yer self

As to the point of insults ... well the *Zefstahl* made me laugh.
Leme rephrase that, it was a good thing to read and really made me laugh, not as in insult or anything, but rather as a funny assembly
Could not think of it my self
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Nail on the head hurley.

Normally I just keep quiet when it comes to Dev issues, priorties etc. but this FAW issue is just irresponsible, as is the complete neglect of anything in the PVP sector, the stupid blue scorpion fighter bug is still there for that matter.
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Quote:
And sometimes the one making the schedules is wrong.
[...]
At this point FAW could have been fixed a long time ago.
This is precisely why I created this thread. I don't want to keep blaming jheinig for not working on FAW when it is actually the higher-ups who decide what gets done at which point in time.
I feel that it is important to direct our concerns at the right people and not simply blame the only visible face in pvp.

Quote:
Do you view us as equals and value our opinions or not?
I don't think Cryptic views the players as equals. We are their customers. Whether that makes us inferior or superior or something else entirely is a different question.
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom
I feel that it is important to direct our concerns at the right people and not simply blame the only visible face in pvp.
I don't believe we ever *blamed* anyone, but we do want things fixed .. even more so when things got tested on tribble and feedback was ignored.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Don't worry I'm sure Cryptic will fix FAW after they get finished breaking shields. By the way wishstone, your tone is not respectful towards the community here that wants nothing more than for you to understand that we need a balance fix yesterday, this issue has been presented a billion times in the past two weeks with no word from cryptic other than we'll fix it once we're done with shields. It is disheartening to us as players to see issues crop up in this game and the devs to be ignorant of them, or worse downright not care.

Star Trek is one of the most valuable intellectual properties of the past 100 years, for many of us the players of this game our love of Star Trek is the only thing that keeps our subscriptions active. I don't mean to threaten, but if this game didn't have the Star Trek name on it, many of us would have unsubscribed due to the spectacular mismanagement of pvp and the disaster called the C-store.
Lt. Commander
# 29
05-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Quote:
You're my new forum hero, this place is way too uptight for me sometimes

Sure, maybe the priorities aren't perfect sometimes to our needs, but is adding a new map really going to change who we are? No. We're PVPers we fight and pew-phenomenally-perfect!
Lt. Commander
# 30
05-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom
I don't think Cryptic views the players as equals. We are their customers. Whether that makes us inferior or superior or something else entirely is a different question.
This may not come off in the manner I intended it... Cryptic seems to need a good self audit of their customer service.

"The competition is anyone the customer compares you with."
- Tom Connellan from the book Inside the Magic Kingdom

Silence and inactivity seem to have given many in the STO community negative feelings in regards to Cryptic. Again no disrespect to the STO overlords (joking) perhaps Cryptic does need to understand that great companies are great by way of good communication. Great companies are not great only because they deliver the best product or have the best launch time lines, heck some very good companies don't always fix issues at lightning speed.... HOWEVER they all communicate at all times with their Bosses, their customers.

“So when the culture says, ‘Help the guest,’ it applies to everyone. Every single person ‘walks the
talk.’ Accountants walk the talk’ mechanical engineers walk the talk; supervisors walk the talk. In the
Magic Kingdom, everyone walks the talk"
- Tom Connellan from the book Inside the Magic Kingdom

"An empowered organization is one in which individuals have the knowledge, skill, desire, and opportunity to personally succeed in a way that leads to collective organizational success." --Stephen Covey

Cryptic is a small unit of people I understand that, I will say that it does seem some of them are willing to step up and do their best to address concerns. However the culture of the organization (Cryptic) Must at some level allow this to be effective. Having Cryptic employees take personal time to explore issues is HUGE, however the company must step up and endorse/back this type of excellent customer service. Doing so promotes both positive customer/organization relationships, as well as Employee/organization relationships. Its a win win, and can fuel loyalty on both sides.

"You can’t build a reputation on what you are going to do."
- Henry Ford

Cryptic (pun intended) engineering reports are a great line of communication between the bosses (customers) and the company. However follow through is what closes the deal on the goodwill it can engender.
Goals must be Specific Measurable Achievable Realistic and Time-Bound (SMART) Many ideas have been talked about by Cryptic staff, some have been given time lines that lapsed. It is never a bad idea to go through current goals and apply an Honest Smart look over and be honest and upfront in communications. Again Great companies do not have to have the most aggressive time lines, they simply need to be the most accurate in their forecasting.

"I quote others to better express myself."
- French Philosopher Montaigne

LOL no disrespect intended to anyone Cryptic, I'm sure you have plenty of internal best practices, likely a great mission statement. If after a min of self reflection, you believe you can not improve customer service, I would ask you please look again. We can all do better no matter what line of work where in. Thanks.