Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
05-11-2011, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashur1
Did your crystal ball tell you that ?

You know witchcraft is forbidden.
The method was the following:
Each player reg creates a forum user, too.
When you log into your account for whatever reason last active date will update. The log into the account includes forum login AND game login! So even if you never ever post or come to the forums, the last active on your forum profile will update.
I checked ~900 accounts in an uniform spread where the reg date was not within 30 days. I counted 46 accounts where the last active date was within 30 days.
46/900=0.051
0.051*930.000 (total regs)=47.533
Add inactive lifers and ppl who sub but don't play, deduct demo users, factor is probablity error and ~50k sounds OK.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
05-11-2011, 03:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra37 View Post
The method was the following:
Each player reg creates a forum user, too.
When you log into your account for whatever reason last active date will update. The log into the account includes forum login AND game login! So even if you never ever post or come to the forums, the last active on your forum profile will update.
I checked ~900 accounts in an uniform spread where the reg date was not within 30 days. I counted 46 accounts where the last active date was within 30 days.
46/900=0.051
0.051*930.000 (total regs)=47.533
Add inactive lifers and ppl who sub but don't play, deduct demo users, factor is probablity error and ~50k sounds OK.
I basically agree with your assessment, but: when did you last check theese numbers?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
05-11-2011, 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Since when is "acounts" (while obviously missspelled now that I look at it) qualify as a bad word, since it needs to be partially cencored?
double check your original spelling. if that o was a c (which can look very similar on a computer screen) then you spelt a very rude word.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
05-11-2011, 03:21 AM
Hm, around 5 days ago.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
05-11-2011, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
double check your original spelling. if that o was a c (which can look very similar on a computer screen) then you spelt a very rude word.
I don't look at my keyboard while typing... And C and O are too far away to be a key-stroke-error... Hmm... odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendra37 View Post
Hm, around 5 days ago.
Might want to be careful then... Alot of people are currently preparing for finals and going on vacation, so the numbers might just be a representation of the people who actually still have time to play, rather than the actual count.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
05-11-2011, 03:52 AM
Fact is, most MMO developers/publishers don't put out detailed player numbers. Some did, in the past...but generally the practice has fallen out of favour. These days most companies keep quiet about it.

But what they do tell you is...how much money they're pulling in.

In the case of Atari, the most recent financial data available is up to Feb 2011.

Atari's online revenue (which is known to be mainly STO and Champions subscription + C-store money) was 18.4 million over the first nine months of FY2010/2011. Atari financial reports are in Euros, because they're French-owned these days.

So about 2.04 million per month, as an average (or $2.946 million per month, in US dollars).

And that's about as far as I'm willing to break it down, because while Atari says most of that is from STO and Champions, we don't know exactly how much. We also don't know how much of that is new digital distribution 'box' sales, we don't know how much of that is subscription, we don't know how much is C-store.

Another caveat: these numbers include the months following STO's launch in February 2010, so that's gonna skew the average slightly. I assume that player population has declined post-launch. These numbers also include the Champions F2P launch in January 2011, which supposedly increased revenue coming in from Champs.

But all things considered, the numbers aren't bad. Admittedly, this is just revenue; we don't know how much actual profit Atari is making, or how much money gets put back into STO.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
05-11-2011, 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acylion
Fact is, most MMO developers/publishers don't put out detailed player numbers. Some did, in the past...but generally the practice has fallen out of favour. These days most companies keep quiet about it.

But what they do tell you is...how much money they're pulling in.

In the case of Atari, the most recent financial data available is up to Feb 2011.

Atari's online revenue (which is known to be mainly STO and Champions subscription + C-store money) was 18.4 million over the first nine months of FY2010/2011. Atari financial reports are in Euros, because they're French-owned these days.

So about 2.04 million per month, as an average (or $2.946 million per month, in US dollars).

And that's about as far as I'm willing to break it down, because while Atari says most of that is from STO and Champions, we don't know exactly how much. We also don't know how much of that is new digital distribution 'box' sales, we don't know how much of that is subscription, we don't know how much is C-store.

Another caveat: these numbers include the months following STO's launch in February 2010, so that's gonna skew the average slightly. I assume that player population has declined post-launch. These numbers also include the Champions F2P launch in January 2011, which supposedly increased revenue coming in from Champs.

But all things considered, the numbers aren't bad. Admittedly, this is just revenue; we don't know how much actual profit Atari is making, or how much money gets put back into STO.
The time interval is April 1st to December 31st, 2010. So the launch box sales and the lifer subs and the CO F2P numbers are not included. 55m Euro revenue decrease in 9 months? Wow!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
05-11-2011, 01:22 PM
MMOs only tend to reveal their numbers when they are actually happy/proud of them, rarely do they give out an exact number but usually you get a 'over X amount of active accounts'

id dread to think of how low the pop really is here, 3/4 the people i know ingame are the sort who only appear every week or two when something new is out

also a huge chunk of lifers dont bother playing at all between 'seasons'
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
05-11-2011, 06:20 PM
The only MMO that I know publishes their numbers is WoW...because they brag about it.

STO has enough active accounts...to stay afloat. Also micro transactions these days, make up for a LOT of income.

Does it really matter the exact number?

There's generally enough people online to keep me entertained when I log in...Granted...I ONLY talk to Ten Forward....Zone chat just scares me.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
05-11-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say.... about tree fiddy...
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:50 PM.