Lt. Commander
# 21
05-13-2011, 10:50 PM
On the topic of flirting. I think you should be careful with it to not be irritating, and you should always have the option of skipping it entirely. But, I wouldn't worry about whether then protagonist is a man or a woman (and even if they are they could be gay). I'd just put in a chance to flirt with someone of both genders and then the player can make the necessary choices for you. Just keep the interaction neutral enough so that if it's a man and a man or a woman and a woman it works out, and you're golden.
Lt. Commander
# 22 So I posted my attempt.
05-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Just posted my city mission for Nagus' contest, in it I put some...err... interpersonal skills (i.e. you can flirt)

In a bar scene you can dance with either a guy or gal Orion for information. You can also (if you choose to) flirt with the Orion of your choice

If you do flirt, then in the end of the mission they re-appear and open an optional confrontation/side mission for you, tell you how much they are going to miss you and present you with a gift. It ends in a final twist.

Of coarse... if you do not flirt, you never will now what your missing. It probably took 30+ detail items to pull off... which when your building a city can make it tough.

If you want to try it, I'd be interested in opinions. Please note the following:

(1) The mission is not finished, but is fully playable. Space is just an empty shell to get you to the planet at this time.

(2) There probably is still some typos and maybe trigger issues. If you find any, let me know. I ask that you don't slam the ratings until I am finished.

Name : The Sins of Her Fathers only Son.
level : 31+
Project ID: ST-HMVYBNM2T

You are called upon to retrieve Admiral Turock from the recently discovered Cardassian colony on Tazoria II. The Admiral was in the early stages of negotiating a possible peace with the Cardassian Proctor Travor Krell of the region. The Admiral has signaled that negotiations are going well and nearing completion.

Proceed to Tazoria II located in the Beta Ursae Sector Block in the Badlands.

This mission allows you to take multiple [Diplomatic] paths that will avoid conflicts and allow you to solve the situations... if you are careful.

You may choose [Tactical] paths and be assured of conflict.

Thanks,
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrowedTune
As far as disclaimers and worrying about ruining someone's rp back story... whatever. Write the story you want, guys. Dare to push boundaries. Break rules. Challenge preconceptions. It will either be a spectacular success or failure depending on your skill and ability to pull it off.
No! Don't encourage rule breaking. The foundry is designed to work with certain mission and story types. They aren't here for massive mob combat, not here for RP environments, or dialogue-tree click and wins. The missions are designed for a mixture of dialogue and 3-5 combat encounters. To do otherwise is to raise the specter of rule breaking. We aren't here to push the envelope of storytelling, that is Cryptic's job. Our job as foundry authors is to provide the best stories which fit within the EULA rules of content creation.
Lt. Commander
# 24
05-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennjahn View Post
No! Don't encourage rule breaking. The foundry is designed to work with certain mission and story types. They aren't here for massive mob combat, not here for RP environments, or dialogue-tree click and wins. The missions are designed for a mixture of dialogue and 3-5 combat encounters. To do otherwise is to raise the specter of rule breaking. We aren't here to push the envelope of storytelling, that is Cryptic's job. Our job as foundry authors is to provide the best stories which fit within the EULA rules of content creation.
I think he was writing about breaking with conventions, not breaking the EULA.
Also, I do totally disagree with the missions you outline as "correct" for the Foundry, but that does not belong to this topic.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-17-2011, 03:17 AM
I believe that there was no hard and fast rule about what could be created in the Foundry, apart from Cryptic giving us the means to create our own content. Yes, there are some specific rules, but none of them hinder the ability to tell a great story. I can't say that I, personally, have tripped over the EULA even once. Apart from making NPCs resemble the actors from the series and films(which I think is almost impossible anyway) and staying away from lude, hateful, or vulgar material, we kind of have free reign.
Of course, there was always the potential for exploits, that is more mechanical than artistic and Cryptic is aware of it.

So, if an author wishes to write about characters flirting, who am I to judge. If I don't like it, I don't like it. I don't have to do that mission. The very next person who plays it may think it's the pinnacle of authoring, the likes of which he/she has ever seen.
Go for it.