Lt. Commander
What is your favorite part of making missions?

I have identified several areas;

1) Imagining the mission - this is the planning in your head.

2) Writing the story/dialogue - the writing bit of getting the bulk of the story onto paper.

3) Creating the systems and planets - the artistic bit of building cities, or star systems, adding details to what is already there.

4) Building the mission - this is the nuts and bolts of filling out the storyboard, adding the encounters and markers.

5) Adding polish - this is the bit where you go back and check for errors. tweak things or add some optional bits to flesh it out.

6) Playing your own mission - either for testing to see it all works, or just the enjoyment of playing a mission you find enjoyable.

7) Waiting for the feedback to role it - seeing people reactions and possibly using feedback to improve it.

So unless anyone has another suggestion what part do you like the most?

For me its probably the artistic part of making star systems, or turning an empty ground map into something interesting. I enjoy other aspects of it but the artistic part is the bit I like the most.

What about you?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-16-2011, 06:31 AM
Nr. 5 - I would like to have missions in Polish language, why not? *giggles*

Actually I never write a story on paper or on Word or anything ... I directly go to scripting in the Foundry. ^^ It's not for everyone of course, butt I have had more successful missions like this.

I agree with all the rest.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-16-2011, 06:58 AM
Number 3.
In fact, I don't have any published mission at the moment, but I have 2 projects full of detailed maps.
I also like to think of new ideas and storylines, and I have some good ideas, but my lack of English skills is the reason why I don't publish missions anymore. Therefore I hate the reviews the most :p
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Well, I guess it's about creating something I wanted to see when I bought the game.

I love writing intense storys with characters that stay in your Mind and want to share this with other people.

I alway wondered why most of Cryptic Missions felt wrong most of the time.

There were those large mostly empty maps, without any cities or "real" colonies for us to enjoy, playing STO felt like jumping from one map to another.

The Foundry gives me the opportunity to give my feelings how it should be to the Rest of the Players... and I really enjoy that.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-16-2011, 09:26 AM
I'd have to say a cross between your #1 and #4. I've done only about 1.5 missions so far, but by far the most fun experience Ive been having is getting a loose concept for a mission together, then actually sitting down with the Foundry, starting it up, and saying "ooh but how about this... how about that?" in the actual editor and watch as the mission becomes something interesting and engaging right in front of my face.

Other than that, I have to say that a close second is watching feedback roll in and the review numbers go up up up.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-16-2011, 09:30 AM
I agree!

A huge part of STO just doesn't feel like Star Trek to me. There is too much fighting going on.

In my missions I try to bring Star Trek to STO - like in a Star Trek series the crew of starship (aka the player) are presented with a problem or a mystery they need (or preferably want) to solve.
Sometimes this leads to a fight but most of the time, fights can be averted.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-16-2011, 09:46 AM
I would have to go with 3, 4, and 6.

I, like Eris the Vorta, don't write mine out either. I have my idea in my head the way I want it to go and
the build goes from there.

#3 - I really enjoy the map creation, the systems and adding to the existing templates. My second and third creations really were detailed and enjoyable to build.
#4 - I also love building the mission itself. I use alot of the Foundry triggers and dialogue trees, and I am always trying to create a "new" visual effect experience through mission interaction for the players.
#6 - The first play after publishing gives me alot of satisfaction to go through it with everything going the way I
envisioned it.

My Missions:

Omega Directive Revisited (Part I - The Investigation) Level 31+ (Approx 1.5 Hour mission)

A sound plot leading into the second part, with a few unlikely non-canon items like a handful of Hirogen ships able to blockade and have ground based squads on Andoria with no apparent Federation resistance and an uncharacteristically emotional, paranoid, and disrespectful Vulcan Captain on DS9.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Omega Directive Revisited II (Part II - Break the Link) Level 31+ (Approx 1.5 Hour mission)

Travel into the Gamma Quadrant to use the information gained during your investigation and stop the enemy from executing their plan. Strong canon based sequel for this second part. Will stand alone nicely if you choose not to play Part 1. (Interior of Wormhole is the Foundry default and some players have found it annoyingly bright, but I cannot control it)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Start to my New Series Released Saturday

Spawn of Medusa Level: Any level player (Approx 1 hour)

A new enemy, unlikely ally, and plenty of action in this start to my new series.
*Decent Ground Combat
*Decent Space Combat
*Dialogue Heavy storyline
*Fairly easy Trek trivia based puzzles for newer players
*Heavy interactive storyline.

Hope you give them a go and enjoy them as much as I did creating them.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-16-2011, 06:11 PM
I enjoy all of the above points. I don't pre-write the missions, like in a script. I handle it like Eris.

I would add a point:

8) Enjoying a beer, a whiskey, a marguerita or just ice tea, while looking at the results of a hard but enjoyable day of work with the Foundry.

I agree with others here, that Crypic made missions never made me feel like it was Star Trek I was playing.
Star Trek was never about shooting hundreds of faceless enemies.

So it gives me great satisfaction to create my own missions or surroundings... But also to play the great missions other players made that are more aligned to Star Trek than to the shoot em ups Cryptic provided us. (with some few notable exceptions)
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-16-2011, 08:13 PM
I think my favorite part is creating the environments. I'm not an expert in grammar, so the writing bit is probably more work for me than most but it's still fun to come up with interesting story lines and try to make it work with the tools we have. It's fun to see how far you can push the Foundry to make your story work the way YOU want it to.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-16-2011, 09:58 PM
I just love building maps, and creating environments