Lt. Commander
To Start Ultima Online started back on September 24, 1997, and is still running after all this time with main expansion packs.

Old 2D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXzDE...eature=related

New 3D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmINRZ6zFz8&feature=fvst

The game was owned by Origin Systems, but was sold to EA later on. Now the fun started.

Strike 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWumht6AuZo

(This taken from the Wiki)

Ultima Online 2 (UO2), later renamed Ultima Worlds Online: Origin (UWO:O) was announced in 1999. It was to add steampunk elements to the fantasy setting, set in a world where the past, present and future of Sosaria were merged together by a mistake made by Lord British while attempting to merge together the shards of the Gem of Immortality. Todd McFarlane was hired to design original monsters and regions for the game, as well as help shape the story. It was cancelled in 2001 before its release, citing the competitive nature of the massively multiplayer online gaming market—Electronic Arts feared the sequel would harm Ultima Online's subscription numbers.

Now I remember this very well, cause I was so excited about the new title, only to have the rug pulled right from under me. I wasn't the only feeling the pain that day, and I started a boycott of all things EA that. lasted 5 years. I moved on since then, but I still don't support EA like I use too. I still feel a little burned over the whole thing.

Strike 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwt-E...eature=related

(Again this is from the Wiki)

Ultima X: Odyssey was a new MMORPG to be set in a world named Alucinor, created by the Avatar after the events of Ultima IX: Ascension. It was cancelled in 2004 when Electronic Arts closed Origin. The UXO team was invited to move to the Bay area to finish the game. However, only a small number of people on the UXO team accepted the transfer. In the end, UXO was cancelled because the development team dissolved.

At this time I was in the wait and see mode, seeing how they killed the other version of Ultima. I tried to tell my friends at the time, not to get their hopes up, but like the 1st time around, they had the rug pulled from under them. Me? I didn't say I told them so, but it was UO2 all over again.

Now there is a rumor floating out there once again, that EA is thinking about finally making a NEW Ultima MMORPG. The 1st UO still has a few people on it, but it doesn't have the numbers it once did back in the days it was great. Will we see a new UO MMORPG? Only time will time, maybe if EA sells the name to a different company, but I don't feel EA will do any justice to the name. After all they are still working off the 1st game, and milking that old cow for all it's worth.

What do you guys think about this rumor?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Rumors about an Ultima MMORPG have floated around for ages.

Honestly, many of them are due to the recent browser MMORTS, Lords of Ultima (which is like Evony which is like Age of Empires).

I was a big fan back when Ultima Online 2 was announced in this trailer.
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-09-2011, 05:21 PM
So it is Ultima Online made by EA... what are the new spells the 'Hail Mary'? OMG It is the Quarterback sack, the healer is toast.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Hell, they COPULD just dust off and polish UO2 - it was ready for closed beta testing when the plug was pulled - back in the day.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Hell, they COPULD just dust off and polish UO2 - it was ready for closed beta testing when the plug was pulled - back in the day.
Almost 10 year old graphics would require some major changes. Also, there have been too many fantasy MMOs so they would have to take what worked from other MMOs, leave out what didn't work, and apply it to the Ultima MMO.

Personally, I am waiting for the Fallout MMO which is about as likely to see the light of day.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-09-2011, 07:00 PM
There are no Ultima games after Ultima VII: Part II - The Serpent Isle
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-10-2011, 04:49 AM
You right Armsman they can just use the basic ideas behind UO2, and just dress up the artwork to what we see today. I just feel it was a big shame they picked the old version over doing the newer ones.