Lt. Commander
# 1 Own interiors?
05-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Has anyone made their own ship interiors to use for their missions?

I was tinkering with a mission where you have to beam over to a Starship (USS Black Hawk) and help with the repairs, with the expection of the premade Bridge (Defiant) I made my own Transporter room, Main Engineering and Sick Bay using the foundry tools.

Has anyone else done this? I would love to see what other ship areas people have made themselves.

If you want to play the mission go to the Custom Search and type 'Black Hawk Down' or under author of jg07, was my first foundry attempt so its still rough around the edges.
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-09-2011, 01:55 PM
I'm working on one for my mission. Not the entire thing is custom, but two decks are. I have to say that it has been a lot of trouble because of the Foundry limits. I was planning on making the deck roughly twice as large, and had the corridors in place, but I hit the detail limit way too early and had to remove half the walls in order to have anything besides empty rooms. I suppose you could make a bigger ship if you were willing to use the Foundation Walls to build a lot of it, but none of them really match the interior of a Starship that well, and also they are ridiculously thick. I used them in the Cargo Bay and part of the Environmental Control section because I needed more details to work with, and those were sort of unfinished areas where it would make sense.

Anyway, my mission should be done within the week, so I'll let you know then. If I have a chance I'll check out yours as well.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Ok, I played your mission. I thought the bridge and engineering were nicely done. I thought the transporter room was a bit lacking. It seems like you could add a couple of other rooms or expand sick bay a bit. The door the transporter room looked like the sick bay door (it was blue). If you want a door that actually says transporter you should use Door 02.

Instead of having an interact to use the turbolift, why not just have a reach marker with a 1 or 2 meter radius set inside the lift? It will pop up the change map dialogue when you enter the lfit which is enough of an interact. Also since the lift opens even before using the console it seems kind of silly to be calling it.

As far as the mission itself, it really wasn't a lot of fun. Running around to random consoles was more irritating than enjoyable and I stopped even bothering to read what I was fixing before the end. There simply has to be something more to a mission for it to be enjoyable.

I didn't leave a review in-game because I couldn't in all honesty give it a good review as it currently stands, and I didn't want to leave a bad review since I do appreciate the effort you put into the interiors. What I'd suggest is going back to the drawing board and coming up with a story to use these custom interiors in. Something more than just running around to random consoles. You'll need some more maps too, but these can be part of the mission.

I know firsthand that making custom interiors is extremely time consuming, but that's no reason to rush out the rest of the mission prematurely. Not having a decent story to go with the interiors just doesn't end up doing them justice.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg07
Has anyone made their own ship interiors to use for their missions?

I was tinkering with a mission where you have to beam over to a Starship (USS Black Hawk) and help with the repairs, with the expection of the premade Bridge (Defiant) I made my own Transporter room, Main Engineering and Sick Bay using the foundry tools.

Has anyone else done this? I would love to see what other ship areas people have made themselves.

If you want to play the mission go to the Custom Search and type 'Black Hawk Down' or under author of jg07, was my first foundry attempt so its still rough around the edges.

I made creative use of the Cirini Prime and Rashana maps to create the Interior of a Romulan D7. You be surprised how great the Rashana map can be used to create a Romulan Bridge.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Ok, I played your mission. I thought the bridge and engineering were nicely done. I thought the transporter room was a bit lacking. It seems like you could add a couple of other rooms or expand sick bay a bit. The door the transporter room looked like the sick bay door (it was blue). If you want a door that actually says transporter you should use Door 02.

Instead of having an interact to use the turbolift, why not just have a reach marker with a 1 or 2 meter radius set inside the lift? It will pop up the change map dialogue when you enter the lfit which is enough of an interact. Also since the lift opens even before using the console it seems kind of silly to be calling it.

As far as the mission itself, it really wasn't a lot of fun. Running around to random consoles was more irritating than enjoyable and I stopped even bothering to read what I was fixing before the end. There simply has to be something more to a mission for it to be enjoyable.

I didn't leave a review in-game because I couldn't in all honesty give it a good review as it currently stands, and I didn't want to leave a bad review since I do appreciate the effort you put into the interiors. What I'd suggest is going back to the drawing board and coming up with a story to use these custom interiors in. Something more than just running around to random consoles. You'll need some more maps too, but these can be part of the mission.

I know firsthand that making custom interiors is extremely time consuming, but that's no reason to rush out the rest of the mission prematurely. Not having a decent story to go with the interiors just doesn't end up doing them justice.
Thanks for feed back, I have taken it off and am going to play with it some more. Im going to take out some of the boring bits and using your advice to change things around.

I didnt know you could do that with the turbolift with using markers, thanks for that

More tinkering to do me thinks.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Please consider adding your props to asset sharing for the Foundry.

See: http://starbaseugc.com/wiki/index.php/Asset_Sharing