Lt. Commander
# 1 Rumor: TNG Remastered!!!
05-09-2011, 08:35 PM
From TrekMovie, they have reported rumors that the before rumored TNG Remastered will now move forward.

It was previously stated to be put on hold for tech reasons.

However, with all Trek coming to Netflix streaming, we could see it then.

http://trekmovie.com/2011/05/09/rumo...omment-3423387

What do you think, good or bad?
Lt. Commander
# 2
05-09-2011, 10:03 PM
If they do as good of a job as was done for the remastered TOS I'm all for it
Lt. Commander
# 3
05-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizarone View Post
If they do as good of a job as was done for the remastered TOS I'm all for it
I totally agree. Just today I was watching one of the TOS remasterd episodes and I spent the first ten minutes arguing with myself whether it was the original version or remastered. When I came to the conclusion that it was remastered I realized how good a job they did on them.
Lt. Commander
# 4
05-10-2011, 01:12 AM
It's going to be tough doing TNG in HD.

Here's why:
Although the show was originally shot on film, it was downscaled to tape for the special effects. This means every effects shot might need to be redone (not to mention finding the original film mastersfor getting an HD quality transfer and splicing it together again). It'd be expensive but cool to see stuff gone back for another pass.
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-10-2011, 01:35 AM
If they manage to do that... I'd probably buy it. The TOS Remasted set has so far been very enjoyable to watch.
Lt. Commander
# 6
05-10-2011, 03:56 AM
TNG in HD would be sweet. Completely re-doing the effects, I'm not as sure about, mostly because the majority of them still hold up well even 25 years later. TOS absolutely needed it, but I've been re-watching TNG of late with my g/f, and I honestly just don't see a huge need to update the special effects side of it, other than maybe with the first season.
Lt. Commander
# 7
05-10-2011, 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerka View Post
TNG in HD would be sweet. Completely re-doing the effects, I'm not as sure about, mostly because the majority of them still hold up well even 25 years later. TOS absolutely needed it, but I've been re-watching TNG of late with my g/f, and I honestly just don't see a huge need to update the special effects side of it, other than maybe with the first season.
The effects would need to be redone because they're in TV/tape resolution, rather than HD/film quality.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-10-2011, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerka View Post
I have to agree; a lot of the effects are still as good as they were when the episodes first aired, if not better in some cases than modern effects. But, as others have said, if the problem is transfering VHS resolution into HD, then I'm all for it.

I have thought about it from time to time, and can think of a few eps that could stand to see "remastering." Specifically all the eps between the 2nd and 4th season, when many of the Klingon "battleships" were nothing more than oversized Birds of Prey. These oversized BoPs could be replaced with Vor'cha-class ships and maybe even the occassional K't'inga, since this is the era when the K't'inga was being phased out by the newer Vor'cha. We'll see though...
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-10-2011, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
It's going to be tough doing TNG in HD.

Here's why:
Although the show was originally shot on film, it was downscaled to tape for the special effects. This means every effects shot might need to be redone (not to mention finding the original film mastersfor getting an HD quality transfer and splicing it together again). It'd be expensive but cool to see stuff gone back for another pass.
Thats why it was originally rumored to be put on hold. Along with the fact that they walked in front of theviewscreen so much, they would have to do a lot of rotoscoping.

Not the rumor is they've gotten past that issue.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-10-2011, 05:47 AM
Looking forward to this!!!

one question, Will Wesley Crusher be "re-mastered" out of it? :p j/k